Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Security

Hi All,

The other day a guy whose ski jet conked out in the waters around New York's JFK airport, swam ashore, walked across a few runways and presented himself, dripping wet, at the Delta Airlines desk, completely unobserved by an army of security guards and a billion dollars' worth of hi-tech electronic surveillance equipment.

Is all this "security" really there to keep us safe, or just to remind us to be frightened?

Regards,

Simon
    Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Originally posted by Simon Wood View Post
    Is all this "security" really there to keep us safe, or just to remind us to be frightened?
    You're answering your own question there, Simon.

Dr. Johnson addressed this problem in the 18th century.

Society cannot deal with people unafraid to die.
    allisvanityandvexationofspirit

Comment

Hi All,

The other day a guy whose ski jet conked out in the waters around New York's JFK airport, swam ashore, walked across a few runways and presented himself, dripping wet, at the Delta Airlines desk, completely unobserved by an army of security guards and a billion dollars' worth of hi-tech electronic surveillance equipment.

Regards,

Simon
      I heard it reported this morning that he was "dripping wet" when he reported to the Delta desk, but that sounds doubtful given that he had trecked across several runways in the summer heat. He may have been in a wetsuit but he wasn't, I think, actually still dripping with water.

Chris (Doubting Thompson) George
      Christopher T. George
      Organizer, RipperCon #JacktheRipper-#True Crime Conference
      just held in Baltimore, April 7-8, 2018.
      For information about RipperCon, go to http://rippercon.com/
      RipperCon 2018 talks can now be heard at http://www.casebook.org/podcast/

Comment

Hiding in plain sight.

Mike
        huh?

Comment

Hi All,

Regards,

Simon
          It's the same here in Britain. The government wants us all to be in a permanent state of fear. Maybe they think they can control us better that way?
          This is simply my opinion

Comment

I live in a constant state of fear. There's those cigarettes for a start. And then the morbid obesity. Am I obese, morbidly obese, or morbid? I'm thin, but am I morbidly thin? And then there's fruit. The Government wants me to eat more fruit. I think it's the fruit that will get me in the end. I haven't been eating enough. Bad show.

Comment

the cure

Hello Robert. The devil take the fruit. Just watch more "Monty Python's Flying Circus"--you'll be alright.

Cheers.
              LC

Comment

At least I'll know what to do if I'm attacked with fruit.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert View Post
                  I live in a constant state of fear. There's those cigarettes for a start. And then the morbid obesity. Am I obese, morbidly obese, or morbid? I'm thin, but am I morbidly thin? And then there's fruit. The Government wants me to eat more fruit. I think it's the fruit that will get me in the end. I haven't been eating enough. Bad show.
                  And then again is a tomato a fruit or a vegetable? And should we pronounce it tom-arto or tom-ayto? There's too darn much to worry about these days!

Chris
                  Christopher T. George
                  Organizer, RipperCon #JacktheRipper-#True Crime Conference
                  just held in Baltimore, April 7-8, 2018.
                  For information about RipperCon, go to http://rippercon.com/
                  RipperCon 2018 talks can now be heard at http://www.casebook.org/podcast/

Comment

Tomatoes

Originally posted by ChrisGeorge View Post
                    And then again is a tomato a fruit or a vegetable? And should we pronounce it tom-arto or tom-ayto? There's too darn much to worry about these days!

Chris
                    Hi Chris,

That's the difference between knowledge and wisdom:
                    Knowledge is awareness that tomato is a fruit; wisdom is the decision not to put it in a fruit salad.

Regards, Bridewell.
                    I won't always agree but I'll try not to be disagreeable.

Comment

Originally posted by Bridewell View Post
                      Hi Chris,

That's the difference between knowledge and wisdom:
                      Knowledge is awareness that tomato is a fruit; wisdom is the decision not to put it in a fruit salad.

Regards, Bridewell.
                      Hello Colin,

Very good indeed!
                      Which makes me wonder why I have Heinz Salad Cream on mashed potatoes. Or why I have pepsi in my vodka. Or smoke ciggies knowing it might kill me.

Security? Simon's point is a good one. Do enough people actually care about their job? Do they know what they are actually there for? Or is it just an income for some?

One thing. Id wager that anyone wearing a skin tight wetsuit walking any distance would still be wet. Dripping in sweat.

Best wishes

Phil
                      Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Justice for the 96 = achieved
                      Accountability? ....

Comment

Working...
                      X