Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First mention of "Jack the Ripper"

Hi all,
    I was just looking at the timeline and noticed something.
    It says:

September 27, 1888 --

-- The 'Dear Boss' letter is received at the Central News Agency, the first to use the name 'Jack the Ripper.'

September 30, 1888 -- Elizabeth Stride and Catherine Eddowes killed at 1:00 and 1:45 am, respectively.

-- Diary entry in the Swedish Church Parish Register records the death of Stride, possibly "murdered by Jack the Ripper?" If indeed written on the 30th September, this is the earliest known use of the name "Jack the Ripper."

October 1, 1888
    -- The morning issue of the Daily News first prints the text of the Dear Boss letter.

So if the Dear Boss letter with the first known Jack the Ripper reference wasn't printed until 1st October the first how could the it have been used the night before in the parish register?

Am I missing something?
    Cheers

Hi Ian.

It was not a Diary as such, it was a register, and was periodically updated as details became known.
    For instance Liz Gustafdotter was registered in the book in 1866, then a couple of years later an undated note was added that she had married Thomas Stride.

The register was likely updated once the pen-name of her killer (Jack the Ripper) became public knowledge.
    Is that note dated or undated?
    Regards, Jon S.

Comment

The JtR part could have been added at any time, it wasn't necessarily included with the original entry.
      G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

I seem to recall reading somewhere that the "victim of Jack the Ripper" was either in another hand or another pen.

I may be miss remembering, but don't think so.
        G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Ok thanks for the replies everyone.

Comment

Working...
          X