X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cogidubnus View Post
    What a load of old cobblers!

Dave
    Spoilsport! Knowall! Cocky whatsit! etc.
    Carol

Comment

Hello Archaic,

I think a mangler is a wrestler.

Fagetter - A female cigarette maker (as in 'fags').
      Dexter - A glove maker.
      Platelayer - A housemaid.
      Jack - Someone who climbs to high places to repair them.
      Wabster - I think you made this one up.
      Wonkey-scoop: I don't think we would have had THESE in England! We have got our standards, you know.

Carol

Comment

A wabster is a man who compiles dictionaries with lots of spelling mistakes.

Comment

Road to Damascus...

Spoilsport! Knowall! Cocky whatsit! etc.
          Hi Carol...you missed out "smartarse" but essentially you've captured me there!

Incidentally, as regards "Jack" I suspect you're right (as in steeplejack); now why didn't I think of that? What a dummy!

Fred Dibnah Steeplejack the Ripper...he dunnit!

Dave

Comment

rhyming slang

Regular users of Cockney 'halved' the rhyming slang to make it even less understandable. In more recent times it is done more often than it used to be

Hi Phil - Yes, I've a mate who always uses "Andy" for a taxi...heard that one?

Dave

Comment

"Fred Dibnah Steeplejack the Ripper...he dunnit!"

Mutilated woman?

"I've got one of those in my back yard."

Comment

Oddly Named Victorian Occupations

Hi everyone.

Dave is right, a mangler is one who works a mangle, a simple machine for squeezing the water out of washed fabrics by brute force and pressing them semi-flat. The character 'Old Betty' and the boy known as 'Sloppy' work a mangler in Dickens' book 'Our Mutual Friend".

Carol, I didn't make any of those bizarre occupations up, I got them all from the list of Victorian Occupations at the top of the thread!

Dave got the most right- he was correct about mangler, correct about a platelayer being one who lays railroad-track, correct about a cordwainer being a cobbler, and correct about a faggetter being one who bundles up firewood.

Dave, I'd like to say that you win a first-edition signed copy of something, but alas, you only win our undying admiration and a couple of lousy virtual balloons.

(Don't pop them.)

'Fagetter': A bundler of firewood to sell.

'Dexter': A dyer (as in fabric-dyer.)

'Platelayer': One who lays railroad track.

'Jack': A young male assistant, sailor, or lumberjack.

'Wabster': A weaver (there's a good old Spitalfields-related term for you.)

'Wonkey-scoop': A driver who operates a one horse scoop.
                >>The type of scoop isn't specified... is it for digging holes during construction and taking away the dirt? Does anybody know?

Archaic
                Last edited by Archaic; 04-14-2012, 09:41 PM.

Comment

Wonkey-Scoop

Hi Archaic

Perhaps the scoop's a device for clearing the road of unwanted dung...

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Archaic View Post
                    Hi everyone.

Dave is right, a mangler is one who works a mangle, a simple machine for squeezing the water out of washed fabrics by brute force and pressing them semi-flat. The character 'Old Betty' and the boy known as 'Sloppy' work a mangler in Dickens' book 'Our Mutual Friend".

Carol, I didn't make any of those bizarre occupations up, I got them all from the list of Victorian Occupations at the top of the thread!

Dave got the most right- he was correct about mangler, correct about a platelayer being one who lays railroad-track, correct about a cordwainer being a cobbler, and correct about a faggetter being one who bundles up firewood.

Dave, I'd like to say that you win a first-edition signed copy of something, but alas, you only win our undying admiration and a couple of lousy virtual balloons.

(Don't pop them.)

'Fagetter': A bundler of firewood to sell.

'Dexter': A dyer (as in fabric-dyer.)

'Platelayer': One who lays railroad track.

'Jack': A young male assistant, sailor, or lumberjack.

'Wabster': A weaver (there's a good old Spitalfields-related term for you.)

'Wonkey-scoop': A driver who operates a one horse scoop.
                    >>The type of scoop isn't specified... is it for digging holes during construction and taking away the dirt? Does anybody know?

Archaic
                    Hello Archaic,

According to the definition of the word 'mangler' ( I quickly checked) then both Dave and I are correct- which version is oldest I do not know- but if one only refers to the Dickens example, then yes, Dave is correct.
                    Most elder posters here will remember the old music hall one liner handed down via tv of " I havent laughed so much since grandma got her left tit caught in the mangle"

best wishes

Phil
                    Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Justice for the 96 = achieved
                    Accountability? ....

Comment

Fred D

Mutilated woman? "I've got one of those in my back yard."
                      Nay lad...I know a man'll machine you up one of those!

Dave

Comment

Hi All,

Does anyone know (without looking it up) what a "ripper" did for a living?

Regards, Bridewell.
                        I won't always agree but I'll try not to be disagreeable.

Comment

Manglers & Mangles

Originally posted by Phil Carter View Post
                          i think 'Mangler' comes from 'to mangle'- i.e to cripple or destroy or deform. I presume therefore a mangler is one who does the above?
                          Hi Phil. Sorry, I didn't mean to overlook your post. You were on the right track, but this thread is specifically about terms for Victorian occupations, such as might be noted on a census.

(I think a person employed to "cripple or destroy or deform" might be termed a 'Mafia Hitman'? )

If in the Victorian Era a person's occupation is noted as "mangler", then it means they operated a mangle- a simple machine that forcibly squeezed the excess water out of washed sheets & clothing by pressing them very hard between large rollers. The rollers had a tensioning device that had to be laboriously tightened by hand, loosened, and tighted again as the clothes were passed through bit by bit.

The meaning of "mangler" isn't unique to Dickens. I just used that as a clue because two of his well-known fictional characters earn their living operating a mangle. As mangles are mentioned repeatedly in 'Our Mutual Our Friend', I thought that clue might help jog people's memories.

Here's a link to a lovely photo of a c. 1880's mangle with a brief explanation of how it worked, courtesy of Shortfinal's blog. (A very nice blog by the way; check it out.) http://shortfinals.wordpress.com/201...s-and-rhubarb/

Earlier in the 19th C. mangles were even larger and more primitive. Operating one of these was an extremely physical job, but they were considered quite modern conveniences as they cut down on drying time.

Best regards,
                          Archaic

Comment

Bridewell, I feel sure it's a coal mining term, but quite what is involved I've no idea.

Comment

Ripper

Originally posted by Bridewell View Post
                              Hi All, Does anyone know (without looking it up) what a "ripper" did for a living? Regards, Bridewell.
                              Ooh, Bridey, that's a good one!!

I don't think anybody will get it without peeking.

Cheers,
                              Archaic

Comment

Going back about thirty years (jeez!) to the copper miners of Cornwall, wasn't the ripper the guy who exposed the flat face of the seam ? I base this on a long-ago visit to Morwhelam Quay in Cornwall....

Dave

Comment

Working...
                                X