Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Hutchinson, George: Possible reason for Hutch coming forward - by Sam Flynn 1 hour and 13 minutes ago.
Hutchinson, George: Possible reason for Hutch coming forward - by Sam Flynn 1 hour and 23 minutes ago.
Hutchinson, George: Possible reason for Hutch coming forward - by Sam Flynn 1 hour and 25 minutes ago.
Hutchinson, George: Possible reason for Hutch coming forward - by Joshua Rogan 7 hours ago.
Hutchinson, George: Possible reason for Hutch coming forward - by Joshua Rogan 7 hours ago.
Hutchinson, George: The Enigma That Is Richard Blake - by RockySullivan 9 hours ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Hutchinson, George: Possible reason for Hutch coming forward - (52 posts)
Hutchinson, George: The Enigma That Is Richard Blake - (1 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Social Chat > Other Mysteries > A6 Murders

Old 10-28-2016, 06:00 AM
Assistant Commissioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
According to Bob's website, the A6 case is unresolved and a new edition of his book is being planned.
Bob on the web
Hmmm, that should be worth waiting for...assuming it happens, unlike the much-vaunted new appeal about 4 years ago.

Graham
Old 10-28-2016, 07:16 AM
Constable

Quote:
Originally Posted by louisa View Post
I have already stated that it has been a while since I read my books on this case. I am prepared to accept that sometimes I am in error.

However, Alfie, I would say that you are the one making a fool of yourself on this forum, by being unnecessarily rude to another poster.

This is supposed to be a friendly discussion but it seems to be dominated by some who do not remember what it is like to be novice
Try not posting until you know what you're talking about then.

And try to refrain from slagging off the totally innocent party in the Hanratty case - Valerie Storie.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 07:34 AM
Sergeant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfie View Post

And try to refrain from slagging off the totally innocent party in the Hanratty case - Valerie Storie.
I can now understand why this thread got removed for quite a while. Posters such as you give forums a bad name.

If the lady was a relative of yours then your comments would be understandable.

I gave my opinions, the same as you have given yours, and I will go on giving mine whether you like it or not.

"The totally innocent party"? She was an unreliable eye witness and a man was hanged on her say-so.

You may have been on this thread for a long time but you do not OWN it. There is room for other opinions besides your own.

If I am in error in the future then just say so, without being rude, but that may be an impossibility for somebody like you.

Last edited by louisa : 10-28-2016 at 07:38 AM.
Old 10-28-2016, 07:37 AM
Sergeant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post
Hmmm, that should be worth waiting for...assuming it happens, unlike the much-vaunted new appeal about 4 years ago.
Although that page on Woffinden's site mentions things happening this year, I wonder how recently he revised that particular paragraph. The page dedicated to Hanratty is more circumspect: “The Forensic Science Service successfully argued that the new tests conclusively proved Hanratty’s guilt, and an appeal in 2002 was thus rejected.”

This forum alone has discovered errors on virtually every page of his book and so a ‘new edition’ would be widely ridiculed unless it were substantially rewritten. If he had written a balanced book in the first place then I believe it would have been far more successful and still in print.

One of the biggest problems he would have is how to deal with Alphon. He was aware of Foot’s change of mind about Alphon when he published originally but decided to go ahead anyway with implicating Alphon. If he dropped Alphon, as the defence team did at the 2002 Appeal, it would leave a big sinkhole at the centre of his argument.
Old 10-28-2016, 08:25 AM
Assistant Commissioner

Nick,

my Hmmm, that should be worth waiting for.... was intended to be just a little sarcastic..... Who knows, if he's finally accepted that it wasn't Alphon or Hanratty, then maybe he's got some real sensational news for us....or not.

That's also quite an old photo of him, so perhaps the site hasn't been updated for some time. Speaking purely personally, that TV doc of his, The Mystery Of Deadman's Hill didn't do him many favours - I found it very one-sided, and at times, especially towards the end, it descended into mawkishness which I found somewhat unpalatable. It certainly isn't the worst TV doc about the A6, but it could have been much better.

Graham
Old 10-28-2016, 09:35 AM
Constable

Quote:
I can now understand why this thread got removed for quite a while. Posters such as you give forums a bad name.

If the lady was a relative of yours then your comments would be understandable.

I gave my opinions, the same as you have given yours, and I will go on giving mine whether you like it or not.

"The totally innocent party"? She was an unreliable eye witness and a man was hanged on her say-so.

You may have been on this thread for a long time but you do not OWN it. There is room for other opinions besides your own.

If I am in error in the future then just say so, without being rude, but that may be an impossibility for somebody like you.
Of course there's room for other opinions. Just try to make sure they're based on something other than your faulty memory.

And I wasn't being rude. I was calling you on your errors. I believe that is allowed, even if it's not agreeable to you.
Old 10-28-2016, 09:57 AM
Sergeant

Quote:

And try to refrain from slagging off the totally innocent party in the Hanratty case.

You really should do a bit of research instead of continuing to make a fool of yourself on this forum.
Quote:
And I wasn't being rude. I was calling you on your errors. I believe that is allowed, even if it's not agreeable to you.
Thank you so much "for calling me on my errors". How in the world could I have thought you were being rude?

Last edited by louisa : 10-28-2016 at 10:02 AM.
Old 10-28-2016, 10:20 AM
Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickB View Post

This forum alone has discovered errors on virtually every page of his book and so a ‘new edition’ would be widely ridiculed unless it were substantially rewritten. If he had written a balanced book in the first place then I believe it would have been far more successful and still in print.
No no no. I'm sorry but you can't be allowed to get away with this outlandish claim as some naive folk might believe you. I trust that you're prepared to back up this frankly ludicrous statement and itemise for us all just exactly what these hundreds of errors are in his impressive 500 page book. Just re-reading his book and I haven't come across a single error in his first 20 pages !

Copied from the back cover of his book..........

"Woffinden's painstaking, meticulous and detailed scrutiny of the material is little short of a tour de force" "
-Louis Blom Cooper, THE SPECTATOR

"A brave and passionate attempt to right a wrong...it is conviction writing of a high and sustained standard."
-John Stalker, SUNDAY TIMES

"Justice is an ideal which transcends the expedience of the State, or the sensitivities of Government officials, or private individuals. IT HAS TO BE PURSUED WHATEVER THE COST IN PEACE OF MIND TO THOSE CONCERNED." --'Justice of the Peace' [July 12th 1975]
Old 10-28-2016, 10:22 AM
Detective

Quote:
Thank you so much "for calling me on my errors". How in the world could I have thought you were being rude?
I don't suppose Alfie knows what it's all about, Louisa.

"Justice is an ideal which transcends the expedience of the State, or the sensitivities of Government officials, or private individuals. IT HAS TO BE PURSUED WHATEVER THE COST IN PEACE OF MIND TO THOSE CONCERNED." --'Justice of the Peace' [July 12th 1975]
Old 10-28-2016, 10:28 AM
Sergeant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherlock Houses View Post
I don't suppose Alfie knows what it's all about, Louisa.
A good play on words there, Sherlock.