Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would Tumblety Have Assumed That He Was Being Followed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mklhawley View Post
    Inspector Andrews stated to the Canadian press in December 1888 that they were STILL interested in interviewing Tumblety on the Ripper case AFTER absconding.
    This statement does not fit to well with your theory does it.

If he had already been arrested and interviewed why would Andrews make that statement ?

Comment

Originally posted by Trevor Marriott View Post

Take a tip from me don't believe all you read in newspapers, they clearly distorted the facts back then, and the press are still doing so today.
      I don't since it was corroborated by three Scotland Yard officials. It's interesting that you don't take your own advice, when you clearly believed the Sir George Arthur story when it was only in a "secondary source" and the exact newspaper article that stated Tumblety was arrested on suspicion. How biased.
      The Ripper's Haunts/JtR Suspect Dr. Francis Tumblety (Sunbury Press)
      http://www.michaelLhawley.com

Comment

This statement does not fit to well with your theory does it.

If he had already been arrested and interviewed why would Andrews make that statement ?

www.trevormarriott.co.uk
        Newsflash, his arrest on suspicion was for a different reason (or set of reasons) than why they believed he was a suspect significant enough to re-arrest him for gross indecency. Also, the re-arrest was clearly because of what they discovered in the dossier. Are you trying to say they would not continue with the investigation on the Whitechapel investigation? The fact that they wanted to interview him again confirms additional investigation.

Sorry Trevor.
        The Ripper's Haunts/JtR Suspect Dr. Francis Tumblety (Sunbury Press)
        http://www.michaelLhawley.com

Comment

Originally posted by pinkmoon View Post
          If you read Simon woods excellent book" deconstructing jack "it becomes very obvious that Tumblety was only a cover for the police to travel overseas to investigate other matters.
          Without wishing to disrupt Mike's thread, I think you will find that Simon doesn't actually say this in his book. His theory is that the notion of Tumblety as a JTR suspect was itself a cover story - 'one of the most ingenious cover stories in history' - to deflect attention from his gross indecency arrest which was supposedly connected to the Cleveland Street scandal, although Simon tells us it would be 'premature' to provide any evidence of this connection so he doesn't, and consequently it is impossible to understand.

It is true that Simon has said on the boards that Superintendent Shore used Tumblety's flight to New York as a cover story to go to New York in early December 1888 but, in his book, he changes his mind and suggests that Shore sailed to New York on the Elbe, departing from Southampton on 11 November and arriving in New York on 21 November - well before Tumblety's flight - and gave an interview to a representative of the Philadelphia Times published on 25 November in which he was identified as 'Inspector Soyle'.

Comment

Originally posted by mklhawley View Post
            Newsflash, his arrest on suspicion was for a different reason (or set of reasons) than why they believed he was a suspect significant enough to re-arrest him for gross indecency. Also, the re-arrest was clearly because of what they discovered in the dossier. Are you trying to say they would not continue with the investigation on the Whitechapel investigation? The fact that they wanted to interview him again confirms additional investigation.

Sorry Trevor.
            In case you didn't know the police did not conduct official interviews in 1888.

After an arrest the police were not permitted to question persons arrested except under certain circumstances.

1. To establish the suspects true identity

2. When about to arrest a man without a warrant, and the answer to a particular question may operate in his interest by removing some doubt as to his guilt and so make it unnecessary to arrest him. But great care and discretion are necessary in such cases, to avoid any suggestion of an endeavor to extract an admission from him, and he should be cautioned before the question is put, that he need not answer, and that if he does his answer may be used as evidence against him.

3. If in any exceptional case it should become absolutely necessary for some urgent reason to put a question to a prisoner he should, of course, be cautioned

Extract from Lord Bramptons address to constables 1882

"When, however, a Constable has a warrant to arrest, or is about to arrest a person on his own authority, or has a person in custody for a crime, it is wrong to question such person touching the crime of which he is accused. Neither judge, magistrate nor juryman, can interrogate an accused person—unless he tenders himself as a witness, or require him to answer questions tending to incriminate himself. Much less, then, ought a Constable to do so, whose duty as regards that person is simply to arrest and detain him in safe custody. On arresting a man a Constable ought simply to read his warrant, or tell the accused the nature of the charge upon which he is arrested, leaving it to the person so arrested to say anything or nothing as he pleases. For a Constable to press any accused person to say anything with reference to the crime of which he is accused is very wrong"

Comment

Even if it did happen, how would the police have been able to put together enough evidence to be able to charge him, and take him to court the following day? Just by having in their possession a number of letters which the writers may not even gave been able to be traced or identified.

In order for them to have been of evidential value they would have to have contained explicit details of gross indecency committed by Tumblety, along with the dates of the offences, and would need to have contained the writers name and address. Now 4 potential victims all providing all of those seems hard to accept.

And the final nail in your futile attempt to keep Tumblety as a viable suspect is the fact that again even if he had been arrested as you suggest. He could not have been arrested for the gross indecency offences without a warrant, and so we get back to what I said earlier the police would have to have had sufficient evidence to go to a magistrates and ask for an arrest warrant, and if that had have been granted would have to have had their evidence in plave before they could charge him. With just a few letters that would not have been possible.
              That is a very confused post Trevor.

You talk of Tumblety being taken to court "the following day" but you have no idea on what date he was arrested on suspicion on being the Whitechapel Murderer (as newspaper reports suggest he was). After finding incriminating correspondence on him, the police could have had a number of days to investigate the matter, collect evidence on the gross indecency/indecent assault charges by speaking to witnesses and obtain a warrant on the basis of that evidence. We don't actually know what the charges were at the time of his arrest, we only know what he was committed to trial for and the charges (including specific dates) could have been added between his first appearance at the Police Court following his arrest and the Committal hearing.

Comment

In case you didn't know the police did not conduct official interviews in 1888.

After an arrest the police were not permitted to question persons arrested except under certain circumstances.

1. To establish the suspects true identity

2. When about to arrest a man without a warrant, and the answer to a particular question may operate in his interest by removing some doubt as to his guilt and so make it unnecessary to arrest him. But great care and discretion are necessary in such cases, to avoid any suggestion of an endeavor to extract an admission from him, and he should be cautioned before the question is put, that he need not answer, and that if he does his answer may be used as evidence against him.

3. If in any exceptional case it should become absolutely necessary for some urgent reason to put a question to a prisoner he should, of course, be cautioned

Extract from Lord Bramptons address to constables 1882

"When, however, a Constable has a warrant to arrest, or is about to arrest a person on his own authority, or has a person in custody for a crime, it is wrong to question such person touching the crime of which he is accused. Neither judge, magistrate nor juryman, can interrogate an accused person—unless he tenders himself as a witness, or require him to answer questions tending to incriminate himself. Much less, then, ought a Constable to do so, whose duty as regards that person is simply to arrest and detain him in safe custody. On arresting a man a Constable ought simply to read his warrant, or tell the accused the nature of the charge upon which he is arrested, leaving it to the person so arrested to say anything or nothing as he pleases. For a Constable to press any accused person to say anything with reference to the crime of which he is accused is very wrong"
                I think Mike was answering your question in #16:

"If he had already been arrested and interviewed why would Andrews make that statement ?"

If, as you now say, he could not have been arrested and then interviewed, that would explain why Andrews wanted to interview him would it not?

Comment

Originally posted by David Orsam View Post
                  I think Mike was answering your question in #16:

"If he had already been arrested and interviewed why would Andrews make that statement ?"

If, as you now say, he could not have been arrested and then interviewed, that would explain why Andrews wanted to interview him would it not?
                  Yes that is right so it rules out Mikes suggestion that he was arrested on or about Nov 7th for the murders and interviewed.

But the article if accurate quotes Andrews saying he was to be interviewed not arrested and not as a suspect ?

Comment

That is a very confused post Trevor.

You talk of Tumblety being taken to court "the following day" but you have no idea on what date he was arrested on suspicion on being the Whitechapel Murderer (as newspaper reports suggest he was). After finding incriminating correspondence on him, the police could have had a number of days to investigate the matter, collect evidence on the gross indecency/indecent assault charges by speaking to witnesses and obtain a warrant on the basis of that evidence. We don't actually know what the charges were at the time of his arrest, we only know what he was committed to trial for and the charges (including specific dates) could have been added between his first appearance at the Police Court following his arrest and the Committal hearing.
                    Newspaper reports and distorted facts go hand in glove with this Ripper mystery,

There would have to have been some evidence to bring charges of gross indecency and that evidence would have to have been strong enough for a remand in custody, and strong enough for a date for a committal to be agreed on. You don't just arrest someone on suspicion and then get them remanded while you try to put a case together.

For him to have been arrested at any time if it ever did happen it has been embellished by those who seek to prop him up as a prime suspect.

The only likely scenario would have been for him to have been found wandering the streets of Whitechapel as were many at that time, and when stopped by the police they could not establish his true identity and arrsted on suspicion If that did happen then we do not know when that took place. But clearly they had nothing on him.

Police action open to them if that did happen !

A prisoner apprehended for homicide or any offence involving fraud or dishonesty, should be searched as soon as practicable after he or she is charged ; and all weapons, valuable property, documents, books, or memoranda taken from him or her, carefully labelled and accurately described in the charge sheet, to be used as evidence if occasion requires, great care being taken both on the way to the station and at the station, that by no artifice, he or she succeeds in destroying, tearing, swallowing, or hiding about the person per anum aut per vaginam anything whatsoever bearing on his or her offence. Money not connected with the offence charged should not be taken from a prisoner.

The prisoner's house, lodgings, and effects should also be searched with the same object, and by two officers if possible.

As to the gross indecency offences I see no reason for me to change the facts I have presented to date to show that on the night Kelly was killed he was locked up on remand.

Last edited by Trevor Marriott; 08-23-2015, 09:55 AM.

Comment

Yes that is right so it rules out Mikes suggestion that he was arrested on or about Nov 7th for the murders and interviewed.
                      Mike said that the police were still interested in interviewing Tumblety after he absconded. He didn't, as far as I can see from this thread, say anything about a prior interview.

Comment

Mike said that the police were still interested in interviewing Tumblety after he absconded. He didn't, as far as I can see from this thread, say anything about a prior interview.
                        Well Mike seems to think he was arrested for being the murder

Comment

As to the gross indecency offences I see no reason for me to change the facts I have presented to date to show that on the night Kelly was killed he was locked up on remand.
                          You are now trying to bring matters into this thread which have nothing to do with this thread and which you have shown to be completely wrong in a number of other threads.

The point I was making in response to your posts was that Tumblety could have been arrested on suspicion of murder, correspondence could have been found on him, enquiries could have been made as a result, evidence could have been gathered so that there was sufficient prima facie evidence to obtain a warrant to arrest him on a gross indecency and/or indecent assault charge a few days later. I shouldn't need to state that the fact that a magistrate issues a warrant does not mean that the evidence is very strong otherwise every warrant would end in conviction. It's just a prima facie case. Nor does the fact that Tumblety was remanded in custody (possibly for 24 hours only) mean that the case against him was any more than a prima facie case because it might just mean that he was not in a position to pay the required bail at the time of the hearing or the police needed 24 hours to check his sureties. But whether it was strong or not is irrelevant because the police could have put forward a watertight case against Tumblety after finding the correspondence in his possession and his conviction might have been certain from the start but was avoided due to his flight from justice. We just don't know.

And I suppose, bearing in mind the title of this thread, that I should add that I have no idea if Tumblety would have assumed he was being followed.

Comment

You are now trying to bring matters into this thread which have nothing to do with this thread and which you have shown to be completely wrong in a number of other threads.

The point I was making in response to your posts was that Tumblety could have been arrested on suspicion of murder, correspondence could have been found on him, enquiries could have been made as a result, evidence could have been gathered so that there was sufficient prima facie evidence to obtain a warrant to arrest him on a gross indecency and/or indecent assault charge a few days later. I shouldn't need to state that the fact that a magistrate issues a warrant does not mean that the evidence is very strong otherwise every warrant would end in conviction. It's just a prima facie case. Nor does the fact that Tumblety was remanded in custody (possibly for 24 hours only) mean that the case against him was any more than a prima facie case because it might just mean that he was not in a position to pay the required bail at the time of the hearing or the police needed 24 hours to check his sureties. But whether it was strong or not is irrelevant because the police could have put forward a watertight case against Tumblety after finding the correspondence in his possession and his conviction might have been certain from the start but was avoided due to his flight from justice. We just don't know.

And I suppose, bearing in mind the title of this thread, that I should add that I have no idea if Tumblety would have assumed he was being followed.
                            In 1888 with regards to how the criminal justice system operated you are forgetting that after arrest the police could not interview, so when making an arrest they either had to have had sufficient evidence for at least a prima faciea case or not. I accept that between arrest and committal additional evidence may have been gathered and presented at the committal

So when Tumblety was arrested on warrant for the gross indecency offences they had sufficient evidence to charge, and that charge must have been based on some evidence, what that was we do not know, but the date of the offences tends to show that he may have been the subject of a police operation, and these letters may be nothing more than a smoke screen if they ever existed.

As you did before you are muddying the waters with if`s but`s and maybes. Which is fine but it doesn't detract from the facts that on the night Kelly was murdered he was in custody.

Now we have explored all these issues in great detail before, and I do not propose to get embroiled in the same arguments yet again.

Comment

On another note finally regarding the granting of bail if you recall I cited a number of reasons why Tumbety would not have been granted bail to which you and others rejected all but one if my memory serves me right.

Here is another extract from Lord Bramptons speech regarding bail. Although this is directed at the police and with him being one of the highest judges in the land at the times the lower courts would have taken notice of him !!!!

"In coming to a decision many circumstances have to be considered ; among them the general character of the accused, and whether he has a known and fixed place of abode ; for a man of character living in a fixed home would be very unlikely to abscond and forfeit his recognizance. On the other hand, a man arrested whilst committing a serious crime, e.g., a burglary, or a violent breach of the peace, could hardly be left without restraint. So if the crime imputed was in itself one inviting long or serious punishment, e.g., murder, rape, etc., it is unlikely that any Police Officer would under ordinary circumstances take upon himself the responsibility of releasing a man on bail ; for few persons could be trusted not to endeavour to evade by flight charges which would (if proved) involve such serious consequences."

Comment

In 1888 with regards to how the criminal justice system operated you are forgetting that after arrest the police could not interview,
                                I'm not forgetting anything Trevor. I haven't said anything about Tumblety being interviewed. I said that he could have been arrested on suspicion for a felony (murder) without a warrant, compromising documents could have been found on him which led the police to conduct an investigation and obtain a warrant to arrest him for an unrelated misdemeanour.

I accept that between arrest and committal additional evidence may have been gathered and presented at the committal
                                Amazing. It's just about the first concession I can ever remember you making in any of our exchanges.

So when Tumblety was arrested on warrant for the gross indecency offences they had sufficient evidence to charge, and that charge must have been based on some evidence, what that was we do not know, but the date of the offences tends to show that he may have been the subject of a police operation, and these letters may be nothing more than a smoke screen if they ever existed.
                                Now you are speaking of ifs buts and maybes. While Tumblety might have been followed by undercover officers over a period of months that seems very unlikely to me - there is certainly no evidence for it - and the fact that the police were able to identify dates for the indecency offences can be very easily and simply explained by the discovery of correspondence on his person and evidence subsequently obtained from witnesses (or victims) of the indecent assaults.

Comment

Working...
                                X