Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Abberline's Last Days?

Hello Fellow Sympaticos!!!

Your Informative minds have been all so helpful in my pursuits!!!

I was wondering if your knowledge could help lead to yet
    another unanswered question that is on my mind....

We all know of Inspector Abberline's involvement in the Cleveland Street Scandal,
    but when exactly did he finish his work on "The Ripper" case,
    and what was the reason given for his end in involvement?

Thanks Again.

Not certain the exact date and if the case was ever officially closed. To my knowledge if unsolved the case remains open for a long time, and I beleive re-investigation happened as late as the 1960's?

However I do know that Abberline moved on to work for the famous detective agency called 'Pinkertons'.

Yours Pirate

Comment

Pirate Jack

Thank you for the "Pinkertons" information!!!

Also, the gracious ripperologist on this site have helped me surmise that the case simply ran cold in 1889 and the last paper file on the case was registered in 1892.

I'm not certain if Abberline had full involvement in the case up until 1892
      and would like to find someone with information on regards to his career placement towards that time period.

If anyone out there has such information, it would be greatly appreciated.

Yet again Pirate Jack Thanks for your input.

Comment

It is thought Abberline retired early to take advantage of extra pension fascilities.

Cassells journal 22 May 1892, reported Abberline as observing: "Theories! We were almost lost in theories;there were so many of them."

These two links may help, if you havnt already checked them out. Famously George Chapman was meant to be his favoured suspect 1902. (I’d be careful accepting this as Fact)

According to the A to Z, Abberline did three seasons in Monte Carlo as a Private Detective. Joined Pinkertons 1898. He retired 1904 Bournmouth moving 1911 to Holdenhurst Road, where he deid in 1929.

Fairly recently a photograph was descovered of Abberline I believe that may be worth tracking down.

Pirate

PS my pleasure
        Last edited by Jeff Leahy; 10-22-2008, 12:53 PM.

Comment

Pirate Jack

What are your personal feelings on Chapman as a suspect?...Feel free to reply via PM if you would like. However I would like to see what public response your views and the views of other might stir up!!!...
          I know there's a Suspect portion devoted to him personaly on this site, however it is rather minimal to say the least.

PS
          Can't wait to check the links you provided, & as always thanks again!!!

Comment

Abberline on Find a Grave,
            English Law Officer. He was the Scotland Yard inspector in charge of the investigation into the 1888 Jack the Ripper murders. He joined the London Metropolitan Police in 1863 and in 1887 moved to Scotland Yard, where he was promoted to First Class Inspector. After the brutal murder of prostitute Mary Ann Nichols in...

Abberline on Wikipedia,

Abberline's Blue Plaque,
            Regards Mike

Comment

My personal feeling are that anyone studying the JtR murders needs to pay serious attention to Chapman as a suspect. He was after all working in a hair dressers shop only yards away from the person I would consider the first victim Martha Tabram, when murderer. He then left the country for America for a period of time. (I don’t believe his exact movements are known) however the crimes stop and returns and soon starts to poison his wives.

Thus he is a known serial killer living in the heart of the district at the time of the Ripper murders. I’d say he was a serious suspect at least.

However my reason for dismissing him would be that they are rather different murders. Chapman was a Sociopath with little care for the pain he inflicted on his victims. He watched them die in slow agony. I have Jack down as a very different kind of mind set.

The conditions of 1888 seem to have given rise to a number of serial killers. Not only Jack, but also the Torso killer and Dr Cream.

So I have dismissed Chapman but believe that he is a credible suspect. Better Say than Tumbelty or Donston.

Pirate

PS. I dont know if Jonathon has done a podcast on Abberline or Chapman. But if you follow the links at bottom of Mikes post, the podcasts are the best source of interesting information. I'm following the double event at the moment and had no idea Kidney had said at the inquest he new the identity of JtR. I can recommend you check out his site Johnpaul..good luck

PS PS Morning Mike
              Last edited by Jeff Leahy; 10-22-2008, 01:50 PM.

Comment

Argh Jack!!

I suggest a good old read of R. Michael Gordon's book "The American Murders of Jack the Ripper".*

The book looks at Chapman's departure from the UK to the USA, where a string of murders seem to occur.

He lists;
                Carrie brown
                Hannah Robinson
                Elizabeth Senior
                Mary Anderson

as victims of Chapman!

*Book may cause slight drowsyness, do not read while operating heavy machinery, or walking the plank!
                Regards Mike

Comment

Yes I'm aware of this Mike. It was discussed before the great crash. But i dont think anyone has ever pin pointed Chapman's exact movements. Carrie Brown was murdered about April 1991..surely to soon to be included?

But I give you Chapman is Interesting.

Have you any other recommendations podcast wise for Johnpaul?

Your the man on podcasts

Pirate

Comment

Jack check your PM's my friend!!!

Comment

We have not tackled an Abberline show, but a show for the brave men of "H" Division would be a fine topic. I will get in touch with JM.

The wisest thing I can say, "I start at the begining and listen to them all" as they are all useful and a labour of love for all involved.
                      Regards Mike

Comment

Mike

Any devotion to the studies of this Victorian era enigma will be listened to with respect and appreciation.

In advance, I thank you for your time and contribution to these matters.

Comment

Yes I think it fair to say that the work done by Jonathon this year, and of course his wonderful team, is one of the best developments in the field for a long long time. As Mike says they are all worth a listen.

I have noted of late that they are getting longer, which is good, but i am having to break them in half as i listen in the bath and have started to turn into a prune

Happy listening Jonpaul.

Pirate

Comment

Working...
                          X