Question about distance and time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about distance and time

I'm seeking opinions in this thread, more than hard facts. I haven't done any walking or jogging in years, so I'd appreciate some feedback from those who do. In the case of Emma Smith, we have Margaret Hames seeing her on the corner of Farrant and Burdett Road in the Limehouse district at approximately 12:15am. Smith is with a man, almost certainly a potential client. Smith claimed later that at approximately 1:30am she was attacked by the men near 10 Brick Lane, approximately two miles away by my (amateur) calculations. I'm also quite aware that neither Hames nor Smith would have had time pieces on them, rendering their estimates less than dependable, but that is why I'm asking this question.

We can assume that Smith didn't take off for home right after Hames past her, or else she would have caught up with her. Let's give her 10 minutes to service her last client and be on her way. That would leave us with Smith departing from Farrant Street at approx. 12:25am.

Here's my question: Is it reasonable to suppose that a 45 year old inebriated woman, walking in the dark, could have covered 2 miles in 65 minutes?

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

I don't think serious walkers or joggers are going to be of much help, Smith was neither.
    You need an opinion from a drinker but how many drinkers today walk further than their car?

Seriously, ...2 miles in 1 hour? is not impossible, thats about all that can be safely determined.

How drunk was she? how much did it slow her down?
    You need a drinker who walks two miles after a night on the ale..

Regards, Jon S.
    Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Hi Tom

Shtone cold shober I can do between 4 and 5 mph and I'm in my late 50s and (hic) I've a f'her, oh shih, heart condition...

Now elephants I shpose it depends on if I'm walkin shtrate or not...but if I'm "goodnight old ****" shober, I'd guess 2 miles in an hour is a piece of piss (shorry cake)....

Yours inebri...inebriate...pished

Dave

Comment

Hi Dave, better put a security code on your computer, it seems Jeff Leahy has hijacked it!

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Well, my mom (who's in her late 60s) and I made 1 mile in about half an hour walking from a beach to another town on a country road in Greece last fall, and neither of us was drunk. :-) I was walking slow enough to accommodate her, and in my perception she's a real slow walker.

PS:. Question is, who can put more booze away. Pirate Jack or Cap'tn Jack?
          Last edited by mariab; 04-14-2012, 02:33 AM.
          Best regards,
          Maria

Comment

Originally posted by Tom_Wescott View Post
            I'm seeking opinions in this thread, more than hard facts. I haven't done any walking or jogging in years, so I'd appreciate some feedback from those who do. In the case of Emma Smith, we have Margaret Hames seeing her on the corner of Farrant and Burdett Road in the Limehouse district at approximately 12:15am. Smith is with a man, almost certainly a potential client. Smith claimed later that at approximately 1:30am she was attacked by the men near 10 Brick Lane, approximately two miles away by my (amateur) calculations. I'm also quite aware that neither Hames nor Smith would have had time pieces on them, rendering their estimates less than dependable, but that is why I'm asking this question.

We can assume that Smith didn't take off for home right after Hames past her, or else she would have caught up with her. Let's give her 10 minutes to service her last client and be on her way. That would leave us with Smith departing from Farrant Street at approx. 12:25am.

Here's my question: Is it reasonable to suppose that a 45 year old inebriated woman, walking in the dark, could have covered 2 miles in 65 minutes?

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott
            Tom,
            I think London then was virtually a 24 hour city and that between Limehouse and Whitechapel there would have been trams along the main highway.I know trams were being put in in Commercial Street at that time.
            Norma

Comment

Hi Nats, that's a new one on me.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Hi All,

Dependent on their route, London trams started running between 7.00 and 8.00 am, and continued throughout the day until between 10.30 and 11.45pm.

The Commercial Street tramway was opened on 15th November 1888.

Regards,

Simon
                Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Comment

Thanks Simon---they definitely had cabs of course---and the omnibus-but maybe the omnibus stopped when the trams stopped-unless they had a night one like today's night buses!
                  Cheers
                  Norma

Comment

Working...
                  X