Motivation for the Dear Boss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hands down

Hello Maria. Agreed. Hurlbert's hand is nothing like the "Dear Boss"--but neither is Bulling's.

Moore is MUCH closer.

Cheers.
    LC

Comment

thanks, mess mate

Hello Caroline. Thanks. Well spoke. The point could not have been better put.

Cheers.
      LC

Comment

Two of a Kind or One and the Same?

Very kind, Lynn. You are most welcome.

But if not a newspaper man, already up to his eyeballs in genuine headline news, I would have to ask who else would have been clever enough (or lucky enough) and puerile enough (or unbalanced enough), to dream up such a letter, which would find its way onto a policeman's desk in the nick of time, very shortly before part of an ear was nicked off.

Whether or not the killer intended to nick an ear for the police this time, it is near enough what happened. The piece he lopped off would have been hard to retrieve from among her clothes in the darkness, but it was retrieved later by other hands. For me, it's hard enough to reconcile the curious timing of these remarkable and newsworthy phenomena, but even harder to reconcile so much faith (by the majority) in Dear Boss being a hoax, like all the patent hoaxes that followed their leader. I will remain agnostic while there is no real evidence for two warped minds at work here or just the one. All I ever see are assumptions about motivation, leading to conclusions about authorship. As with the author of the murders themselves, motivation can only start to emerge when the individual responsible is identified.

Love,

Caz
        X
        Last edited by caz; 02-06-2012, 06:48 PM.
        "Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious." Peter Ustinov

Comment

Originally posted by lynn cates View Post
          Hello Errata. Yes, the first 2 killings.

If there were several letters sent, surely the CNA would have forwarded those too?

But I think I understand your view here--basically, a crank who hit upon a remarkable coincidence.

Cheers.
          LC
          Well that an interesting question. Did CNA forward letters to the police before Dear Boss? I mean, I'm sure if previous letters were equally spectacular but wrong, like if he said he was going to cut someone's legs off, or set a cat on fire and leave it as a beacon at her head or something, I would think those would go directly to the trash bin. But you gotta wonder when CNA figured out that they might in fact get a letter from the actual killer, and so started sending them on. I mean, I'm sure they got a lot of "the Murderer is my neighbor because he plays his music too loud" kinda notes.
          The early bird might get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Comment

Hello David. But that was AFTER the killings and surely contingent upon them.
            LC
            Hello Lynn. Pardon ?

Comment

At this point, and given the delays, it hardly inspires confidence that publicity was the main motive.
              Hi Lynn,

Seeing that the police didn’t have a single clue at that point (or any other), I think that whoever wrote it could be fairly sure the police would do something with it. They just had to. He could also be fairly sure the content of this first letter would add to the attention it would get, once it would be published.

All the best,
              Frank
              "You can rob me, you can starve me and you can beat me and you can kill me. Just don't bore me."
              Clint Eastwood as Gunny in "Heartbreak Ridge"

Comment

clever lad

Hello Caroline. Thanks.

I can think of one very newspaper man who was EXTREMELY clever, totally immoral, and who could set up a ruse years in advance. He was closely related to the CNA.

Cheers.
                LC

Comment

letters

Hello Errata. I don't think there were any previous letters--except those purporting to reveal a theory about the killer. "Dear Boss" claimed to be FROM the killer himself.

Cheers.
                  LC

Comment

fame

Hello David. If not for the "Double Event" I think the "Dear Boss" would have been discarded. Its fame evolved AFTER those murders.

Cheers.
                    LC

Comment

published

Hello Frank. Not sure why they would have acted. And if the "Double Event" didn't come off, into the dust bin it would go.

If nothing else had happened, why would it be published?

Cheers.
                      LC

Comment

Hi Lynn,
                        If nothing else had happened, why would it be published?
                        How long would they wait for something to happen? Two weeks, a month, two months?

The police had no other leads and couldn't know what would happen next and when. Yet, they still had at least two savage murder cases on their hands that needed solving. So, why wait for something to happen first?

All the best,
                        Frank
                        "You can rob me, you can starve me and you can beat me and you can kill me. Just don't bore me."

Comment

one for the "files"

Hello Frank. But surely the pressure to solve the crimes had lessened? It was now more than 2 weeks since the last slaying. Why not do what senior police officials do best--"file it away"?

How long? Well, as I recall, until next spring cleaning, after which it gets "promoted" to a circular dust bin.

Cheers.
                          LC

Comment

But surely the pressure to solve the crimes had lessened?
                            And because it had lessened, they should just ignore a possible clue? Why would it have lessened after only 2 weeks in the first place. I'm afraid I don't get your logic here, Lynn.

Cheers,
                            Frank

Comment

clue

Hello Frank. I am suggesting that, just after Chapman's killing, the public were at fever pitch for a solution. Later, that had died down somewhat.

Clues? Do you think that the City Police took it seriously? (I know that's difficult to say since it was there only part of a day.) But given CNA "dismissed" it why should ANYONE take it seriously--at least, until that night?

Cheers.
                              LC

Comment

Hello Errata. I don't think there were any previous letters--except those purporting to reveal a theory about the killer. "Dear Boss" claimed to be FROM the killer himself.

Cheers.
                                LC
                                Wow. If that's true London in 1888 had the most controlled and tight lipped group of crazies in the history of ever. There was a kidnapping here, and they had 30 confessions in the hour after the news broadcast. Sometimes humans are wacky.
                                The early bird might get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Comment

Working...
                                X