Elizabeth Jackson murder account

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Elizabeth Jackson murder account

I recently wrote an account of the murder of Elizabeth Jackson which I sent to Stephen to put on casebook.
    Unfortunately it looks like Stephen will be busy sorting out the site for some time to come so I've posted the piece to the web for anyone who would like to read it. I think I have found something in the press reporting of the case that has not been published before.

Elizabeth Jackson murder

Any feedback welcome.

Hi Deb,

Thanks for that presentation. I first read about this case in Rumbelow's book back in the mid 1970s but the victim's name wasn't given there I don't believe.

The first I saw the name Elizabeth Jackson was in The Book of Lists, c. 1977. In that publication, Richard O'Neill listed her as one of "10 Possible Victims" (of JtR). The other 9 were the ones most commonly mentioned.
    Last edited by sdreid; 02-19-2008, 02:48 AM.
    This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

Comment

Thanks Stan
      I'd read about Elizabeth a while ago too, but apart from the mention of dismemberment, the actual details of the medical evidence were never given, mainly because the press were asked to supress those reports at the time I suppose. When I came across the torso victims medical details in the System of Legal medicine book a few years ago ( ...and I'm not claiming to be the first to do so here either! ) I was surprised that Elizabeth is not mentioned more than she is in connection with JTR.

Dismemberment for concealment of a body is one thing, but if there was a serial torso murderer at large at the same time as JTR and if Elizabeth was a victim of his, then he too was also into mutilation of his victims surely? Why remove flaps of abdominal flesh, a foetus from a womb via an incision after the victim is dead and then remove the womb from the body? What concealment/transportation purpose does that serve?
      Most people separate dismemberment from mutilation, but Elizabeth seemed to have both aspects and I find this really interesting....even if no one else does

I'd be interested to know if anyone has any ideas on the 'plugging' of a certain part of the body that i uncovered in the press. I wonder how that points to a murderer with 'marine' knowledge?....anyone

Comment

Debs,

I was led to believe that dismemberement was a gangland trait, you found anything on this or was I falsely led...again ?

Cheers
        Monty
        Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

Hi Debra,

Great piece of writing, I have several "Torso" related press reports from the period, all from Hull newspapers, so I will have a dig and see what I can find.

Regards Mike
          Regards Mike

Comment

Thanks for showing an interest Monty...a Lady Godiva was it?

Comment

Thanks Mike,
              It would be great to see what you have newspaper report wise.

Comment

I have the following "Torso" reports
                Eastern Morning News, Thurs Sept 13th 88
                Eastern Morning News, Thurs Oct 4th 88
                Eastern Morning News, Saturday Oct 6th 88
                eastern Morning News, Tues Oct 18th 88
                Eastern Morning News, Wed Oct 19th 88
                Hull Daily Mail May 1891 Regents Canal Torso
                Hull and North Lincolnshire Times Sept 20th 1873 Thames Torso
                Hull and North Lincolnshire Times sept 30th 1873 Thames Torso
                Hull and East Yorkshire and Lincolnshire Times Oct 13th 88 Whitehall
                Hull and East Yorkshire and Lincolnshire Times Oct 20th 88 Whitehall

Female bodies in Thames (No Mutilations)
                Eastern Morning News, Oct 8th 88
                Eastern Morning News Oct 9th 88

Any of intrest I can scan and post them, any other dates send me a PM as I visit the library twice a week to print them off, and i will gladly get copies and send them to you or post them on here.

Good luck with the work Mike
                (There were 4 Hull Newspapers reoprting the affairs in London during 1888 and later)
                Regards Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Debra A View Post
                  Thanks for showing an interest Monty...a Lady Godiva was it?

It certainly was Ms Walker

MOnty
                  Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

Mike,
                    Many thanks! It would be great if you could scan them and post them to the torso thread, I think i've seen one of those listed around here somewhere. I'm especially intrigued by the 'Hull Daily Mail May 1891 Regents Canal Torso'...I can't place an 1891 Regents canal one at the moment....can you post that one first?!...please please please

Monty,
                    I'll see you right...either when I get my new glasses or my inheritance from ggg uncle whisky Johnny comes through.

Re the gangland thing, I know someone posted before the crash about the torsos and gangland connection, I think it may have been Pinkerton, although they didn't elaborate...wish they would though.

Comment

Hi all,

It seems to me that AP posted something (pre-crash) about a torso victim around the 1891 time frame that I hadn't heard of before but maybe I'm not remembering it correctly.

Stan Reid

Comment

P.S.

With the absence of people like AP and Mr. P, it seems that we've lost more than data in the crash; we've lost some good posters as well even if they were a little grumpy sometimes.

Stan Reid

Comment

Originally posted by sdreid View Post
                          With the absence of people like AP and Mr. P we've lost some good posters as well
                          MrP is still with us, I'm glad to say. I hope Greyhunter and AP get back on line soon.
                          Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Stan
                            I think you're right, I haven't the best memory in the world, but I did trawl the chached wotsit archives thinking AP had probably posted something on this 1891 murder, but didn't find it...He should be here, it's not right without him.

Comment

Hi Deb,

Again, if I'm remembering correctly, I think AP's post was a newspaper clipping. I'd guess it was about 6 months back.

Stan Reid

Comment

Working...
                              X