Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did 1888 influence the capture of Crippen ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did 1888 influence the capture of Crippen ?

I just had a thought (yes just the one !) in wondering if the experiences as a young policeman during the 1888 murders,good or bad,influenced Walter Dew,as well as driving him on ,in his quest to capture Crippen.

Having read the book 'I caught Crippen' last year it isn't fully mentioned,but the way he wrote it does seem to show a certain determination at the time of Crippen that maybe other officers who hadn't experienced the Whitechapel Murders wouldn't have had so much of.

I get the feeling that he didn't want another murderer to get away with it ala JtR.

Any thoughts on this at all out there ?

Hi Halomanuk,

Actually it is a pretty interesting theory. But I also think that Dew was a bit put out of joint because the Doctor briefly fooled him. Dew was believing the story (a highly plausible one) that Belle had fled because she was having an affair, and Hawley was trying to hide his embarrassment. Dew's knowledge of the two people suggested Hawley was better (usually) at maintaining a conservative facade, and Belle more flamboyant, and also rougher in mistreating her spouse. The business with Ms LeNeve seemed relatively tame.

Had Crippen not fled with Ethel when they did, but stayed another week or so, Dew probably would have found Crippen at home to answer his additional questions, and left satisfied. Crippen could have left a week or month or year later, and Belle would have been suspected of being in the U.S. with a boyfriend. Nobody would have been looking in the basement for decades.

Instead he fled, and fleeing is always regarded as an unofficial confession. Dew immediately reexamined what he was told, saw the holes he overlooked, and began getting his act together. He did not like being fooled.

Interestingly, once Dew had Crippen and Le Neve in custody again, he showed more kindness and sympathy to the Doctor than before. He had even the score and no longer was angry.

Jeff

Comment

Hi Jeff,
      Yes he definately had some kind of 'closure' once Crippen was caught,and his 'drive' and determination would certainly have been enhanced by Crippen's story.
      I feel he maybe didn't want the police (or himself in this case) to be made a mockery of as in 1888,so maybe Crippen was unlucky to find a dogged determined copper investigating him.

Comment

Another good title for Dew's memoirs would have been: I missed the Ripper.

Amitiés,
        David

Comment

Working...
        X