Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Motive, Method and Madness: JtR was Law Enforcement Hypothesis - by jerryd 46 minutes ago.
Motive, Method and Madness: JtR was Law Enforcement Hypothesis - by Michael W Richards 2 hours ago.
Motive, Method and Madness: JtR was Law Enforcement Hypothesis - by Michael W Richards 3 hours ago.
Maybrick, James: And This Is Factual! - by DirectorDave 5 hours ago.
Motive, Method and Madness: JtR was Law Enforcement Hypothesis - by Busy Beaver 6 hours ago.
Motive, Method and Madness: JtR was Law Enforcement Hypothesis - by Herlock Sholmes 7 hours ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Motive, Method and Madness: JtR was Law Enforcement Hypothesis - (8 posts)
Maybrick, James: Diary Handwriting - (7 posts)
Maybrick, James: And This Is Factual! - (4 posts)
Rippercast: Questions for Michael Hawley - Jack the Ripper Suspect Dr. Francis Tumblety - (2 posts)
Maybrick, James: One Incontrovertible, Unequivocal, Undeniable Fact Which Refutes the Diary - (2 posts)
A6 Murders: A6 Rebooted - (1 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Discussions > Suspects > Hutchinson, George

Old 12-14-2017, 07:16 AM
Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Flynn View Post
Hard to believe.
I don't know. Maybe my ears are keen to it because I'm not British, but when I read contemporary trial proceedings or inquest reports in The Times or some other London paper, it seems like it was almost pulling teeth for the average British "lower class" (ahem) witness to say something bad about the "accused."

"But, my lady, did not your husband beat your child every night? Did not you fear he would murder it?"

"O, he had a terrible temper, sir, and sent us limping to the infirmary many a time, but no, sir, he wouldn't hurt a fly, and never did I fear it."

I come across it all the time.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 07:29 AM
Casebook Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjpalmer View Post
"But, my lady, did not your husband beat your child every night? Did not you fear he would murder it?"

"O, he had a terrible temper, sir, and sent us limping to the infirmary many a time, but no, sir, he wouldn't hurt a fly, and never did I fear it."

I come across it all the time.
I daresay, RJ, but here we have a shifty-looking "forriner" consorting with a street-walker in the heart of Ripper country and in the middle of the Ripper scare. Why did Hutchinson really take such an interest in this man, and pay so much detailed attention to him, if he had not sensed that something was out of the ordinary?

To me, it doesn't quite stack up.

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)
Old 12-14-2017, 07:40 AM
Premium Member
Commisioner

Quote:
Which doesn't quite square with his rather creepy description of Astrakhan Man - "he looked at me stern", "very surly looking", "Jewish/foreign appearance", "small parcel with a kind of strap around it", etc. This at the height of the Ripper scare, and Hutch thought this guy was nothing to worry about? Hard to believe.
I agree, Gareth. But to be fair, Hutch was meant to be speaking with hindsight and giving a description of a potential suspect for Kelly's murder. I'm sure he's not the only witness who didn't suspect anything bad was about to happen until after the event, when they thought back and 'remembered' - or imagined - sinister details they hadn't picked up on at the time. The basic story has a ring of truth about it in a way. He couldn't have suspected anything, or he wouldn't have simply walked away, indifferent to Kelly's fate. So I do think it's entirely possible he never saw who was in the room with Kelly, but assumed she was just 'entertaining', which would explain why it didn't occur to him that it might be the ripper until he heard about the murder, and then he thought it wise to conjure up a suitably sinister 'guest' on the inside while he was only ever on the outside.

Love,

Caz
X

Old 12-14-2017, 07:56 AM
Chief Inspector

Quote:
He claimed that he'd known Kelly for five years, which - if her biography has any grains of truth in it - is difficult to believe in itself, as she apparently had only moved to London 4 years previously. That aside, we can say with some confidence that she'd only arrived in Spitalfields within the last two years, prior to which she'd lived at Stepney and around the Ratcliff Highway. To my mind it's rather unlikely that Hutchinson's trajectory took him to those places at the same time as Kelly and that, at best, he was likely exaggerating the length of their acquaintance; at worst, he made it up in order to make his encounter with her, and the subsequent interest he took in her liaison with Astrakhan Man, seem more plausible.
Wasn't it Maurice Lewis who claimed to have known Kelly 5 years? According to Abberline's 12th Nov report, Hutchinson had known her for "about 3 years".
That said, most of your point stands.

Incidentally, Abberline also tells us the reason George gave for watching the pair;

"An important statement has been made by a man named George Hutchinson which I forward herewith. I have interrogated him this evening and I am of the opinion his statement is true. He informed me that he had occasionally given the deceased a few shillings, and that he had known her about 3 years. Also that he was surprised to see a man so well dressed in her company which caused him to watch them."

If Abberline had winkled a more convincing reason out of Hutchinson, I'm sure he'd have informed his superiors.
Old 12-14-2017, 08:03 AM
Commisioner

Quote:
Which doesn't quite square with his rather creepy description of Astrakhan Man - "he looked at me stern", "very surly looking", "Jewish/foreign appearance", "small parcel with a kind of strap around it", etc. This at the height of the Ripper scare, and Hutch thought this guy was nothing to worry about? Hard to believe.
he even added the red hankercheif of sailor man and a dastardly curled up mustache to boot!

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline
Old 12-14-2017, 08:12 AM
Commisioner

Quote:
I daresay, RJ, but here we have a shifty-looking "forriner" consorting with a street-walker in the heart of Ripper country and in the middle of the Ripper scare. Why did Hutchinson really take such an interest in this man, and pay so much detailed attention to him, if he had not sensed that something was out of the ordinary?

To me, it doesn't quite stack up.
because Aman didn't really exist and Hutch apparent interest in him has to justify how he got such a great description of him.

-Edgar Allan Poe

-Frederick G. Abberline
Old 12-14-2017, 08:14 AM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by caz View Post
I agree, Gareth. But to be fair, Hutch was meant to be speaking with hindsight and giving a description of a potential suspect for Kelly's murder. I'm sure he's not the only witness who didn't suspect anything bad was about to happen until after the event, when they thought back and 'remembered' - or imagined - sinister details they hadn't picked up on at the time. The basic story has a ring of truth about it in a way. He couldn't have suspected anything, or he wouldn't have simply walked away, indifferent to Kelly's fate. So I do think it's entirely possible he never saw who was in the room with Kelly, but assumed she was just 'entertaining', which would explain why it didn't occur to him that it might be the ripper until he heard about the murder, and then he thought it wise to conjure up a suitably sinister 'guest' on the inside while he was only ever on the outside.

Love,

Caz
X
hi Caz
the basic story does have a ring of truth to it, until Aman enters the scene!

-Edgar Allan Poe

-Frederick G. Abberline
Old 12-14-2017, 08:21 AM
Chief Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjpalmer View Post
I don't see it that way.

Here is what Hutchinson said:

"After I left the court I walked about all night, as the place where I usually sleep was closed."

But surely that doesn't mean to say he just now realizes (at 3 a.m.) that the Victoria W. M.'s Home was closed?

I don't see it. These were his usual digs; 'closed' means 'curfew,' and he would have known the curfew. Half-way from Romford he already knew he was 'screwed,' and this is confirmed when, reaching the East End, he hears the clock strike 2 a.m. Hence he loiters in Fashion & Dean & environs until 3 a.m. and then wanders around until daybreak, because, he states, "the place where I usually sleep was closed." (Almost an afterthought after explaining the entire night's movements). That's how I've always read it.
Me too. Hutchinson had just passed the Victoria Home when he met Kelly, so was in the perfect position to know then whether or not he could sleep there that night.

Incidentally, I always assumed he left Dorset Street around 3am because the weather took a turn for the worse - Mrs Cox went back to her room at that time, and said it was raining hard (although the two events aren't necessarily linked, it always seemed to me like a good reason to get off the streets).
But if there was shelter where he was, leaving it to walk the streets makes less sense.
Old 12-14-2017, 08:21 AM
Superintendent

Don't forget, J. Best and John Gardner also described a well-dressed individual with a similar appearance to Astrakhan Man seen with Stride on the night of her murder.
Old 12-14-2017, 08:34 AM
Chief Inspector

For what it's worth, Dew's memoirs mention the well-dressed East End criminal gang from The Blind Beggar....presumably they weren't afraid to walk the streets of Spitalfields at night.