Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
A6 Murders: A6 Rebooted - by cobalt 11 hours ago.
Mary Jane Kelly: A theory about some injuries! - by Fisherman 12 hours ago.
Motive, Method and Madness: Same motive = same killer - by RockySullivan 12 hours ago.
A6 Murders: A6 Rebooted - by cobalt 12 hours ago.
A6 Murders: A6 Rebooted - by cobalt 12 hours ago.
Conferences and Meetings: American Jack the Ripper - True Crime Conference, Baltimore, April 7-8, 2018 - by ChrisGeorge 15 hours ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Mary Jane Kelly: A theory about some injuries! - (10 posts)
A6 Murders: A6 Rebooted - (8 posts)
Motive, Method and Madness: Same motive = same killer - (7 posts)
Witnesses: Why doubt a soldier murdered Tabram? - (6 posts)
Shades of Whitechapel: Centenaries - whole and half - (2 posts)
Audio -- Visual: Mention of JtR in recent episode of "The Flash" - (2 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Discussions > Victims > Non-Canonical Victims > Martha Tabram

Old 04-24-2011, 05:55 AM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve S View Post
It doesn't help the the British Army changed bayonets fron the triangular socket to the knife style....in 1888!....But I'm sure there's a reference to 2nd-hand ones being sold in Petticoat Lane,so it doesn't need to tie in a soldier at all.......
Steve
Tom Cullen provided a footnote in his, Autumn of Terror, p 36 ppbk.

"An unexpected result of the Tabram inquest was that soldiers stationed in the Tower of London were forbidden to carry bayonets or any sidearms while on leave. This information was given to me by James W. Bousfield, whose mother ran a boarding-house at No. 4 Star court (now Planet Street) where Martha Tabram lodged...."Autumn of Terror, Cullen, 1973.

Believe it, or not...
Old 04-24-2011, 06:26 PM
Detective

Lightbulb bayonets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wickerman View Post
Tom Cullen provided a footnote in his, Autumn of Terror, p 36 ppbk.

"An unexpected result of the Tabram inquest was that soldiers stationed in the Tower of London were forbidden to carry bayonets or any sidearms while on leave. This information was given to me by James W. Bousfield, whose mother ran a boarding-house at No. 4 Star court (now Planet Street) where Martha Tabram lodged...."Autumn of Terror, Cullen, 1973.

Believe it, or not...
I teach Civil War era bayonet drill and I have handled both Triangular and Sword bayonets. Obviously the Triangular bayonet lacking a hilt would be next to useless in Tabram's murder. A sword bayonet could have been used but I would expect to deep wounds prompting massive damage. In my novel I pose the theory and use it for fictional purposes that Tabram is killed by a sailor she tried to steal from with a dagger that gets stuck and has to be wiggled to be removed. One person with two weapons would be cumbersome to my mind and two killers, well the eminent Dr. Benjamin Franklin said, "Two people can keep a secret if one of them is dead."

Last edited by YankeeSergeant : 04-24-2011 at 06:27 PM. Reason: spelling for fun and adventure
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 11:01 PM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by YankeeSergeant View Post
I teach Civil War era bayonet drill and I have handled both Triangular and Sword bayonets.
Ann & I use to go to Civil War reenactments every year around the Province, we enjoyed the costumes and history of the times. I wore a CSA kepi for every day use back in the 90's, loved the cap. I should get another. I bought it from a Suttler's somewhere in Michigan.

Quote:
Obviously the Triangular bayonet lacking a hilt would be next to useless in Tabram's murder....
Certainly, if Tabram had been stabbed with the spike-bayonet I would expect it to go clean through to her spine. And, there would have been no mention of a 'dagger-like' weapon.

Quote:
In my novel I pose the theory and use it for fictional purposes that Tabram is killed by a sailor she tried to steal from with a dagger that gets stuck and has to be wiggled to be removed....
Interesting..
You are no doubt aware that some have theorized that a smaller knife was used on Tabram to produce the wound in the breasbone. That the reason the hole 'looked' bigger was because the killer had to wiggle the knife to get it out - stupid idea!
Anyone could recreate this scenario by placing a plastic lid over a full bowl of jelly (jello). Then stab a penknife through the plastic lid, into the jelly and then wiggle the knife in an attempt to make the hole larger WITHOUT leaving any 'wiggle' impressions in the jelly - impossible!

The actual wound was larger and more important deeper, which side-to-side wiggling cannot reproduce.
Old 04-25-2011, 01:12 AM
Cadet

The British Army was then using the Lee-Metford rifle with the sword pattern/88 bayonet with a 12 inch blade. Some, particularly Colonial and Militia units, would probably have still had the Martini-Henry with the correspondingly longer sword bayonet of 18.5 inch blades.

The MH 1886/7 sword bayonet was really too unwieldy off the rifle to be used for repeated stabbing, but the Metford bayonet at 12 inches was eminently suitable.

As a previous poster was I think saying the earlier triangular socket bayonet was never intended as a hand held weapon, being again only really effective when attached to the rifle.

Peter
Old 12-01-2014, 02:58 AM
Premium Member
Inspector

Saying Killeen was influenced by PC Barrett and/or media doesn't explain that Killeen identified a left hand was used on the chest wound.

So not only did Killeen identify a different knife, he said it was done by another hand.

In order for the single knife theory to work you need an ambidextrous killer ... Or just smear Killeen as incompetent.
Old 12-01-2014, 12:27 PM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman View Post
Saying Killeen was influenced by PC Barrett and/or media doesn't explain that Killeen identified a left hand was used on the chest wound.

So not only did Killeen identify a different knife, he said it was done by another hand.

In order for the single knife theory to work you need an ambidextrous killer ... Or just smear Killeen as incompetent.
Killeen did not identify a second hand. I'm aware of his comment that one of the wounds could have been inflicted by a different hand. The key word here is 'could'. We don't know to which would he was referring, but whatever difference Killeen perceived could also be explained by a change of the killer's position.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott