Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Seaside Home

Hi All,

The Police Seaside Home in Brighton/Hove opened in March 1890.

Miss Catherine Gurney of the World's Woman's Christian Temperance Union [minutes of the Second WCTU Biennial Convention, Chicago 1893] tells us that it was a rented house with accommodation for sixteen; also that the house was "small and ill-adapted".

It has been said that this was at 51 Clarendon Villas, Hove, but in 1890 and 1891 this was the address of the "Southern Counties Police Orphanage" [Mrs Fanny Marsh, Matron; May Griffin, Sec.].

The memorial stone for a new Police Seaside Home was laid by H.R.H. Princess Christian on 29th October 1892, and on 21st July 1893 the home was officially opened by the Countess of Chichester. £8000 had been raised in voluntary contributions, and the freehold land was the "gift of one generous lady".

The building, at 11 Portland Road, Hove, had accommodation for fifty, and was described in the 1899 Kelly Directory as "a building of glazed red brick."

At some point after the opening of the home the "Southern Counties Police Orphanage" at 51 Clarendon Villas closed or moved. By 1899 it was a private address; also, Miss May Griffin was now "hon. sec. & lady superintendent" at 11 Portland Road.

THE TIMES, 16th November 1891—

Sir Edward Bradford has communicated to the Metropolitan Police Force a letter from Mr. James Monro, ex-Commissioner of the Force (who has just left England, with his daughter, for India), in reply to the communication sent of the 17th inst. by members of the committee of the Monro Testimonial Fund. In referring in eulogistic terms to the members of the Force, Mr. Monro gratefully acknowledges the receipt of £520 which has been raised by members of the force, 'as a token of their kindly feelings towards me as their late chief,' and announces that the money has been placed in the hands of the trustees of the Police Convalescent Home Fund for the establishment and maintenance of a bed at the Police Seaside Home, West Brighton, for the exclusive benefit of members of the Metropolitan Police."

A letter in THE TIMES, 17th June 1893, from Catherine Gurney, further stated—

"When opened the home will be to a great extent still dependent on voluntary contributions, there being no endowment except the one Monro Memorial Bed".

Regards,

Simon
    Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Hi All,

Police Seaside Home, 11 Portland Road, Hove, Sussex—post 1893.

Click image for larger version

Name:	HOVE3.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	24.6 KB
ID:	654528

Regards,

Simon

Comment

Hi All,

More on The Seaside Home.

THE TIMES, 12th June 1891—

Click image for larger version

Name:	12 JUNE 1891.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	654529

Regards,

Simon

Comment

Hi Simon
        Many thanks for the interesting info in this thread.
        The letter below from Catherine Gurney in Sept 1891 may be of use
        Chris

Daily News
        8 September 1891

POLICE CONVALESCENT HOME

Sir,
        It often astonishes one that among the numbers who receive aid and attention from our police constables, comparatively few think of their needs in time of sickness, or stop to consider whether their needs are in any way being met. It is a fact stated by Sir Edward Bradford in his report that in the Metropolitan Force alone 500 men are daily on the sick list, some from pulmonary complaints arising from exposure to all weathers, others from accidents occurring in the performance of duty, and very many lately from the prevailing epidemic. To these change of air for a short period in comfortable surroundings is essential to complete restoration to health and to speedy resuming of duty. This they find at the Police Seaside Home, West Brighton, which has since its opening in March, 1890, received nearly 300 policemen of all ranks at the charge of 8s a week.
        The Home is pleasantly situated near the sea. It is thoroughly approved by the police authorities, and, by its homelike arrangements, has become popular with the men. The constant applications for admittance testify to its appreciation; but many have, unfortunately, been refused or delayed this summer from lack of accommodation, and it has become absolutely necessary to purchase larger premises at once. The cost of these, with alterations, furniture, &c., will be rather over £3,000, £1,200 of which has already been given, and £1,000 offered as a loan. Surely there are many among your readers who have lately derived benefit from change of air to mountains or the seaside who would be glad to afford the same opportunity to those who in their absence have protected their homes. Many a man who has saved life from fire or water, or suffered injury through stopping a runaway horse, or through some savage assault while shielding the weak and helpless, goes home or to the hospital, to lie on a bed of pain for many a week, and rise again a wreck of his former self, sometimes utterly uncared for by those whose lives and property he has protected.
        The maintenance of the Police Seaside Home beyond the payment for mere board is entirely dependent upon voluntary contributions, therefore on every account funds are much needed. Thomas Cave, Esq., J.P., 4 Eastern Terrace, Brighton, is Hon. Treasurer. Any sums, large or small, for the enlargement or general maintenance will be most gladly received and duly acknowledged by the Hon. Secretary, Miss Griffin, Police Seaside Home; or by me at the address given below. The patroness of the Home, the Countess of Chichester, Stanmer, near Lewes, has also very kindly consented to receive subscriptions.
        I beg to remain, Sir, yours faithfully,
        CATHERINE GURNEY.
        Police Institute, 1a Adelphi Terrace, Strand, London W.C.

Comment

This from the Daily News 29 July 1893
          Attached Files

Comment

Seaside Home

I think that I have mentioned it before but, out of interest, when I joined the Police force in 1969 a monthly deduction was made from my salary to the Gurney fund for the Police Convalescent Seaside Home at Hove.
            SPE

Treat me gently I'm a newbie.

Comment

Chris
              I believe the 'Lombardi of Brighton' photographic archives still exist. It might prove worth while to look through them?

Comment

Tidy Thinking Cap'n Jack!

A couple of years ago, I trudged the pleasant streets of West Brighton
                and discovered both buildings are still standing!
                I took lots of photos, some of which I passed on to, I think, Adam Woods
                of Ripperologist fame.(sadly I think, he has since left that connection).
                Anyway, I'll see if I can wrestle with the technology and put a couple of images on this thread.
                Incidentally, the Portland Road building - as you see in the vintage photos- is a marvellous gothic building ( I think its now a ' civilian ' convalescent home).
                If the tenous connection with police line-ups and the Police Seaside Home is ever proven, the Portland road building will make a suitably evocative backdrop for tabloid reporters! JOHN RUFFELS.

Comment

Johnr,

Adam Woods of Ripperologist fame.(sadly I think, he has since left that connection).

Happily, I can tell you that you are quite wrong. Adam is alive, well, and currently serves as our very energetic Executive Editor, helping keep Ripperologist far and away the best magazine in the field.

Don.
                  "To expose [the Senator] is rather like performing acts of charity among the deserving poor; it needs to be done and it makes one feel good, but it does nothing to end the problem."

Comment

Or at least far and away the best e-zine in the field, anyway...

Dan Norder
                    Ripper Notes: The International Journal for Ripper Studies
                    Web site: www.RipperNotes.com - Email: dannorder@gmail.com

Comment

Hi Dan,

Speaking of magazines, when can we all anticipate the arrival of the next Ripper Notes?

Although I don't want to derail this thread...so maybe I should just start a thread of its own...countdown to Ripper Notes...

Let all Oz be agreed;
                      I need a better class of flying monkeys.

Comment

Any body looked into the possibility that "the seaside home" might refer to Allhallows kent?

Comment

I stumbled across some Edwardian postcards of the Seaside Home on ebay:

There are views of the dining room and a dormitory, as well as the exterior.

Comment

Hi Chris,

Super-Duper!

Great find.

Regards,

Simon

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
                              I stumbled across some Edwardian postcards of the Seaside Home on ebay:
                              And here's another one. Fancy that!

Comment

Working...
                              X