Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My seven year old son said to me this morning we should have an Olympics party tonight. Great idea. we are. cant wait.

What a bunch of wet blankets on here.

Comment

Wet blankets? Can't we leave the NHS out of it?

Comment

Personally, I'm delighted to have got the hell out of Dodge before the madness began.

Yes, Yes, it's all very patriotic and all, but much as I may give it the occasional glimpse on the telly etc. etc.; living with it on the doorstep would have been quite horrible, I should think.

When I told people I was happy to be leaving London before the Olympics started, they all thought I was crazy.

Weird.

Comment

These murders were committed at an Olympic Games. The Israelis should get their moments of silence, and they should boycott the Olympics until they get it.

Interesting what the writer says about there being a constant cry of anti-semitism. I can only speak for the UK, and over here the Jews seem half-asleep.

Comment

Your tip for Olympic Flame lighter?

in the running-

The Queen
            Princes William and Harry
            (emerging from a tower- get it?)
            Sir Steve Redgrave and or
            Dame Kelly Holmes
            Britain's best loved sportsperson
            (whoever that is)
            Britains best loved personality
            (whoever that is)

best wishes Phil
            Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Justice for the 96 = achieved
            Accountability? ....

Comment

Given the fiasco surrounding the organisation of security around these games its perhaps not surprising that they prefer not to be reminded of past failures.Never the less it remains a disgrace that all the Olympic organisers and celebs will be too busy partying and congratulating themselves for 3 hours at the opening ceremony to spare even a minute to remember the murder of Olympic athletes. What happened to the concept of the Olympic 'family'

Comment

I suppose it's a good job Baden-Powell is no longer with us - the Games might have been delayed for a couple of days while he tried to get the sticks to work.

Comment

The person lighting the torch will be Hugh Knows.
                  allisvanityandvexationofspirit

Comment

I think I only know three British athletes
                    the Bipolar bicyclist, and I think he's dead. And Scottish.
                    The guys from Chariots of Fire,
                    and Eddie the Eagle.

I hope it's Eddie the Eagle.
                    The early bird might get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Comment

Well, that was fun.

I thought the producer made a wise choice not to try and compete with the scale of the Beijing opening.

A little uneven in parts, but some shining moments--Mike Oldfield and Rowan Atkinson in particular. Fireworks were fantastic, as was the cauldron.

Too bad they didn't follow through on all the Pink Floyd references And the Iron Maiden rumours turned out to be false, but oh well.
                      “Sans arme, sans violence et sans haine”

Comment

The American coverage of the Olympic opening ceremonies constantly mentions that the stadium is located in the East End, but there has not been a single mention of the area's most famous serial killer.

Comment

Managed to watch about 45 minutes before being bored rigid and going to listen to some of MY musical heritage. Where were the likes of Black Sabbath,Deep Purple,Pink Floyd.Iron Maiden? Think Led Zeppelin may have got about 4 seconds but then we got a full performance from Dizee Rascal??

Did turn back on at about midnight to see the cauldron lit which was at least original and spectacular but do we really need the 3 hours+ before hand of jingoistic nationalism? It is after all supposed to be a sporting event so why cant we just get on with the sport?

Comment

I saw bits of the opening ceremony and must admit that I was quite impressed. It must have been thrilling to actually have been there.

My husband worked all night (he drives a real London taxi) but said that, far from creating business and work for him, the restrictions on so many roads (and who can use them) is costing him customers.

Comment

Originally posted by brummie View Post
                              Managed to watch about 45 minutes before being bored rigid and going to listen to some of MY musical heritage. Where were the likes of Black Sabbath,Deep Purple,Pink Floyd.Iron Maiden? Think Led Zeppelin may have got about 4 seconds but then we got a full performance from Dizee Rascal??

Did turn back on at about midnight to see the cauldron lit which was at least original and spectacular but do we really need the 3 hours+ before hand of jingoistic nationalism? It is after all supposed to be a sporting event so why cant we just get on with the sport?
                              Didn't I read in the news online that The Clash were mentioned or their music played? I think even Pink Ployd may have got a mention? Also - The Sex Pistols!! That made me smile! Johnny Rotten is famously opposed to any form of 'establishment'.

Comment

Unfortunately Paul McCartney doesn't really cut it now, Ozzy would have been so much better. But then why does it have to be a British theme, after all it is an international event why not feature artists from a number of differnt competing countries. Some Rammstein from Germany,Lacuna Coil from italy,Nightwish from Finland and of course Within Temptation from The Netherlands - now they would have provided a spectactular conclusion!

Comment

Working...
                                X