No announcement yet.

What was occuring in 1888?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The first photograph of the Horsehead Nebula in Orion was taken in 1888, by a Scottish astronomer named Williamina Fleming, a remarkable woman in many ways.

Click image for larger version

Name:	horsehead-williamina_fleming-1888.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	667442

In case you're wondering, the 1888 photo is on the left, with a modern colour image alongside for comparison.
    Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

The 1888 "photo" was actually taken by William Henry Pickering.
      My name is Dave. You cannot reach me through Debs email account

Comment

Originally posted by Graham View Post
        So what?

Graham
        It means alot to me.
        "Is all that we see or seem
        but a dream within a dream?"

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
        quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

In Braunau am Inn, Austria, Alois and Klara were getting jiggy with it and they conceived a child.

The Bishop of Rome was Pope Leo XIII who had been in post for 10 years, he would hold it another 15 years until his death at 93 in 1903.

The Blue Riband for the fastest ship was held by RMS Etruria, the record set was 19.56 knots on a 6-day, 2-hour run from Queenstown to Sandy Hook arriving on the 2nd June 1888.

Heavyweight Champ by popular acclaim was the American John L. Sullivan the "Boston Strong Boy". On the 5th of January Sullivan fought his one and only fight in the UK winning by TKO3 against William Samuells at the Philharmonic Hall, Cardiff.

John L. Sullivan
          My opinion is all I have to offer here,

Dave.

Smilies are canned laughter.

Comment

Originally posted by DJA View Post
            So it was. Turns out that Williamina Fleming was the one who discovered the Horsehead Nebula in 1888 by examining the photographic plate he'd made.

Thanks, Dave.
            Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Originally posted by DJA View Post
              Any relation to the great Ronnie?

Comment

On 10th March 1888 my great grandmother was appearing at the South London Palace with the Horne Brothers in their celebrated boxing act. She was 17, a young Marie Lloyd age 16 was on the same bill, serio and dancer. Also on the bill were De Wynne, Juggler, Filson and Errol America's refined sketch artists.

An article in The Era describes the act '' The Brothers Horne are now associated with Miss Lydia Tindall who can dance an Irish jig. The set -to between the two oldest of the brothers is provocative of both applause and hilarity, the boxing being smarter than ever, the representative of the shoe black also displaying low comedy humour that seemed readily to take with the ''gods''.
                The 'gods' were the upper circle seats in a theatre. A shoe black was a person who polished shoes in the street with their portable equipment.

The South London Music Hall was at 92 London Rd Lambeth. it was run by an enterprising woman Mrs J J Poole, who made it very successful. There were many women in theatre in the 19th century who became managers . Every music hall artiste had a circuit of certain halls they travelled to all over the country. Lydia made many appearances at the Palace. Marie had a different circuit as she became more famous.
                I just want to end with this fantastic description of the act ' Three Brothers Horne and Lydia Tindall in their Funny Fistic Features.'

miss marple

Comment

Fantastic, Miss M, that sounds like it was an entertaining show. Standing room only, I'll bet.

Comment

Yes I would love to go back in time to see some of the great music hall acts. The inhabitants of Spitalfields would go to the Royal Cambridge on the Commercial Rd, in 1888 it was run by E.V Page, but entertainment beyond the pockets of the ripper victims.

miss marple

Comment

Originally posted by miss marple View Post
                      Yes I would love to go back in time to see some of the great music hall acts. The inhabitants of Spitalfields would go to the Royal Cambridge on the Commercial Rd, in 1888 it was run by E.V Page, but entertainment beyond the pockets of the ripper victims.
                      If they were sensible with what little cash they had, perhaps....but didn't Alice McKenzie spend her rent money taking a blind boy to the Royal Cambridge?

Comment

Originally posted by Joshua Rogan View Post
                        If they were sensible with what little cash they had, perhaps....but didn't Alice McKenzie spend her rent money taking a blind boy to the Royal Cambridge?

Hi Joshua,

I believe Alice Kinsey (her real name) took George Dixon to a pub near the Royal Cambridge, which of course was in Commercial Street rather than the Commercial Road. At the time Alice was in a fairly stable relationship with John McCormack/Bryant who had a steady job, so she might have been able to afford an occasional visit to the Music Hall. Whether she would have chosen to spend her money that way rather than on booze and 'bacca though is another matter.

Gary

Comment

A few notches down on the social scale from Miss Marple's fascinating ancestors, my grandfather and his younger brother were enrolled in the George Yard Free Infants School in March, 1888. At the time the family were living in George Yard Buildings, where they apparently remained until at least December, 1890 when the boys' father died. By 1891 their widowed mother had moved them to nearby Angel Alley.

Comment

The Royal Cambridge was at 139 Commercial St.[ wrote rd by mistake] In the summer of 1888 audiences flocked to see Captain Thomas Baldwin, a dare devil American who made parachute ascents from a balloon. In august 88 he had been appearing at Alexandra Palace. An article in The Era from 1st September describes a comedy duo O'Conner and Brady appearing at the Cambridge, and being topical [music hall acts always kept up to date with the latest news] sent him up.

''we were now moved to mirth as we saw one of their hilarious pair apparently deprived of arms by his partner who then inflated him, until balloon like, he ascended to the flies to drop thence, holding an ordinary umbrella, in burlesque imitation of the intrepid aeronautist Professor Baldwin who's ascents and descents are now causing such a sensation at Alexandra Palace.''

miss marple

MrBarnett, my GGM was a working class woman, born in Seven Dials. The majority of music hall artists came from the working classes.
                            Whenever i try to upload an image i am always told my file is too big !
                            Last edited by miss marple; 06-21-2018, 12:40 AM. Reason: to add

Comment

Originally posted by MrBarnett View Post
                              Hi Joshua,

I believe Alice Kinsey (her real name) took George Dixon to a pub near the Royal Cambridge
                              And there was me thinking she selflessly treated young George to an evening at the theatre! Still, I suppose a pub is entertainment too, depending on how old he was. And if you can get someone else to pay for your drinks, as Alice seems to have done, that's money saved too.

Comment

Originally posted by MrBarnett View Post
                                A few notches down on the social scale from Miss Marple's fascinating ancestors, my grandfather and his younger brother were enrolled in the George Yard Free Infants School in March, 1888. At the time the family were living in George Yard Buildings, where they apparently remained until at least December, 1890 when the boys' father died. By 1891 their widowed mother had moved them to nearby Angel Alley.
                                Interesting! Was that the school adjacent to Toynbee Hall, or the one near the southern archway marked "ragged school"?

Comment

Working...
                                X