The Reid Scale: Classic Unsolved Murder Cases

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by sdreid View Post
    In Illinois, it's called a Certificate of Innocence. Alan Beaman is seeking one but the state is fighting it because it would leave them open for damages.
    Alan Beaman. Generally, the police and prosecutor's office are protected from suits based on wrongful conviction if there was no misconduct, but if there really was misconduct on the part of the prosecutor, I'm not sure how a Certificate of Innocence would make a difference one way of another, other than speeding up the proceedings, or causing the state to settle, rather than going to (civil) trial.

Apparently, what the prosecutor(s) did, or neglected to do, rather, was failed to turn over information regarding another suspect to the defense. The prosecution is required to make full disclosure of all potentially exculpating evidence. I haven't been able to find the prosecution's response to the charge, although I have a cousin who works for the prosecutor's office in Chicago, so I might email him. I'm assuming Beaman's trial took place in whatever county Bloomington, IL is in, since that's where the crime was committed.

Comment

• I think Beaman is mainly seeking monetary compensation for his ~15 years in prison so they aren't exactly punitive damages.

Recent DNA tests from the crime scene yielded two profiles, neither of whom was Beaman.

Lockmiller's mother has said from the beginning that she thought Beaman was innocent.
      This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

Comment

I think Beaman is mainly seeking monetary compensation for his ~15 years in prison so they aren't exactly punitive damages.
        In order not to seek punitive damages, he needs a Certificate of Innocence? Does that mean that without it, his only recourse would be a suit against the prosecutor? Does the state of Illinois have some kind of fund for reparations to people wrongly convicted, but only if they are judged actually innocent?

I mean, I guess I could see something like that, because even when a person was convicted due to prosecutorial or judicial error, by the time it came to light, the prosecutor or judge could be dead, and I guess I can see why a Certificate of Innocence would be required, because a lot of people win appeals on technicalities who are probably not innocent, and there was a spate of women pardoned in the late 1990s, in several different states, after serving part of a life sentence, because several governors thought that if the battered women's defense had been available to them, they probably would have been able to use it, and been found "not guilty," but since it is an affirmative defense, they are not innocent, and wouldn't be entitled to recompense from a fund for wrongly convicted people, I wouldn't think.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cogidubnus View Post
          I was attempting a "funny" Rivkah...clearly I did not succeed...

All the best

Dave
          You did, but clearly not across the board.
          I won't always agree but I'll try not to be disagreeable.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bridewell View Post
            You did, but clearly not across the board.
            I still await an explanation.

Comment

• As I recall, the trial to have Dr. Sam Sheppard declared innocent was a civil proceeding. It failed.

Stan Reid

Comment

• You'll have to spell it out, because I still don't get it.
                I still await an explanation.
                Hi Rivkah...yes ma'am!

Apologies for not replying before - have only just come across the thread again.

Politicians are guilty as sin and constantly labour under a cloud...and yet even for the worst of them a time comes round when they find an opportunity to openly declare their innocence...that time is called...an election...

Clearly it wasn't THAT much of a funny even before I had to explain it...Think I'll stick with the day job!

All the best

Dave

Comment

As I recall, the trial to have Dr. Sam Sheppard declared innocent was a civil proceeding. It failed.
                  I saw the verdict on TV, live I think.

Stan Reid

Comment

• More examples:

0-William Cook
                    1-William Heirens
                    2-Adelaide Bartlett
                    3-Robison Family Massacre
                    4-Zodiac
                    5-Cabin 28 Massacre

Stan Reid

Comment

I think Beaman is mainly seeking monetary compensation for his ~15 years in prison so they aren't exactly punitive damages.

Recent DNA tests from the crime scene yielded two profiles, neither of whom was Beaman.

Lockmiller's mother has said from the beginning that she thought Beaman was innocent.
                      In the last few weeks, Beaman was certified as innocent by a judge.

Stan Reid

Comment

More examples:

0-William Cook
                        1-William Heirens
                        2-Adelaide Bartlett
                        3-Robison Family Massacre
                        4-Zodiac
                        5-Cabin 28 Massacre
                        The William Cook murder spree from 1950/51 is the first case I can remember when it was ongoing and in the news.

Stan Reid

Comment

• The only other case on that list I remember in real time is Zodiac.

Stan Reid

Comment

• It looks like the status of the Boston Strangler might change in the near future, if it hasn't already.

Stan Reid

Comment

• Probably from a 4 to a 3 at the moment.

Stan Reid

Comment

• It bothers me a bit that two DNA tests that supposedly came from the same source had opposite results.

Stan Reid

Comment

Working...
                                X