Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Was it well-known that Eddowes kidney was removed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Was it well-known that Eddowes kidney was removed?

Was it reported in the early articles covering the Eddowes murder that she was missing a kidney?

I'm just thinking in terms of the Lusk letter being a forgery. If it was well-known that the body was missing a kidney, then the fact that the forger chose the include a kidney for shock value (and verisimilitude) isn't so surprising. However, if it wasn't well-known, then it was either a very lucky guess, or that's a point in favor of authenticity. Or maybe it really was a journalist, or someone like that, someone in position to know a little more than the typical man on the street.

BTW, I suppose someone has already proposed Lusk himself as the forger of the Lusk letter-- you know, to make himself and his vigilance committee more important, and part of the investigation. Not saying I believe it-- it's probably better for my novel than my real-life theory-- but it's something at least worth considering, just for the sake of covering all the bases.

Yes Riv, the kidney was reported e.g. Times October 5th.

Comment

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by RivkahChaya View Post
        BTW, I suppose someone has already proposed Lusk himself as the forger of the Lusk letter-- you know, to make himself and his vigilance committee more important, and part of the investigation. Not saying I believe it-- it's probably better for my novel than my real-life theory-- but it's something at least worth considering, just for the sake of covering all the bases.
        It an interesting idea. I remember John Douglas' The Cases That Haunt Us mentioning that Lusk had to be forced to take the letter to the police since he regarded it as a hoax. Think that's covered in The Complete History of Jack the Ripper also. Argues against Lusk being in on it being a hoax... Though if I'd written a hoax letter I'd probably wait until someone forced me to go to the cops.
        I’m often irrelevant. It confuses people.

Comment

A shady looking guy with an Irish accent asked for Lusk's address the day before the kidney arrived. The letter was said to have an Irish dialect. It doesn't take a lot to put two and two together.

Comment

Working...
          X