1888 Police

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1888 Police

based on what is known and available, is there any evidence to suggest that the police at the time had picked up on the killings being perpetrated around the end of the week ? was this noticed but just deemed to be conincidence ?

If so, did the concentration of officers on the beat increase around the weekend ?

Hi Jason,

I believe so. Canadian Deputy Minister Smith was writing to another Canadian about the Whitechapel murders in late November 1888, specifically about the suspect Francis Tumblety. Regardless of your take on Tumblety, notice the weekend reference in relation to Scotland Yard officials investigating possible suspects:

“He is the man who was arrested in London three weeks ago as the Whitechapel murderer. He had been living in Birmingham and used to come up to London on Saturday nights. The police have always had their eyes on him every place he went and finally the Birmingham Police telegraphed to the London Police that he had left for London, and on his arrival he was nabbed accordingly.”

Smith seems to have inside information from Scotland Yard about 'Saturday nights'. This certainly suggests that Scotland Yard was focusing upon the weekends.

Sincerely,

Mike
    The Ripper's Haunts/JtR Suspect Dr. Francis Tumblety (Sunbury Press)
    http://www.michaelLhawley.com

Comment

that is interesting. I was wondering whether the Tabram murder ( which occurred on a bank holiday monday i believe ) was potentially discounted as being a ripper event based on this information.I know that doesnt prove anything as a stand alone fact but with the benefit of hindsight, perhaps it was a factor.

Comment

Hi Jason,

Possibly Stewart or Monty may have some specific details regarding your question, but I remembered this article in the Oct. 8 London Times that touched upon weekend activity in the wake of the double event. Warren did use the more amicable Times, on occasion, to communicate with the public.

From Casebook press reports:

'Fears were expressed among the police on Saturday that the night would not pass without some startling occurrence, and the most extraordinary precautions were taken in consequence. It must not be supposed that the precautions taken apply only to the East-end of London. It is fully understood that the murderer, finding his favourite haunts too hot for him, may transfer his operations to another district, and arrangements have been made accordingly. The parks are specially patrolled, and the police, even in the most outlying districts, are keenly alive to the necessities of the situation. Having efficiently provided for the safeguarding of other portions of the large area under his jurisdiction, Sir Charles Warren has sent every available man into the East-end district. These, together with a large body of City detectives, are now on duty, and will remain in the streets throughout the night. Most of the men were on duty all last night, and the work has been found very harassing. But every man has entered heartily into the work, and not a murmur has been heard from any of the officers. They are on their metal, and if zeal were the only thing needed to hunt down the murderer, his capture would be assured....'
        Best Wishes,
        Hunter

When evidence is not to be had, theories abound. Even the most plausible of them do not carry conviction- London Times Nov. 10.1888

Comment

I cannot recall anything specific re weekends and thank Mike and Chris for there posts.

I do recall that the committees had more patrols around the weekends but feel that's more down to availability than specifically due to Jack striking on weekends.

Monty
          Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

really interesting stuff, thanks so much

Comment

Working...
            X