Disappearance of Joan Risch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disappearance of Joan Risch

This was featured on the front page of Wikipedia the other day. I was unaware of the case, despite once having lived in the area where it happened.

The disappearance of Joan Nattras Risch is a disturbing story, no matter which view of the case you believe. Either a troubled woman ...

Short version: housewife disappears from her home while her paper company executive husband is on a business trip. house is covered in blood, but police conclude it was not from a fatal wound. woman matching her description is observed by two witnesses walking along the side of a highway, apparently in a state of confusion

Months later, it is revealed that Joan Risch had checked out a large number of books from the local library about women who had faked their disappearance.

No body is ever found...

1996 news article that appears to be a major source for the Wikipedia page about this:

LINCOLN -- There are ghosts rustling in the hallowed woods off the old Battle Road here. The footsteps of British soldiers echo through time, winding their way toward the ambush at Bloody Curve, just around the bend on what is now Route 2A.

Note the police investigator assigned to this case said over 3 decades later that he has a theory...but doesn't care to share it, presumably because he does not have proof. A lesson for some on this forum?

Comment

Originally posted by Damaso Marte View Post
      1996 news article that appears to be a major source for the Wikipedia page about this:

LINCOLN -- There are ghosts rustling in the hallowed woods off the old Battle Road here. The footsteps of British soldiers echo through time, winding their way toward the ambush at Bloody Curve, just around the bend on what is now Route 2A.

Note the police investigator assigned to this case said over 3 decades later that he has a theory...but doesn't care to share it, presumably because he does not have proof. A lesson for some on this forum?
      Actually the detective said he had "theories" about the case (not one theory), so his reticence here is understandable - he doesn't know which theory to follow as the chief one (at least he does not mention which he thinks is his best theory).

Also about the books that she took out (twenty five of them). Some were about women who vanished, but others were about murders.

Interesting that when she was nine her home in New Jersey burned down and both of her parents died. The cause of this tragedy was apparently unknown.

It is an interesting puzzle.

Jeff

Comment

I have mentioned this case as possibly connected on the Boston Strangler thread I started over on Websleuths.com. If it was connected then it wasn't DeSalvo because he was in prison at the time.

Setting that aside, my own theory is that she was attacked by someone who was waiting inside her home and, not realizing how seriously she was hurt, she tried to clean up her blood. At some point due to loss of blood, she became delirious and wandered out and died somewhere and just has not been found.
        Last edited by sdreid; 10-25-2016, 05:41 AM.
        This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

Comment

Certainly an interesting and puzzling case. Library users of today have more privacy as far as their reading habits go, as most libraries no longer use the old signature checkout cards. As for Mrs Risch being "happy" as a suburban housewife, appearances can be deceiving. She had been a fairly self-sufficient working woman prior to her marriage, and talked of becoming a teacher in the future. Still, she was a very good mother, by all accounts, and apparently her marriage was not in trouble.
          Puzzling Cade.
          Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
          ---------------
          Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
          ---------------

Comment

Yes, there was a theory that she was a runaway but I can't see her leaving a small child alone who could have gotten out of the house and been exposed to things like being hit by a car.

Stan Reid

Comment

The people at the Strange Company blog in a link given by the OP suggested an abortion gone wrong, do you think there is anything to that?

Another possibility which comes to my mind (because my mother suffered one when I was very small) is a miscarriage.
              Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
              ---------------
              Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
              ---------------

Comment

Originally posted by Pcdunn View Post
                The people at the Strange Company blog in a link given by the OP suggested an abortion gone wrong, do you think there is anything to that?

Another possibility which comes to my mind (because my mother suffered one when I was very small) is a miscarriage.
                Yes, those have been mentioned on the Websleuths site. She had a busy schedule that day and I would think you'd have a clear calendar for an abortion plus would she do that with her 2 y/o there? Her husband would surely know she was pregnant even if he'd just noticed that she hadn't had a regular period and I haven't seen anywhere that he mentioned anything like that.

The phone was supposedly ripped from the wall so that doesn't make it look like a miscarriage to me. Anything is possible though.
                Last edited by sdreid; 10-26-2016, 03:46 AM.

Stan Reid

Comment

Working...
                X