Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chris View Post
    Back to lesbian lizards ...

There's a question, though. Has there ever been a gay (male) alien on Doctor Who? Surely there must have been, but I can't immediately think of one.
    Interesting question. There is, of course, "Captain Jack Harkness", played by John Barrowman, a time-traveling rascal from a Earth future, as far as we know he is all human, but he is also described as a "pan-sexual" (supposedly because they're not so hung up on such things in the future), so we can at least say yes to the gay male, even if we're not so sure about the alien part. The Harkness character later got his own show, "Torchwood", by which time Jack had gained the trait of immortality (thanks to an accident aboard the TARDIS), and was depicted as a bi-sexual.
    Jack's former lover, Captain John (played by James Marsters), another time-agent, may or may not be human, but was definitely a gay male.

During the Tenth Doctor's era, under show-runner Russell T. Davies, there were two passing mentions to same-sex couples (one a pair of human-looking women on an futuristic colony), and another a pair of human men on a ship or space station.

I think we can be safe saying Cybermen are sexless, and I doubt Dalek creatures have any sexuality (maybe that's why they're driven by hatred of everyone else!)
    Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
    ---------------
    Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
    ---------------

Comment

Originally posted by Robert View Post
      I must say that I have never visualised the Doctor as a sexual creature at all. Avuncular, wacky, comical etc, but not sexual. The idea of the Doctor falling in love with/lusting after anyone fills me with horror. They'll be bloody hugging each other in the Tardis next.
      I know what you're saying, but the First Doctor must at one point in his life have married, had children, and presumably grand-children, else how to explain his "granddaughter", Susan?

That said, I am confident the Doctor really only "loves" his TARDIS ("she's a woman, and she's the TARDIS!"). I liked River Song until the storyline about who she was, who the Ponds were, and why she knew The Doctor's real name.

The Twelfth Doctor is a refreshing return to the days of Classic Who...
      Last edited by Pcdunn; 12-29-2014, 04:24 PM.
      ---------------
      Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
      ---------------

Comment

Yes, Bill Hartnell was a grandfather, which is odd because he was the youngest incarnation of the Doctor. A similar problem arose during 'The Three Doctors' when Hartnell, the youngest, had to offer advice to Pertwee and Troughton, who being older should have known more than Hartnell.

Comment

Originally posted by Beowulf View Post
          Love your byline

Thank you! I'm a long-time Dr Who fan, also a librarian, and was pretty thrilled to see a DW episode(s) set in a library of the future!
          ---------------
          ---------------

Comment

Hi Robert

Are you sure that reference didn't read "Dai Leghhht" ?

Comment

A Welsh dalek, Dave? A Welsh dalek would say "You will be exterminated, lovely boy." I was watching Windsor Davies being interviewed, and he said that in Wales 'lovely boy' has a slightly sinister and threatening connotation.

Comment

Originally posted by Pcdunn View Post
                I know what you're saying, but the First Doctor must at one point in his life have married, had children, and presumably grand-children, else how to explain his "granddaughter", Susan?
                Susan was a Time Lord too, and if she wasn`t his actual grand daughter they must have taken the title to explain their relationship, as the TARDIS became a police box in 1960`s England.

Comment

Working...
                X