New TV documentary series on the Son of Sam killings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New TV documentary series on the Son of Sam killings

I've been watching a television documentary series on the .44 Killer, aka as the Son of Sam Killer, about the New York murders in the 1970s by David Berkowitz.

Series title is Son of Sam: The Hunt for a Killer, it airs here on the cable channel Investigation Discovery, but could turn up on the regular Discovery channel later, I suppose. It is well-done, and interesting, with many cops, detectives, witnesses, and family members of victims offering their memories and insights.

Episode 2, "The Killer Speaks" includes an interview with the still-imprisoned Berkowitz, who claims he was under the control of a demon when he killed and wounded those people. He was eager to talk about anything but the murders.
    I was struck by what a harmless man he seems now.

Good series so far. Recommended if you have an interest in these serial murders.
    Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
    ---------------
    Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
    ---------------

Originally posted by Pcdunn View Post
    https://www.investigationdiscovery.c...-for-a-killer/

I've been watching a television documentary series on the .44 Killer, aka as the Son of Sam Killer, about the New York murders in the 1970s by David Berkowitz.

Series title is Son of Sam: The Hunt for a Killer, it airs here on the cable channel Investigation Discovery, but could turn up on the regular Discovery channel later, I suppose. It is well-done, and interesting, with many cops, detectives, witnesses, and family members of victims offering their memories and insights.

Episode 2, "The Killer Speaks" includes an interview with the still-imprisoned Berkowitz, who claims he was under the control of a demon when he killed and wounded those people. He was eager to talk about anything but the murders.
    I was struck by what a harmless man he seems now.

Good series so far. Recommended if you have an interest in these serial murders.
    HI PC

Son of Sam was under the spell of a demon all right-jealousy. He is one of the rarest of serial killers-the thrill killer.. sub type-Lovers lane killer.
    Him, Zodiac and the monster of Florence all fall within this category IMHO.
    Losers who hate the world, and are sexually and romantically frustrated which is why the majority of there victims are lovers in the act.
    "Is all that we see or seem
    but a dream within a dream?"

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
    quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

Thanks for the info, Abby.

Would it surprise you to learn that Berkowitz is supposedly a "born-again" Christian now? He is happiest doing his work in the library or sitting in the chapel.

Apparently there was nothing unusual about Berkowitz until he did his military service. People who knew him said he came back to civilian life as a "different person" than he had been. Do you think some men get to like the power killing gives them, and can't stop afterwards?
      Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
      ---------------
      Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
      ---------------

Comment

Cheers for that Pat. I'll give it a go.

Comment

Apparently there was nothing unusual about Berkowitz until he did his military service. People who knew him said he came back to civilian life as a "different person" than he had been. Do you think some men get to like the power killing gives them, and can't stop afterwards?
          He was never in combat, though. He was a garrison soldier in South Korea.

FWIW, I was 16 that summer, and my friends and I were irrationally terrified by the .44 calibre killings. We were in rural Indiana, but something about this caught everyone's attention, and we honestly worried that it might, somehow, happen here too.
          - Ginger

Comment

I was in San Francisco at the time and I was unreasonably worried about copycat killings.
            I don't know why, it's not like I was parked in secluded areas with girls at the age of thirteen.

Comment

Thanks for the info, Abby.

Would it surprise you to learn that Berkowitz is supposedly a "born-again" Christian now? He is happiest doing his work in the library or sitting in the chapel.

Maybe, but at the very least it gives them experience with weapons and how to use them.

As for berkawitz being a born again Christian, I've heard that before but it doesn't impress me, as he has told so many lies and done so much evil, only god knows if he's truly repented . I don't nor do I care. He can rot in hell for all I care. And if there was still a death penalty that's where he'd be now.
              I know not very Christian, but then again I'm just a hopeless sinner and fall far short of the glory of god.
              "Is all that we see or seem
              but a dream within a dream?"

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
              quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

Working...
              X