Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did a police officer see a ripper suspect, right after the 2nd of the double murders?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Steve S View Post
    If one believes the White story at all....Only Dutfield's Yard has the physical properties described AND a reason for Special Branch to be around........
    It could have well been Dutfield’s Yard. This would not lesson the likelihood that White spoke with Francis Thompson. I accept that White may have been in Berner Street. It is supported by the fact that on October 30th 1888, this senior police officer, under direct orders from Sir Robert Anderson, was there was making enquirers door to door.

White may have encountered, moments after, and very near, a Ripper murder, a suspect that matches in appearance and manner, Francis Thompson. This match isn’t changed by which of the cluster of 5 murders White was discussing. This homeless East End poet, who walked the streets at night, is the same man who happens to be Casebook’s 12th most popular suspect. Regardless of whether Thompson, who could have easily have been walking the streets on each occasion, was the Ripper or not, this matching description suggests, at the very least, that White’s encounter was with an identifiable person and someone who was known to be in the East End. This alone strengthens the credibility of White’s report.

Respectfully,
    Author of

"Jack the Ripper, The Works of Francis Thompson"

http://www.francisjthompson.com/

Comment

Hi,

I dont think the description points to a homeless man who has been walking the streets. It is so vague that it could be applied to a host of people. There is nothing there that makes me think of Thompson.

Best wishes.

Comment

Originally posted by Hatchett View Post
        Hi,

I dont think the description points to a homeless man who has been walking the streets. It is so vague that it could be applied to a host of people. There is nothing there that makes me think of Thompson.

Best wishes.
        You every right to have this opinion.

Respectfully,
        Author of

Comment

White states (if it was White who wrote the article) '...altogether, the man was foreign.' Knowing what 'foreign' meant in the East End in those days, it's likely that White was hinting that the man he saw was Jewish.

Comment

Hi,

It is a long time since I have read that, many years in fact, and I did find it interesting. Thanks for posting it.

Best wishes.

Comment

Originally posted by Rosella View Post
              White states (if it was White who wrote the article) '...altogether, the man was foreign.' Knowing what 'foreign' meant in the East End in those days, it's likely that White was hinting that the man he saw was Jewish.
              The area that White was in was the Jewish immigrant heartland of the East End. Many inhabitants there would have been foreign or resembled foreigners. What would have been foreign here would have been to have met a typical Englishman. When White described the man's voice, he did not say there was any accent, foreign, Jewish or otherwise. White's description of the voice seems to show it resembled the modulated tones of a cultured Englishman rather than an immigrant. Also if the man was indeed Jewish, why didn't White say he made a house-to-house search in the immediate area? Unless he knew that the man was 'foreign' to these parts, meaning having originated from outside the East End instead in racial/cultural sense to the general English population. This is concept is reinforced by White's who said, 'a voice altogether out of keeping with the squalid surroundings of the East End.'

Respectfully,
              Last edited by Richard Patterson; 12-15-2014, 06:45 PM.
              Author of

Comment

Originally posted by Rosella View Post
                Rosella: White did not write the article, unless he dictated it from the grave. The article attributes the entire story to an unidentified "Scotland Yard Man."

John
                "We reach. We grasp. And what is left at the end? A shadow."
                Sherlock Holmes, The Retired Colourman

Comment

EAST LONDON ADVERTISER
                  27 September 1919
                  DEATH OF FAMOUS EAST-END DETECTIVE.
                  OFFICER WHO JUST MISSED CATCHING THE MYSTERIOUS “JACK THE RIPPER.”

One of the smartest detectives the Metropolitan Police Force ever knew has passed away in exDetective-Inspector White who retired from the C.I.D. in 1900 after completing 27 years' service. After a few years he was promoted to a sergeant and was transferred from Kennington to Leman Street, Whitechapel.
                  There he made several important captures, among them being the arrest of the dynamitards, Cunningham and Burton, at the Tower of London at the time of the explosion there, for which service he was rewarded and commended by the Home Office.
                  In 1879 he discovered a Fenian arsenal in the New Cut, Lambeth, and captured the proprietor, who was sentenced to a long term of penal servitude.
                  His experience of murders, was perhaps unique. He was engaged on the whole of the Jack the Ripper crimes which caused such a grim sensation among East Enders. One night he was on what appeared to be a certain clue to the mysterious murderer of women in the Whitechapel region. He kept watch in an East End street, but the murderer's movements were not in accordance with anticipation. For about ten minutes only he left the street, and to his amazement he found on his return that a woman had been stabbed. He saw no man anywhere, and the mystery became even more baffling. As is well known, Jack the Ripper was never discovered.
                  Mr. White was also associated with the notorious case of Harry Alt, who murdered a German baker in Turner Street; Sullivan the St. George in the East murderer; Cronin the Limehouse assassin; Roman, who committed murder in Angel Court, Whitechapel; Seaman, who killed an aged Jew and his housekeeper in Turner Street; Karacrewski, the pole, who shot a man and woman dead in Brick Lane; and Kate Marshall, who killed her sister in Dorset Street, in the very house where the last Ripper murder was committed.
                  It is interesting to note that a son of his is a detective at the G. P. O. The funeral took place on Tuesday.

I agree with Steve and think it was Dutfields Yard and he was watching a suspect that lived near.
                  He also questioned Packer.

Pat

Comment

I just read that old thread about the White "sighting" from 2009, and I must say the finest part was the suggestion, offered half-jokingly, that White may have been the Pipeman and was describing an encounter with Israel Schwartz.

Not that I believe in Pipemen, but that brought a smile to my face.

Comment

I think the story is a confusion of undocumented City Police testimony from PC James Harvey, who likely saw a man emerge from either St. James Place or, walking toward him east along Little Duke Street from Mitre Square.

Comment

Yes, sorry John Watson, I knew White had died some months before the article appeared in the People's Journal in 1919. What I meant was if he had written the notes or sketch on which the article was based. That's a very big IF as far as I'm concerned, as I believe the article in the Journal was probably an imaginative piece by a journalist.

Comment

The murder of Kate Eddowes took place when almost every person in the immediate area was connected with the police...Pearce, Blenkinship, Watkins, Harvey, Marriott, Halse and Long.

I suspect she may have been used as bait, which would support the idea that some police were stationed to catch, or catch a glimpse of, any lone man leaving that area.

Cheers
                          Michael Richards

Comment

Blenkingsopp wasn't connected to the police.

The idea of the use of Eddowes as bait is ridiculous, and highly illegal.

Monty
                            Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

Michael, Pearce went to bed! Watkins and Harvey were in the immediate area - their beats had to be patrolled. And Long wasn't in the immediate area.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert View Post
                                And Long wasn't in the immediate area.
                                Nor was he under the control of the City of London Police.
                                I won't always agree but I'll try not to be disagreeable.

Comment

Working...
                                X