Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why is There No Definitive Book on the Zodiac Case?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why is There No Definitive Book on the Zodiac Case?

I have always been surprised and frustrated that there is no definitive, or even competent, book dealing with the Zodiac case.

I think that most people would agree that the case is probably the most famous unsolved crime in American history (the JFK assassination excepted), so why is there no book dealing with the case that matches up to those of Paul Begg and
    Philip Sugden, not forgetting the very many excellent books by other authors relating to the case.

The Zodiac case has spawned two hugely unreliable books by Robert Graysmith
    and a few others approaching the case from the point of view of, "my dad did it", "my neighbour did it", "a rogue cop did it".

In a case where many of those directly involved in the zodiac case are still alive, it is a mystery why a writer of proven ability, relying on contemporary documents and statements has never tackled the case.

That's it off my chest, I'm feeling much better now.

Hie thee to the scriptorium!
    - Ginger

Comment

Found this thread on another forum discussing the same question, Barnflatwyngarde. Might be of some use to you?

Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
      ---------------
      Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
      ---------------

Comment

By the way, a Google search for "Zodiac Killer" brings up hits about former Presidential candidate Ted Cruz possibly being the ZK! All sorts of bizarre declarations can be found in Internetland...
        ---------------
        Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
        ---------------

Comment

Originally posted by Pcdunn View Post
          Found this thread on another forum discussing the same question, Barnflatwyngarde. Might be of some use to you?

https://www.reddit.com/r/serialkille...zodiac_killer/
          Thank for this Pcdunn.

It just amazes me that no author sees the possibilities in writing a well researched factual account of this incredible case.

The Graysmith book is still probably the best of the bunch, but he does play fast and loose with some elements of the case.

Comment

I may have to read Graysmith's books. I saw the 2007 movie called "Zodiac" which was based on them. It seemed very well done, as historical serial killer movies go.

---------------
            ---------------

Comment

I consider Graysmith's book decent enough for a start off. Zodiac does have two good movies (the 2007 film and the 2005 Alexander Bulkley release) based on the crimes. I'm not sure any other case can say that.
              This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

Comment

Originally posted by sdreid View Post
                I consider Graysmith's book decent enough for a start off. Zodiac does have two good movies (the 2007 film and the 2005 Alexander Bulkley release) based on the crimes. I'm not sure any other case can say that.
                Hi sdreid.

As a rough overview of the case, the first Graysmith book "Zodiac" is ok, but it does contain some worrying errors, and there is evidence that Graysmith did in fact play fast and loose with some elements of the case.

I attach a link which goes into greater detail about these errors and omissions.

Comment

Graysmith maintained that he knew who "Zodiac" was in his first book (I have not read the second) on the Zodiac killings.. I'm not sure I buy all of what he's selling, but as barnflat states above, Graysmith is a good starting point. Will Zodiac be the 1960s version of Jack the Ripper? Only time will tell.
                  Neil "Those who forget History are doomed to repeat it." - Santayana

Comment

I’ve just read Graysmith’s Zodiac Unmasked after becoming interested watching the first 3 episodes of The History Channels ‘Case Closed.’

I’m a complete Zodiac novice but I have to say there appears to be a staggering amount of ‘pointers’ to Arthur Leigh Allen? I’ve just read that many consider Graysmith unreliable. Has Allen now been dismissed/disproven as a suspect? Has this History Channel series uncovered the killer?

Anybody know?

Comment

Hi, Herlock,

I don't know a great deal about the ZK case, but have been following the History Channel documentary series. It is very interesting, and they do claim their code-breaking computer decoded the name of the serial killer, per last week's episode. (Naturally, they saved the reveal for another show, which I haven't seen yet, sigh...)
                      ---------------
                      ---------------

Comment

Originally posted by Pcdunn View Post
                        Hi, Herlock,

I don't know a great deal about the ZK case, but have been following the History Channel documentary series. It is very interesting, and they do claim their code-breaking computer decoded the name of the serial killer, per last week's episode. (Naturally, they saved the reveal for another show, which I haven't seen yet, sigh...)
                        Hi Pat,

I think that the name they come up with is Lawrence Kane and a bit of googling has confirmed that the name ‘Kane’ was in the cypher.

I have a look on here tomorrow and see what the experts say.

Comment

Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post
                          I’ve just read Graysmith’s Zodiac Unmasked after becoming interested watching the first 3 episodes of The History Channels ‘Case Closed.’

I’m a complete Zodiac novice but I have to say there appears to be a staggering amount of ‘pointers’ to Arthur Leigh Allen? I’ve just read that many consider Graysmith unreliable. Has Allen now been dismissed/disproven as a suspect? Has this History Channel series uncovered the killer?

Anybody know?
                          Allen wasn't a match for the DNA, handwriting, or the finger/palm prints.

Comment

Originally posted by barnflatwyngarde View Post
                            I have always been surprised and frustrated that there is no definitive, or even competent, book dealing with the Zodiac case.
                            Come to think of it there is no definitive book on the Ripper murders and a number of books seem to be lacking in competence. Why is this?

Comment

Originally posted by John Wheat View Post
                              Come to think of it there is no definitive book on the Ripper murders
                              If folks were asked to nominate a definitive Ripper book, I bet most would unhesitatingly say "Sugden"
                              Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Working...
                              X