Stephenson Related Pictures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

C@CK and Pye cont

Right!- a bit of a challenge here.... but have found two references in Shakespeare's 'The Merry Wives of Windsor' as I type and somewhere in the next link is the phrase used too

Tantalisingly there seems to be loads of pubs in the Ipswich/Suffolk area with this name too.... Come in Grey Hunter!!!!
    Hmmmmmm
    Last edited by Suzi; 03-30-2008, 12:56 AM.
    'Would you like to see my African curiosities?'

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	**** and pye2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	653251 SERIOUSLY OLDE WORLDE Pubbe here!!!. .. But the name's right! Just above the Sky sports sign etc etc hehe!.... God I hope it's nobody's local here!!!!!!
      S'in Ipswich!
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Suzi; 03-30-2008, 01:08 AM.
      'Would you like to see my African curiosities?'

Comment

Hi David

Many thanks for the info and pictures. Our Dr Davies was certainly a handsome fellow. I just noticed that there are two interesting names opposite Castle Street on Rob's post#11 map, Fireball Court and C*ck a Hoop Lane.

Hi Colin

Brilliant work as always So now we know exactly where The Prince Albert pub and Stephenson's lodging house were. Here are the old houses opposite the lodging house which would have been on the left at the top of the picture.

Name:	st martins 009.jpg
Size:	113.8 KB
ID:	653253

And here is the view from the opposite direction. The lodging house would have been on the near right.

Name:	st martins 013.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	653254

Lastly, the pub was where the building with the large window is on the very left of this photo. The redbrick building, by the way, is the office of Equity, the British actor's union.

Name:	st martins 011.jpg
Size:	132.5 KB
ID:	653255
        allisvanityandvexationofspirit

Comment

This is 119 Houndsditch in 1910, behind this building the Houndsditch murders occured. 119 Is also directly opposite Castle/Goring Street.

Name:	IlN 24 December 1910 Harris's Shop.jpg
Size:	196.3 KB
ID:	653257

Rob

Comment

Mention of Seven Dials earlier reminded me of an interesting thread in Pub Talk on the 'lost' boards. Suzi posted a colourised Victorian photo supposedly taken outside an East End pub which prompted several jokes.Here it is.

Name:	seven dials 1.jpg
Size:	90.0 KB
ID:	653258

From the street sign on this photo I was able to tentatively place the location as Seven Dials.

Name:	queen st.jpg
Size:	146.6 KB
ID:	653259

What fun it was to find that the building was still there.

Name:	st martins 005.jpg
Size:	145.3 KB
ID:	653260

What has this got to do with Stephenson?

Well here's the man himself.

Name:	rds.jpg
Size:	35.9 KB
ID:	653261

Seven Dials is a literal stones throw from Castle Street and the man on the photo looks very like Stephenson. Check that moustache! Could this be him expounding his theory to George Marsh???????

Hmmmm

Comment

For the earlier years of Robert D'Onston Stephenson, his family and the places they lived and worked look here

It also contains the most complete chronology to date on the man and his family, loads of photos, maps, and other intresting bits of info.

Regards Mike

Comment

Hi Stephen,

Oddly enough a cut glass decanter turned up on BBC's Bargain Hunt the other day, and I could swear it was etched with the legend "Greenlees Whisky". Whatever, I was reminded instantly of that thread. Thanks for resurrecting those images and giving them the "then and now" treatment.
                Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen Thomas View Post
                  What fun it was to find that the building was still there.
                  [ATTACH]1093[/ATTACH]
                  And again, Stephen !!!

Name:	405.jpg
Size:	188.6 KB
ID:	653263
                  Queen Street, St. Giles in the Fields
                  looking northeast from Seven Dials, February 2007

The red-brick building in the background was the British Lying-In Hospital, which stood at the corner of Endell Street and Short's Gardens, St. Giles in the Fields. Just opposite, on the north side of Short's Gardens (to the left), stood one of the entrances to the St. Giles in the Fields & St. George Bloomsbury Workhouse, depicted below:

Name:	406.jpg
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	653264
                  "The Crawlers"
                  Entrance to St. Giles in the Fields & St. George Bloomsbury Workhouse
                  circa 1877

The woman was minding the child of a friend, who had found work in a coffee house.

Once again; those folks in the West End had it so easy !!!

Colin Click image for larger version

Name:	Septic Blue.gif
Views:	112
Size:	12.4 KB
ID:	653265
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Septic Blue View Post

those folks in the West End had it so easy !!!

Indeed, Colin. NOT!!!

As we know there were rookeries everywhere in London then and St Giles was the very worst of the lot.

Best wishes

p.s. Couldn't make Wembly today, just as well given the result, but mightr be there for the play off final if things go well.

Comment

Originally posted by Septic Blue View Post
                      Once again; those folks in the West End had it so easy !!!
                      Folks should remind themselves of that from time to time, Colin - noting the irony in your comment first, of course!
                      Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Hi All,

The original name of Seven Dials was C*ck and Pye Fields.

Regards,

Simon
                        Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Comment

Hi

I realise that this is of no important consequence but I have a friend (whose family originate from the Yorkshire area,) who is the spitting image of Robert D Stephenson. The resemblence is uncanny, next time I see him I intend to ask him if it would be possible to take a photo of him and post it here in this thread.

Observer

Comment

Of marginal importance to the great scheme of Ripperology, but maybe of interest to some, here are a couple of pictures of Pratt Street in Camden Town, North London close to where I live.

Name:	Pratt St 005.jpg
Size:	146.4 KB
ID:	653296

Name:	Pratt St 006.jpg
Size:	181.4 KB
ID:	653297

Stephenson's 'pseudo detective' pal who he met in a pub on Upper St Martins Lane lived on this street at #24 (since demolished). Another strange coincidence here, like the Dr Davies of Davis Ward who lived on a Castle Street the same as Stephenson, is the fact that the only pub on Pratt Street is called the St Martins Tavern.

Name:	st martins 018.jpg
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	653299

Comment

MMM, I see it's for sale too!! One wonders how much a public house in this vicinity goes for??
                              Regards Mike

Comment

Hi Mike

Within a year it will probably be 'St Martins Apartments' containing loads of pokey flats selling for £500,000 each. I kid you not.

Comment

Working...
                                X