Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Tumblety, Francis: Tumblety - Hermaphrodite. - by GUT 3 hours ago.
Tumblety, Francis: Tumblety - Hermaphrodite. - by Wolf Vanderlinden 5 hours ago.
Shades of Whitechapel: Centenaries - whole and half - by Mayerling 5 hours ago.
Scene of the Crimes: East End Walk - by barnflatwyngarde 5 hours ago.
A6 Murders: A6 Rebooted - by NickB 5 hours ago.
Shades of Whitechapel: Centenaries - whole and half - by Qlder 6 hours ago.

Most Popular Threads:
A6 Murders: A6 Rebooted - (6 posts)
Shades of Whitechapel: Centenaries - whole and half - (2 posts)
Tumblety, Francis: Tumblety - Hermaphrodite. - (2 posts)
Scene of the Crimes: East End Walk - (1 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Discussions > Victims > Non-Canonical Victims > Emma Smith

Old 05-28-2016, 01:17 AM
Sergeant

Default Bank Holiday murders

I really want to recommend Tom Westcott's book, Its a game changer. Any understanding of Emma's Smith murder, must be seen in context, its similarity to Tabrum, the assaults and murders of women in a short time connected with Lodging houses in George St and Flower and Dean St. The power of the Lords of Spitalfields. The lies the cover ups. The signifcnce of Pearly Poll and her lies.
The investigation by Tom taking evidence, and placing it in context, and rediscovering important facts that have been overlooked, really makes one rethink previous accepted theories.

Miss Marple
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 01:32 AM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by miss marple View Post
I really want to recommend Tom Westcott's book, Its a game changer. Any understanding of Emma's Smith murder, must be seen in context, its similarity to Tabrum, the assaults and murders of women in a short time connected with Lodging houses in George St and Flower and Dean St. The power of the Lords of Spitalfields. The lies the cover ups. The signifcnce of Pearly Poll and her lies.
The investigation by Tom taking evidence, and placing it in context, and rediscovering important facts that have been overlooked, really makes one rethink previous accepted theories.

Miss Marple
It's a great book.

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.
Old 05-28-2016, 08:22 PM
Commisioner

Default Much appreciated

Quote:
Originally Posted by miss marple View Post

Miss Marple
Thanks for that, Miss Marple. I'm humbled and very appreciative, particularly when a reader 'gets' what I'm going for. The pulse of my book is a very simple, but I believe a very significant point: The Whitechapel murder series began with no less than four women who were attacked - three of them fatally - and all lived in one of two neighboring houses. These events occurred not over the span of decades, or years, but mere months. That's not a theory, or a speculation. That's historical record. In the billion Ripper books published it's never discussed. That's pretty astounding. Remarkably, even after the publication of my book, it is still considered irrelevant by every...single...Ripperologist who has any measure of influence. Somehow it's my 'conspiracy theory'. Go figure. All my other stuff in the book was just me trying to make sense of this very unfortunate but very real series of events, and with the now rather obvious fact that Pearly Poll had not told the truth and was not believed by Inspector Reid. While my evidence is lost on the current crop of Ripper writers I have every confidence it will be picked up by a future generation and they will run with it.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott
Old 05-28-2016, 09:27 PM
Chief Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom_Wescott View Post
While my evidence is lost on the current crop of Ripper writers I have every confidence it will be picked up by a future generation and they will run with it.
Tom,
This sounds like you're done researching! Don't give up on the current crop just yet. I admit I am one of the billion who did not discuss it, but I've found problems I'm working on elsewhere!

I know you're not done, so I'm looking forward to it.

Regards,
Mike
Old 05-28-2016, 10:24 PM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mklhawley View Post
Tom,
This sounds like you're done researching! Don't give up on the current crop just yet. I admit I am one of the billion who did not discuss it, but I've found problems I'm working on elsewhere!

I know you're not done, so I'm looking forward to it.

Regards,
Mike
Hi Mike, thanks. I'm not done writing. My last point was more an observation than a rant. My book was very well received, just not by the Ripperati. But they were kind in their own way by not blasting me with mean reviews, so for that I'm much obliged. And it has sold insanely well. I've got one more essay to write and then the first draft of my new Ripper book will be complete. My take on Schwartz is completely different from yours, but I think you might like mine better.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott
Old 05-28-2016, 11:49 PM
Commisioner

I've received a couple of e-mails and, along with Mike's reply, I feel I misrepresented myself in my first post on this thread. I do not at all feel that I have personally been treated poorly in Ripperology since my book came out. Quite the opposite, in fact. My experience has been great and the book has done far better than I ever expected. i've received a ton of positive feedback and most of the criticism, where it was informed, has been helpful. New discoveries have since been made by researchers that has bolstered some of my ideas and smashed to pieces others. Both are equally welcome by me. As someone who has studied crime for decades, I find it remarkable that these four women (Horsnell, Hames, Smith, Tabram) lived in two neighboring houses and were brutally assaulted/murdered inside an 8 month period leading right up to Nichols. Either this was a remarkable coincidence or it wasn't. If it wasn't, it might afford us the best clue we've had (in modern times) to the Ripper's identity. I've no idea what that identity is, but I'd take a look at the men in the employ of these landlords at the time. John Arundell and his kind. I don't think it's the unlikeliest thing that's ever been proposed. But I apologize if my first post had an anti-Cabal ring to it. That wasn't what I was going for.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott
Old 05-29-2016, 03:08 AM
Chief Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom_Wescott View Post
Thanks for that, Miss Marple. I'm humbled and very appreciative, particularly when a reader 'gets' what I'm going for. The pulse of my book is a very simple, but I believe a very significant point: The Whitechapel murder series began with no less than four women who were attacked - three of them fatally - and all lived in one of two neighboring houses. These events occurred not over the span of decades, or years, but mere months. That's not a theory, or a speculation. That's historical record. In the billion Ripper books published it's never discussed. That's pretty astounding. Remarkably, even after the publication of my book, it is still considered irrelevant by every...single...Ripperologist who has any measure of influence. Somehow it's my 'conspiracy theory'. Go figure. All my other stuff in the book was just me trying to make sense of this very unfortunate but very real series of events, and with the now rather obvious fact that Pearly Poll had not told the truth and was not believed by Inspector Reid. While my evidence is lost on the current crop of Ripper writers I have every confidence it will be picked up by a future generation and they will run with it.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott
Tom,
I also enjoyed your book. Unfortunately, my memory isn't good about the details at this point.

How old was Pearly Poll during the murders?

Thanks,
Old 05-29-2016, 08:06 AM
Sergeant

Pearly Poll was 35ish, but that may not be completely accurate, She could have been older. She was mannish and rough looking.

Miss Marple
Old 05-29-2016, 09:00 AM
Inspector

According to her entry on the witnesses page, she was about 50, born circa 1838.
Old 05-29-2016, 09:03 AM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Rogan View Post
According to her entry on the witnesses page, she was about 50, born circa 1838.
Hi Josh, the witness's page is mistaken. I don't think a lot of those pages have been updated over the years. She was around Martha Tabram's age.

Thanks for that, Curious.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott