If the 'Dear Boss' letter is a hoax...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Harry D View Post
    ...then how do we reconcile Jack's promise to "clip the ladys ears off" with Eddowes' missing earlobe? Was the missing earlobe just an incidental act as Jack mutilated her face? Although this might be at odds with the precision of the killer's handiwork. Was it possible this information about the missing earlobe was leaked in time for someone to send the letter?
    Who is the "Boss"?

Comment

Originally posted by GUT View Post
      Why would it upset theories, if it's a hoax, doesn't do much to any theory so far as I can see.
      I think there may be some theories that rely on who the writer was, whether it was the real killer or not. Can't remember which theories, but I've read some. As John said, those are probably poor theories, and we know there are an untold number of poor ones.

Comment

I agree with the member who believes the author of DEAR BOSS may have been following the crimes in the news. While the killer was still known as ,,Leather Apron,, and throughout Sep88, there are separate press article mentions of Ann Chapman,s body being ,,ripped,, open; this occuring in the weeks prior to receivi g DEAR BOSS.

If the police came to believe DEAR BOSS was the invention of a journalist, should a retraction have been expected? It seems like it was a treated as high profile evidence after the dual murders. Why would its treatment as authentic evidence have been allowed to continue in the media if the police knew better?
        Last edited by Robert St Devil; 09-14-2016, 11:19 AM.
        there,s nothing new, only the unexplored

Comment

Originally posted by Robert St Devil View Post
          I agree with the member who believes the author of DEAR BOSS may have been following the crimes in the news. While the killer was still known as ,,Leather Apron,, and throughout Sep88, there are separate press article mentions of Ann Chapman,s body being ,,ripped,, open; this occuring in the weeks prior to receivi g DEAR BOSS.

If the police came to believe DEAR BOSS was the invention of a journalist, should a retraction have been expected? It seems like it was a treated as high profile evidence after the dual murders. Why would its treatment as authentic evidence have been allowed to continue in the media if the police knew better?
          Perhaps they only knew better, after the event.
          G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Hola G U T

still...

wouldn,t the press have some obligation to post a clarification or retraction?

Or did...
            1. The fact that blame was laid on a reporter
            2. The phenomena of Jack the Ripper create a dilemma re: retractions
            3. The police never inform the press
            ...play a part?

Comment

Originally posted by Pierre View Post
              Who is the "Boss"?
              Dr Thomas Horrocks Openshaw.
              My name is Dave. You cannot reach me through Debs email account

Comment

Originally posted by Pierre View Post
                Who is the "Boss"?
                Bruce Springsteen innit?

Steadmund Brand
                "The truth is what is, and what should be is a fantasy. A terrible, terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago."- Lenny Bruce

Comment

Originally posted by Steadmund Brand View Post
                  Bruce Springsteen innit?

Steadmund Brand
                  I thought it was that bloke off "Who's the Boss?"
                  G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Hola G U T

still...

wouldn,t the press have some obligation to post a clarification or retraction?

Or did...
                    1. The fact that blame was laid on a reporter
                    2. The phenomena of Jack the Ripper create a dilemma re: retractions
                    3. The police never inform the press
                    ...play a part?
                    The press play a part in admitting one of their own was a hoaxer
                    G U T

Comment

Originally posted by GUT View Post
                      I thought it was that bloke off "Who's the Boss?"
                      Great minds think alike my friend.....when my brother saw my post he said..."no, Tony Danza" hahah so my Aussie twin and my real American brother share a brain ��

Steadmund Brand
                      "The truth is what is, and what should be is a fantasy. A terrible, terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago."- Lenny Bruce

Comment

Originally posted by Steadmund Brand View Post
                        Great minds think alike my friend.....when my brother saw my post he said..."no, Tony Danza" hahah so my Aussie twin and my real American brother share a brain ��

Steadmund Brand
                        Lol

Couldn't think of Tony's name to save my life.

Your brother must be a genius.
                        G U T

Comment

Originally posted by DJA View Post
                          Dr Thomas Horrocks Openshaw.

Gotta ask it, DJA.. how did the writer know the letter was going to be put on blast?

If Boss is being addressed to a person in the public [ie. Openshaw], how did the writer know that it would find its way from the CNA pile to front page?

If the writer had no knowledge ,the hoax, or ,the scare, would make it that far, then the lettrr must have been intended for someone at Central News.

That or... Central News was behind it.
                          Last edited by Robert St Devil; 09-15-2016, 08:12 PM.

Comment

Dear Boss could have been intended for various people.....CNA Editor,Abberline,etc,etc.

Like GSG,it was written in a neat schoolboy hand.

Reckon it was intended for Openshaw,Jack the Ripper's protege,much like Jack was Gull's.

Gotta put some Joe Ely on
                            Ciao!
                            My name is Dave. You cannot reach me through Debs email account

Comment

I,m leaning more towards it being addressed to someone at CNA. The writer must not have been with the police nor addressing them either because he refers to them in the letter. And, the writer instructs BOSS to hold the letter back before putting it out ,,on blast,, -meaning it wasn,t addressing the public.

Question becomes, who at CNA was Boss?
                              Last edited by Robert St Devil; 09-16-2016, 01:08 PM.

Comment

Question becomes, who at CNA was Boss?
                                The top editor?

Comment

Working...
                                X