Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Simon Wood View Post
    Hi Roy,

You've drawn a conclusion I didn't make, but we'll let it pass.

THC was born in 1865, two years before CHC joined the Metropolitan Police.

If CHC was THC's father [and I have always stressed the if], then in 1891, the year of THC's offence, the story of an illegitimate child from an earlier adulterous affair would have destroyed his professional career, especially as said child was now up on charges of stabbing women and in some quarters thought to be the Whitechapel murderer. You can almost see the headlines—"Scotland Yard Detective Father of Jack the Ripper". CHC retired quietly in August 1891, just a few months after the THC case, at the age of 47. There wasn't a sniff of scandal at the time, but I wouldn't mind betting on the possibility that by 1894 the Sun newspaper had done some digging and made a connection with the name Cutbush.

Do do do do, do do do do,

Simon [Rod] Wood

It may be worth remembering that Annie Millwood was stabbed in the lower abdomen and thighs in February 1888 when she was living at 8 Whites Row Whitechapel.
    At Kew in the MEPO files it states that Supt Charles Cutbush has "stab wounds on his thighs"-origin unknown.
    I always thought it a bit strange since Thomas very clearly had a predilection for stabbing bottoms and thighs which was why he was sent to Broadmoor.

Comment

Originally posted by Simon Wood
      I'm starting to get all Cutbushed out.
      That's what happens when you get too much THC in your system.

Originally posted by Robert
      Hang on because I have to nip out for my fags and then cook my sausages
      See, Linford's already got the munchies.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Hi Norma,

Like father like son?

It's not exactly the sort of thing you catch like the flu.

Regards,

Simon
        Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Comment

Simon,
          Yes,perhaps.
          Its a bit freakish when you see it in this otherwise very formal file, chock full of straightforward entries about a policeman"s height, colour of eyes, length of service, awards etc. Its strange being suddenly hit by the mention of a pair of thighs covered in scars from old knife wounds.
          Cheers Simon,
          Norma

Comment

My post Jan 6th 2005 gives Kate and Clara's wills.

Nats, it was only one or two scars, wasn't it?

Comment

Hi Robert,
              Thanks for posting that link.
              btw, was it CHC's left or right thigh that had the knife scars? I've looked at some old posts on this and one researcher said it was the left, another the right. Or was it both?

Comment

Robert and Debs,
                Yes ,the entry gives the following information about these wounds:

where it is written,-"if injured": a tick is placed --- but no other comment though other policemen in the file who have scars or injuries do usually have a comment of some kind alongside the tick-where it happened etc.

Just the following description is entered:

knifewounds right thigh

Comment

Walter Andrews' record showed that he had scars on his legs too. Marks from thrombosis surgery. It wasn't an easy job, being in the Met.

Comment

Working...
                  X