Jeremy Beadle suspects???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi caz,
    I was trying say that I felt that Mr Beadle would have secretly enjoyed being linked to such a great hoax, and would'nt have taken any offence to it.

I feel you were saying he would have laughed in outrage and would have been secretly offended.

As a footnote, We must all agree that if the Diary is a fake, then whoever constructed it was in mind eye a genius.

love back.

Comment

Thanks for explaining, spyglass.

No, I don't think Jeremy would have laughed 'in outrage' or been secretly offended. But he might have given Warren the benefit of the doubt and assumed he was the one having a laugh. If he'd thought Warren was serious he'd have secretly considered him a fool, but was probably too much of a gentleman to say so.

I'm no gentleman, however.

Jeremy was a very bright man and could probably have constructed a hoax along these lines if he had had the inclination. But many people would not agree with your 'genius' comment. Some not so bright people have even convinced themselves that Mike Barrett could have composed and penned it over a wet weekend with three books (and clearly without the aid of a dictionary).

Love,

Caz
      X
      "Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious." Peter Ustinov

Comment

Hi Caz,
        Well...Genius in the term that unlike many hoaxes ( The Hitler Diarys come to mind ) this one has been kept going for over fifteen years now and still leaves questions.

I certainly would not bet any money on Barratt being the author either.

Comment

Originally posted by spyglass View Post
          Hi Caz,
          Well...Genius in the term that unlike many hoaxes ( The Hitler Diarys come to mind ) this one has been kept going for over fifteen years now and still leaves questions.

I certainly would not bet any money on Barratt being the author either.
          The Hitler Diaries suffered from being dull. You can forgive a good hoax for being entertaining if it is harmless and clever in its own way. You can decry a bad hoax for being hurtful and stupid (Yorkshire Ripper tapes). The Ripper diaries falls mostly into the first box, but the Hitler diary is just pointless and dull.

My two cents, sure others will disagree.
          There Will Be Trouble! http://www.amazon.co.uk/A-Little-Tro...s=T.+E.+Hodden

Comment

Hi TomTom,

I tend to agree with you, but that's because I personally have found the diary both harmless and entertaining. Some have let the diary into their lives and come to regret it very bitterly indeed. Others resent it so bitterly that they push it away for fear they will catch something. A few would dearly love to see it burn in hell along with its creator.

But at the end of the day it's just a scrapbook and if people want to enjoy it or beat themselves over the head with it, it's entirely their choice.

What we don't know is the reaction its author was going for. We can guess the evil intent behind the Hitler Diaries and Yorkshire Ripper hoaxes. But in the case of this one, who knows? The way to diary heaven or hell could have been paved with good intentions.

Love,

Caz
            X
            "Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious." Peter Ustinov

Comment

Look no further than my initials...

... is what Mr. Beadle said in his introduction to "Who Was Jack The Ripper?" concerning the identity of the Whitechapel fiend. He also said that he wasn't sure he wanted to know, as the hunt is more interesting than the capture.

Comment

I don't get this. Is the implication that Beadle suspected Joseph Barnett? Or John Barlas, J.H Batchelor, Joseph Bayley, J. Best, James Blenkinsop, James Brown, or some other J.B.?

Comment

Originally posted by The Grave Maurice View Post
                  I don't get this. Is the implication that Beadle suspected Joseph Barnett? Or John Barlas, J.H Batchelor, Joseph Bayley, J. Best, James Blenkinsop, James Brown, or some other J.B.?
                  Originally, Jeremy meant Joseph Barnett before later advocating James Maybrick.

Comment

Working...
                  X