Not Belgravia then?

Great photo Christian.
    Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

• Originally posted by Christian View Post
      Old Montague Street
      Any details on this one? Looks post war, either bomb damage or general dilapidation.

The remains of the shop sign are still visible but I can't make it out.
      Thems the Vagaries.....

Comment

• Originally posted by Al Bundy's Eyes View Post

Any details on this one? Looks post war, either bomb damage or general dilapidation.

Afraid not just came across image Al

Comment

• Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post

Not Belgravia then?

Great photo Christian.
          Thanks H

Comment

• Originally posted by Al Bundy's Eyes View Post

Hi Al,
            It looks like like the shop is STRONGWATER (at least that's what I could make out) which was a butchers based on a comment I found at this site -

Val Mutch PERMALINK
            October 22, 2021

Such sad pictures. I grew up on the East End and my father was a Kosher butcher. He worked for Maxie Strongwater in Old Montague Street. He made the best Vienna’s and SaltBeef ever.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ven View Post

Hi Al,
              It looks like like the shop is STRONGWATER (at least that's what I could make out) which was a butchers based on a comment I found at this site -

Val Mutch PERMALINK
              October 22, 2021

Such sad pictures. I grew up on the East End and my father was a Kosher butcher. He worked for Maxie Strongwater in Old Montague Street. He made the best Vienna’s and SaltBeef ever.
              Thanks Ven,

Yes, definitely Strongwater. Thanks for that link, absolutely fascinating, great pictures. Really shows the effects of time and change. Interesting personal connection you've got there too.
              Thems the Vagaries.....

Comment

• One of my photos Vine Court 1994

Comment

• Lovley colour image Goulston st entrance early 50s

Comment

• Hi all.

This popped up in one of my Facebook history groups this morning. It's tagged as a picture of "Victorian Slums in London, 1890", but for a Victorian slum, it looks remarkably clean (and recently white washed) to me? The other features of the building seem off to me too, but it did cross my mind that it might be an old barn or storage shed that was being used to doss in.

All I've been able to establish so far is that the Guardian seem to use the picture frequently for pieces on housing. I'm going to keep poking around, but I was wondering if any of the very knowledgeable folk on this site have any insight into where in London this could be?
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	img_1_1681367585069.webp
Views:	1427
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	808452

Comment

• Some appear to be Chinese.
                      My name is Dave. You cannot reach me through Debs email account

Comment

• Nope,not Chinese.

My name is Dave. You cannot reach me through Debs email account

Comment

• Hi all,

I thought this exhibition may be of interest to anyone in the London area.

I'd definitely be going if I didn't live so far away.

Conditions of Living: Images of Home and Homelessness in London’s East End is the latest exhibition at the Four Corners gallery. Documenting housing over 100 years, it bears witness to how little has changed, including unstable living conditions, homelessness and inflated rents. The exhibition runs until 2 September

Plus it's always nice to give this excellent thread a run out....!

Comment

Working...
                          X