Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kon Tiki

Hello all,

If and when the film gets aired in a cinema near you.. go to see the film "Kon Tiki".
    I could write reams about it, but suffice to say that the experience is quite amazing. It is going to be nominated for sure at Cannes, and possibly Hollywood. People are making very large noises about it.

I was invited to the Premiere last week, (AND the party afterwards...).. and it really was quite stunning. (NO, no cameras went off when I strolled down the red carpet..thank heaven!) The film was made on a budget of just £10 million, which is nothing by today's standards, but the quality and level of this production is outstanding.

As said, the English version is going out all over the world. It is quite a film. Enjoy!

best wishes

Phil
    Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Justice for the 96 = achieved
    Accountability? ....

Hello all,

Here's a taste..

best wishes

Phil
    Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Accountability? ....

Comment

Phil,

Is it going to be about Heyerdahl's voyage and the subsequent discrediting of the notion that Peruvians settled Easter Island?

Mike
      huh?

Comment

Hello Mike,

No. The voyage is the backdrop.
        Its about Heyerdahl. The psychology behind the man.
        Its about the crew. Its quite different.

I can only recommend it thoroughly. Its not a documentary, but a drama.
        There is something special about this film.
        The English version is being distributed worldwide.

Best wishes

Phil
        Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Accountability? ....

Comment

I recall as a child living in Norway that we went to see an exhibition about this in Oslo ( i think it was Oslo ).....that and the Fram ( Admundsens ship )......then up Holmekollen !! great memories !!

Comment

Surbiton and Hounslow

Hello Phil, Michael. I thought this version concerned Surbiton and Hounslow? (heh-heh)

Cheers.
            LC

Comment

Originally posted by Jason View Post
              I recall as a child living in Norway that we went to see an exhibition about this in Oslo ( i think it was Oslo ).....that and the Fram ( Admundsens ship )......then up Holmekollen !! great memories !!
              Hello Jason,

Yes, the museum is a superb place. It has expanded somewhat now though, and there is talk of it being moved because the access to the museum is very limited, road wise. The road leading up to the museum is through a surburban area and the road isnt really too good for coaches and buses.

Holmenkollen, the ski-jump, has just been rebuilt (again). No doubt you stood, as most visitors do, both at the top of the landing area and right at the top where the tower is. Holmenkollen is famous for the degree of steepness on landing. Tyhe most shocking thing for most people though is in the tower itself, where at the back, one can stand and look through to the ground far, far below. Makes one step back....

One of the viking ships in the museuem was discovered here in my home town, in an area called Gogstad. (pronounced gok-stad) The mound that it was found in, is still there, and last year it was decided to do another dig to see if any more was left hidden around the mound's outer areas.

Hello Lynn,

Hounslow? Surbiton? West London eh?...haha

best wishes

Phil
              Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Accountability? ....

Comment

inspired by Thor Heyerdahl

Hello Phil. Thanks.

Actually, I was referring to this.

Mr. & Mrs. Brian Norris' Ford Popular, inspired by the expeditions of Thor Heyerdahl, explores the mysteries of suburban London. From Monty Python's Flying C...

Cheers.
                LC

Comment

Hello Lynn,

Getting from Surbiton to Hounslow is not as easy now. The rafts are terrible!

best wishes

Phil
                  Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Accountability? ....

Comment

I read the book many years ago and thoroughly enjoyed it. What I found so amazing was that here was a guy with no money, nobody to go with, and who didn't know a damn thing about how you build a raft and sail it. Yet, he made it happen. It was as if the universe said, "you supply the will and desire and I'll take care of everything else."

c.d.

Comment

Originally posted by c.d. View Post
                      I read the book many years ago and thoroughly enjoyed it. What I found so amazing was that here was a guy with no money, nobody to go with, and who didn't know a damn thing about how you build a raft and sail it. Yet, he made it happen. It was as if the universe said, "you supply the will and desire and I'll take care of everything else."

c.d.
                      Hello c.d.,

Then you will love the film. This version is the human aspect. I think even Heyerdahl himself would have approved. His two sons have.

best wishes

Phil
                      Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Accountability? ....

Comment

Originally posted by Phil Carter View Post
                        Hello c.d.,

Then you will love the film. This version is the human aspect. I think even Heyerdahl himself would have approved. His two sons have.

best wishes

Phil
                        Hello Phil,

I will be on the lookout for that film. Thanks for making us aware of it.

I just finished another great book that I think you would like, "Tracks" by Robyn Davidson. In 1978, a young Australian woman decided she would like to explore thousands of miles of the Australian outback on her own with nothing but camels and her dog. Like Heyerdahl she faced enormous obstacles...no money, didn't know where you could get camels and knew nothing about training them or caring for them. But damned if she didn't make it happen. Both Outside Magazine and the National Geographic listed it as one of the best outdoor adventure books. I really enjoyed it.

I am also currently reading another great outdoor book, "Young Men and Fire" by Norman Maclean. He also wrote "A River Runs Through It." It is the true story of young firefighters who parachuted into the area of a forest fire in Montana in 1949. They ended up being trapped by the fire with no escape. Of the 15 that jumped, only two survived. Again, both Outside Magazine and the National Geographic listed it as one of the best.

I think you will like them both.

c.d.

Comment

Working...
                        X