Greatest physicists of all time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello Sam,

I am sure that you are familiar with Samuel Johnson's comment regarding personal hygiene. But for those that aren't he apparently was not given to frequent bathing. Sharing a carriage with a woman, she looked at him with disgust and said "Sir, you smell. To which Johnson replied "on the contrary madam, I stink you smell."

c.d.

Comment

I absolutely love Neil deGrasse Tyson although I guess technically he is an astrophysicist. I think he is brilliant and I love his sense of humor and his ability to explain things in a simple manner. His passion for science and learning is infectious.

c.d.

Comment

Originally posted by c.d. View Post
        I am currently reading "A Universe from Nothing" by Lawrence Krauss or should I say attempting to read since I was an English Literature major and always pretty dumb in science. It addresses the question of whether the universe can create itself from "nothing." I have heard that Krauss is a candidate for the Nobel Prize.

He is also an atheist and so the book attempts to address the question of whether the universe requited a creator.

c.d.
        Hi cd
        Just finished reading it. Fascinating stuff.

Comment

Hello Abby,

I hope you understood it better than me. I have to admit that I am struggling at times.

c.d.

Comment

Krauss has a lot of great youtube videos but there is one with Richard Dawkins that is just tremendous. I will see if I can find it.

c.d.

Comment

If you go to Google and put in Dawkins/Krauss/Arizona State University it will bring it up. A brilliant lecture by the two of them.

c.d.

Comment

Originally posted by c.d. View Post
                Krauss has a lot of great youtube videos but there is one with Richard Dawkins that is just tremendous. I will see if I can find it.

c.d.
                Thanks! Yes, he's awesome. Right now I'm struggling with Roger Penrose Road to reality. I think it might actually be a physics textbook. LOL!

Comment

Leibnitz invented the Calculus. Maxwell had his silver hammer.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Nelson View Post
                    no comprende on the second sentence. Please explain?

Comment

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maxwell's_Silver_Hammer

Comment

Originally posted by Robert View Post
                        https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maxwell's_Silver_Hammer
                        Thanks Robert
                        I still don't get how it pertains to newton though.
                        unless he means that "maxwells silver hammer" was the calculus that Newton used describe gravity.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Nelson View Post
                          Sorry, this is not true. The general consensus today is that Leibniz and Newton both independently invented calculus. Some give Leibniz greater credit while others give greater credit to Newton. I think most believe Newton probably invented it first but the timleline is still open for debate. A middle ground of giving both men credit for the invention of calculus is thus generally accepted.

Comment

I vote for Newton, mostly because he once lived near me.
                            His personal hygiene may have been questionable but, unlike some, at least he wore a wig when he had a bad hair day.

Comment

They came at it from different ends, didn't they? Newton from differentiation and Leibniz from integration.

Comment

I vote for Newton, mostly because he once lived near me.

Blimey, you've survived well, Joshua.

Comment

Working...
                                X