No announcement yet.

Visiting London for the First Time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you all for your suggestions. I'm very excited about going to London and particularly excited about seeing Mitre Square for some reason (simply because it is still there I think).

One thing that I'm noticing is that the museums are free, which is very nice.

I also want to take advantage of going to a pub during an England World Cup game. That should be terrific (or terrible) depending on the outcome!

A final Ripper-related question: In terms of pubs, are there other establishments besides the Ten Bells that have some JTR history and are worth checking out?

Comment

I just read in another thread that Mitre Square is disappearing. And Buck's Row isn't accessible? Drat.

Comment

Originally posted by Barnaby View Post
        Thank you all for your suggestions. I'm very excited about going to London and particularly excited about seeing Mitre Square for some reason (simply because it is still there I think).

One thing that I'm noticing is that the museums are free, which is very nice.

I also want to take advantage of going to a pub during an England World Cup game. That should be terrific (or terrible) depending on the outcome!

A final Ripper-related question: In terms of pubs, are there other establishments besides the Ten Bells that have some JTR history and are worth checking out?
        The White hart by Gorgre yard

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Barnaby View Post
          I just read in another thread that Mitre Square is disappearing. And Buck's Row isn't accessible? Drat.
          Mitre Square is still there, looks very different, but you can still stand on murder site and make out the old entrances.

Bucks Row is open upto about 20-30 yards from murder site(about the distance lechmere claimed to first see Paul) from the Brady Street entrance. From the west you can get to Court street at present.

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Elamarna View Post
            The White hart by George yard (now Gunthorpe St)
            Yup. That's a must, best visited in the evening or night if you want to enjoy an atmospheric short walk up the passageway to where George Yard Buildings used to be.
            Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
              Yup. That's a must, best visited in the evening or night if you want to enjoy an atmospheric short walk up the passageway to where George Yard Buildings used to be.
              And for added realism you can pop into The White Hart and get completely wasted on gin (albeit very nice gin.)

Comment

The John Soane museum is a pleasant place in nice surroundings.

Comment

Baker Street..........obviously

Comment

Don't forget nearby Angel Alley. Last time I was there I saw a rat as big as a horse - standing upright on its hind legs, hands on hips. Honest!

Comment

Originally posted by MrBarnett View Post
                      Don't forget nearby Angel Alley. Last time I was there I saw a rat as big as a horse - standing upright on its hind legs, hands on hips. Honest!
                      A personal favourite is Pennington Street. Getting there from Spitalfields takes you through what used to be 'Tiger Bay', past the Ripper Museum in Cable Street and across the infamous Ratcliff Highway. Along the way you can take in Berner (now Henriques) Street and the Pinchin Street arch. Pennington Street was apparently the home of MJK for a while, and it was where the murderer(s) of the Marr family supposedly escaped after slaughtering Marr, his wife, baby and their servant lad in 1811 (the first of the Ratcliff Highway Murders).

Very little of the old fabric exists, but Breezer's Hill is still atmospheric and Graces Alley gives some idea of what NE Passage might have been like when Pearly Poll and co lived there.

Comment

Yes, Gary. I think the rats are an integral part of the Late Victorian experience - shades of The Talons of Weng-Chiang, for those who remember the classic Doctor Who story.
                        Kind regards, Sam Flynn

Comment

Originally posted by Robert View Post
                          The John Soane museum is a pleasant place in nice surroundings.
                          Dolly and Sissy are particularly fond of it.

Lord William Russell, less so.

Comment

Yes, Gary. I think the rats are an integral part of the Late Victorian experience - shades of The Talons of Weng-Chiang, for those who remember the classic Doctor Who story.
                            I'm too young to remember that, Gareth.

Comment

I'm too young to remember that, Gareth.
                              Thought so, Gary.
                              Kind regards, Sam Flynn

Comment

Rodents of Unusual Size? I don't believe they exist.

Comment

Working...
                                X