X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leather Apron, Jack the Ripper, and the Whitechapel Murders

Has anyone read this book?

What did you think?

Is it something new or just the same old blurb regurgitated?

I'm looking for another "The Bank Holiday Murders" by Tom Wescott, will this do the trick?

Not even close.
    G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Originally posted by The Station Cat View Post
      Has anyone read this book?

What did you think?

Is it something new or just the same old blurb regurgitated?

I'm looking for another "The Bank Holiday Murders" by Tom Wescott, will this do the trick?
      Ripper Confidential has a similar writing style to Bank Holiday Murders. Same level of brilliance. However, while I suspect the author has little trouble getting dates with the ladies, calendrical dates are said not to be his strong point. Or topography. Definitely not topography. But these are very minor quibbles and I doubt anyone else is likely to notice. On the whole, Ripper Confidential is the best book ever written on any subject ever in the whole of the world.

I just called Tom to ask him if any Mike Covell books were similar in quality to his own. After I asked there was this shrill, inhuman noise, like if Satan sat on a running chainsaw or something, and then the line went dead. We must have had a bad connection. So, I'd probably just trust your GUT on this one.

Yours truly,

Joe Boggs

Comment

Originally posted by Tom_Wescott View Post
        Ripper Confidential has a similar writing style to Bank Holiday Murders. Same level of brilliance. However, while I suspect the author has little trouble getting dates with the ladies, calendrical dates are said not to be his strong point. Or topography. Definitely not topography. But these are very minor quibbles and I doubt anyone else is likely to notice. On the whole, Ripper Confidential is the best book ever written on any subject ever in the whole of the world.

I just called Tom to ask him if any Mike Covell books were similar in quality to his own. After I asked there was this shrill, inhuman noise, like if Satan sat on a running chainsaw or something, and then the line went dead. We must have had a bad connection. So, I'd probably just trust your GUT on this one.

Yours truly,

Joe Boggs

Thanks Tom ermm I mean Joe.

But in all seriousness, is this book worth picking up?

Comment

It's mostly a collection of contemporary newspaper reports of the time about leather apron.
          It's a great resource but very repetitive, I'm not entirely sure what the point was in repeating the same article from different newspapers but it wore me down and I started skimming.
          It might have been better to show where newspaper reports deviated from the text significantly enough to merit attention.
          Still, only 99p on offer from Amazon. And for anyone interested in the whole John Pizer business will find much to occupy them.
          I feel a bit guilty about the 99p price, I doubt many ripper authors are coining it in. Apart from Trev, who I reckon is well minted.

Comment

Originally posted by martin wilson View Post
            It's mostly a collection of contemporary newspaper reports of the time about leather apron.
            It's a great resource but very repetitive, I'm not entirely sure what the point was in repeating the same article from different newspapers but it wore me down and I started skimming.
            It might have been better to show where newspaper reports deviated from the text significantly enough to merit attention.
            Still, only 99p on offer from Amazon. And for anyone interested in the whole John Pizer business will find much to occupy them.
            I feel a bit guilty about the 99p price, I doubt many ripper authors are coining it in. Apart from Trev, who I reckon is well minted.
            If I had your money I would burn mine

Comment

Originally posted by martin wilson View Post
              thanks i'm actually looking for more books like this that are all newspaper articles

Comment

Originally posted by RockySullivan View Post
                thanks i'm actually looking for more books like this that are all newspaper articles
                There seems to have been a rash of similarly padded books in recent years, mostly of the self published variety.
                Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
                  There seems to have been a rash of similarly padded books in recent years, mostly of the self published variety.
                  The only ones I can find are by Mike Covell and i'm not even positive which are newspaper press reports. I think it's a great service because I love reading newspapers reports don't like doing it on the computer

Comment

Working...
                  X