The Police Persecuted Watch Company

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Police Persecuted Watch Company

Here's a curiosity from the City of London CID records. It seems that Monro saw fit to issue a warning about the activities of a company known as "H. Williams & Co," based in Fleet Street. The company sought to turn the affair to its advantage by portraying itself as the aggrieved party, and issued this advertising handbill, which opens with a very politically incorrect description of Monro, and is adorned with a cartoon showing him steaming open a letter. Simon Wood kindly sent me a British Library catalogue entry for a copy of this handbill, which has a handwritten date of 14 October 1886.

Click image for larger version

Name:	PolicePersecuted2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	214.9 KB
ID:	670700

Name:	PolicePersecuted1.jpg
Size:	179.1 KB
ID:	670701

This excerpt from the Sheffield and Rotherham Independent of 14 August 1886 fills in some of the background of the affair, and reveals that the company in question was being run by two of the men who had been involved in the notorious Turf Fraud Scandal of 1877:

Name:	TheSheffield&RotherhamIndependent1886-08-14.jpg
Size:	141.1 KB
ID:	661930

Comment

Hi Chris.

What an interesting find!

The illustration is priceless. I have a feeling if this were published just a few weeks later they'd have been inspired to lend Monro an astrakhan-trimmed coat to go with his loverly plaid trousers.

Best regards,
      Archaic

Comment

Meiklejohn

Hello Chris. Nice work.

Mr. Meiklejohn is a person of interest as "John" of Rachkovski provenance.

Cheers.
        LC

Comment

Chris,

Fascinating. Thanks very much. But I'm not exactly sure whether the handbill resides with the City of London archives or the BL.

Comment

Originally posted by The Grave Maurice View Post
            Fascinating. Thanks very much. But I'm not exactly sure whether the handbill resides with the City of London archives or the BL.
            There is one copy among the City CID records at the LMA (in envelope CLA/048/AD/11/008) and another at the British Library (pressmark Evan.7156).

Comment

Working...
            X