Bury - the cellar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Past Form?

Does anybody know if this could be the same chap in 1882 Lancashire?
    Looks like there was a gang of them and only the top chap was convicted.

Pat
    Attached Files

Comment

Wow - very nice find indeed Pat...It's certainly nothing I've heard about in Bury's life, and I'm pretty sure Beadle doesn't mention it...

Be great if someone more knowlegeable can confirm or deny!

Thanks for posting it

All the best

Dave

Comment

I have to second Dave. Well done and thanks for posting it.

Comment

Marriage of William and Ellen Elliott

William Henry Bury married Ellen Elliott on 2nd April 1888 at the Parish Church, Bromley St Leonards.
          William states his father also a William Henry Bury was alive and a fishmonger?
          Didnt it say that he had a tragic childhood and that his father had a terrible accident and was ripped open? I suppose he could have lied though.....
          Williams profession was given as a Sawdust Contractor.

Pat

Comment

The Lancashire trial date (1882) looks to fall in that period between leaving Bissells (in Wolverhampton) under a cloud, and then reappearing at Mr Osbourne's in Lord Street...Beadle is vague on dates, but mentions that he "skedaddled" - did he skedaddle perchance to Lancashire, then make his way back to Wolverhampton when things got too hot for him there?

All the best

Dave

PS Another interesting post from Pat...you're really on form today!
            Last edited by Cogidubnus; 07-20-2013, 07:43 PM. Reason: PS added

Comment

Census

Thanks Guys,

Question.....
              Has he ever been found on a census?

Pat

Comment

Beadle says he found him in Wolverhampton in 1881 working as a Factor's Clerk.

In 1871 he'd still be at Stourbridge I assume as a Bluecoate School scholar - I don't know if he was tracked down there in the census though...

All the best

Dave

PS - he didn't make the 1891!
                Last edited by Cogidubnus; 07-20-2013, 08:18 PM. Reason: PS added

Comment

Mary Berrys medical notes

I just found Mary Berrys notes from Powick Asylum Worcestershire.
                  (It is Williams mum even though name spelt different)

If you go to a website called George Marshall Medical Museum.
                  Chose Medical Archive (Top Right)
                  Do a basic search of all, writing in box the word Melancholia.
                  She will come up on page 8 as Mary Berry .
                  Its definitely the right one and it has her medical notes....very sad actually.
                  I found one of mine here a while back....

Pat.....................

Comment

Blimey Pat,

When you're on a roll, then you're really on a roll...that's amazing...I'm going to have a look right now!

Every good wish

Dave

Comment

As you say, very sad - Previously undiagnosed Postpartum Depression (at least in part) do you think Pat?

All the best

Dave

Comment

Mary Berrys medical notes

Yes poor lady.
                        She had had melancholia for 11 months.
                        On top of that her husband was killed.
                        Sounds like she didnt eat and just faded away.
                        Did you manage to get to the other page in volume 2, mentioned Dave?

Pat

Comment

No, I tried but it didn't let me access that...but perhaps I was doing something wrong...if I was, by all means PM or email me with enlightenment... (and spare my blushes )

Cheers!

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
                            William Henry Bury married Ellen Elliott on 2nd April 1888 at the Parish Church, Bromley St Leonards.
                            William states his father also a William Henry Bury was alive and a fishmonger?
                            Didnt it say that he had a tragic childhood and that his father had a terrible accident and was ripped open? I suppose he could have lied though.....
                            Williams profession was given as a Sawdust Contractor.

Pat
                            Hi Paddy

Bury's father died horribly in a horse and cart accident when Bury was a wee boy as far as we know. He was a fishmonger though.

Where did you find Bury saying his father was alive?

Regards
                            John

Comment

Bury was recorded in the 3 Censuses carried out in 1861, 71 and 81 and on each occasion his name was recorded as William Henry Berry.

I also think that on one occasion his birthplace was noted as Stourport rather than Stourbridge. A rather common error in these parts even now.

Comment

Paddy,
                                Thanks for this interesting snippet on the attempted rape.

I wonder if there might be some details mentioning this incident, (local newspapers and what-not) do you happen to have more info on this. Where, when and who was the victim? or perhapes tell me where to look meself?

Comment

Working...
                                X