No announcement yet.

Great Disappearances

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yeah probably under 150 miles depending on just where you are gong two and from, but pretty wild conditions at times, you should cross it on the water wow, some of the worst conditions I've ever sailed.
    G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

• Another weird aviation-related disappearance was over Lake Superior in 1953 when a USAAF Scorpion aircraft was scrambled to intercept an un-recognised aircraft coming in across the Lake from Canada. The USAAF claimed that the unknown aircraft was an RCAF C-47 (Dakota) but the RCAF denied that such an aircraft was airborne anywhere near Lake Superior on that day. For reasons not known to me, this is known as the Kinross Incident, and apparently much loved by UFOlogists.

Graham
      We are suffering from a plethora of surmise, conjecture and hypothesis. - Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure Of Silver Blaze

Comment

• Amy Lynn Bradley's disappearance is quite a high profile missing persons case. The consensus seems to be that she was kidnapped from the ship and sold into human trafficking, but I've never bought into this theory. A 20-something year old American woman abducted from a cruise-ship who according to various eyewitnesses has been flaunted about by her captors several times since. 'Sex trafficking' just seems to be the go-to explanation every time a young woman goes missing. I think she either had an accident and fell overboard or someone on the ship attacked her and tossed her over the side when he was done.

That said, the picture of the prostitute that was uncovered on an adult services site does bear a strong resemblance to her - http://i.imgur.com/p1LHDVn.jpg

Comment

• Originally posted by Graham View Post
          Another weird aviation-related disappearance was over Lake Superior in 1953 when a USAAF Scorpion aircraft was scrambled to intercept an un-recognised aircraft coming in across the Lake from Canada. The USAAF claimed that the unknown aircraft was an RCAF C-47 (Dakota) but the RCAF denied that such an aircraft was airborne anywhere near Lake Superior on that day. For reasons not known to me, this is known as the Kinross Incident, and apparently much loved by UFOlogists.
          "Kinross" comes from the fact that the F-89C involved was based at Kinross AFB in Michigan. It's also called the "Moncla case", after the name of the pilot, Felix Moncla.
          - Ginger

Comment

• Don't know if people have been keeping up, but it looks like the Lyon sisters case has been solved. Lloyd Welch has been indicted in the deaths of the two girls who disappeared 40 years ago. Their remains have yet to be discovered.

This gives hope that other cold cases from this time can still be solved.

Comment

• Originally posted by Harry D View Post
              Don't know if people have been keeping up, but it looks like the Lyon sisters case has been solved. Lloyd Welch has been indicted in the deaths of the two girls who disappeared 40 years ago. Their remains have yet to be discovered.

This gives hope that other cold cases from this time can still be solved.
              There have been a few lately.

Here in Aus we've recently had a case solved fom the 70s-80's (well it certainly looks that way) involving the bombing of the Family Court and 4 murders. They always had a prime suspect and a tiny drop of degraded blood (that in reality could it seems only have been left by the killer) but not enoug to get DNA from, as technology progressed they eventually got the DNA and made an arrest.
              G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Don't know if people have been keeping up, but it looks like the Lyon sisters case has been solved. Lloyd Welch has been indicted in the deaths of the two girls who disappeared 40 years ago. Their remains have yet to be discovered.
                I've followed this case a little but I'm not sure what proof they have. If they find them on this guy's property then that will pretty much clinch it.

They couldn't get a guilty on the Etan Patz case either, although it was a hung jury and they are trying again.
                This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

Comment

• To the lists I posted on the first 2 or 3 pages, I will add some regional ones:

Evelyn Hartley-1953
                  Amelia Zelko-1957
                  Sal Pullia-1981
                  Veronica Blumhorst-1990
                  This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

Comment

• Originally posted by GUT View Post
                    Or David Lang who was said to have disappeared before the very eyes of his wife, children and his friend the Judge, in USA in 1800's, or was this just a cover-up by the judge and the family.
                    I found this so interesting I looked it up. I found this. I thought you might find it interesting, also but, who knows?

David Lang was said to be a farmer who lived near Gallatin, Tennessee. On September 23, 1880 he supposedly vanished into thin air while walking through a field near his home. His wife, children, and two men who were passing by in a buggy all witnessed his disappearance. At least, this is what a popular tale that has circulated since the 1950s claims.

Comment

• My uncle bought me Mr Begg's book, "Into Thin Air" for my 12th birthday. I was thrilled and read it until it literally fell apart.

Now I am thinking I will get another copy as soon as possible, I wonder if I really remember it as well I suspect i do :-)

To the list I would like to add two British famous mystery disappearances:
                      Lord Lucan - 1974
                      Shergar - 1983

Comment

• Originally posted by Beowulf View Post
                        I found this so interesting I looked it up. I found this. I thought you might find it interesting, also but, who knows?

http://hoaxes.org/archive/permalink/...of_david_lang/
                        Have read that the question of course, as raised in the article, is which was based on which.
                        G U T

Comment

• Jennifer Kesse's disappearance is still pretty freaky. Her possible abductor was caught on surveillance parking her car outside a nearby apartment complex. However, the CCTV was outdated and only took a snapshot every three seconds. In each of the three snapshots the person is obscured by a fencepost. It's almost as if they were destined to get away with it.

Comment

Jason Jolkowski's disappearance is mindblowing. Jason was a 19 year old kid who vanished into thin air in June 13, 2001. He was called into work early but because his car was being repaired he arranged for a colleague to pick him up at a nearby school. This was about eight blocks away from Jason's home. Jason never made it to the school and has never been seen since.

The last sighting of Jason was from his younger brother who saw Jason carrying the trash cans in at 10.45 am. This sighting was also confirmed by one of the neighbours. There are no other sightings of Jason past this and there are no other clues. At some point during the short walk to the meeting point he vanished. It's a complete dead-end.
                            This is still my pet missing persons case and one that I can't get my head around. A young man takes a short walk on a summer morning through a residential neighbourhood and vanishes into thin air. No clues, no leads, nothing.

I simply can't find an angle for this case. Jason was apparently an introverted but good-natured kid, he had no trouble with the law or any drug problems etc. It's possible he was targeted by some kind of sexual predator but he doesn't fit the usual victim profile. He was 19 years old and over six foot tall. He doesn't really have the usual risk factors of a missing person. I did suspect his workplace, as they were the only ones privy to his change of schedule that morning but what reason would a pizzeria have for conspiring to murder one of their porters? Unless he fell through some kind of manhole, I got nothing!

Comment

• The Beaumont children were mentioned earlier the answer may be soon.
                              G U T

Comment

• Originally posted by GUT View Post
                                The Beaumont children were mentioned earlier the answer may be soon.
                                This case fascinates me, too. The last thing I read was Michael Madigan's excellent book. Do you know if there's been any recent progress?

Comment

Working...
                                X