Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Docklands Museum

Hi All

New book to coincide with the forthcoming exhibition at the Docklands Museum - release date yesterday.

Received mine today. The quality is excellent.

On Amazon you can get it at a reduced price - about £16.50

Coral

Can you give us some insight into who "Various" might be?

Comment

Originally posted by Kelly View Post
      Can you give us some insight into who "Various" might be?
      Hi Kelly,

According to Amazon, the contributors are...

Peter Ackroyd, author of London: The Biography and Thames: Sacred River;

Clive Bloom, author of Violent London and Gothic Horror

John Marriott, editor of 6 collections on 19th century London;

Anne Kershen, author of Huguenots, Jews and Bangladeshis in Spitalfields;

Louise Jackson, author of books on children, women and the police in the 19th century;

Laura Vaughan, expert on poverty in Victorian London.

...sounds like it should make for an interesting, and rather "different", read.
      Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Hi all,

I got this today in my local Waterstone's. Nice looking book.

Just been perusing it and on the face of things it looks like a sound collection of essays reflecting on different aspects of the East End which were highlighted by the Ripper murders.

However, it galls me to say that Peter Ackroyd's introduction is riddled with errors - some of them real whoppers.

The rest looks to be an interestingly diverse (and even scholarly) read.

JB

Comment

Originally posted by John Bennett View Post

The rest looks to be an interestingly diverse (and even scholarly) read.

JB
          Mmm, the chapter about the geography of the area and how thoroughfare accessibility corresponds to poverty and criminality was top stuff....

JB

Comment

Originally posted by John Bennett View Post
            Mmm, the chapter about the geography of the area and how thoroughfare accessibility corresponds to poverty and criminality was top stuff....

JB
            What does "thoroughfare accessibility" mean John?
            I think it was probably more a case of the reserve pool of the unemployed being pretty crucial to the rate of profit .............and did it really matter if they were killing each other....

Comment

Hi Nats,

It's called 'space syntax' and I'd never heard of it before yesterday, but it does seem logical.

The poverty and criminality seemed to increase where accessibility to places became more limited. Hence Hanbury Street and Buck's Row were relatively respectable compared to Miller's Court and the rookeries around Flower and Dean Street which were essentially cul-de-sacs with only one point of access.

The book has some very detailed analysis of the Booth poverty maps as well as modern interpretations of the geography of the district in the LVP.

JB

Comment

No "spoilers", please! My copy arrives tomorrow or the day after
                Kind regards, Sam Flynn

Comment

Thanks John,I think I"m following !
                  I had a glance through it today at Waterstones but wasnt that impressed.It was certainly very beautifully produced I admit, but seemed to be wading about with nowhere to go somehow.The pictures in it didnt compare to Philip and Rob"s book,not did the overview of the case shed any new light.But I will certainly look at it again.
                  Will be interested to hear from Sam too on his take

Comment

Hi Nats,
                    Originally posted by Natalie Severn View Post
                    Will be interested to hear from Sam too on his take
                    Sam will probably get a bollocking for ordering yet another Ripper book I'll let you know how I get on, though!
                    Kind regards, Sam Flynn

Comment

I've had the book about a week now and the only word to describe it is disappointing. An opportunity missed I'm afraid.

Comment

Hi Ya! Personally, I don't wan't to read about it, I just want to go to the exhibition!!!!! Not long to go now.......anyone else going? Interested in a meet up?...Look on it this way, if it's crap,it's more fun to be bored in a group than on your own...I am a fully paid up member of the "Grumpy old women"
                        club,if fed up,I am likely to walk around shaking my head in dismay!!!!! You get to watch my performance for free!!!

Comment

Working...
                        X