Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Church Row

Hi everyone,

Could anyone be so kind as to point out where 'Church Row' is, please. I think it is near the junction of Baker's Row and Bucks Row but I have been unable to locate it.

Thanks.

Long story

Hello Lucky. Welcome to the boards.

Are you looking, perhaps, for Mrs. Long's residence? If so, there is still a bit of debate on that.

Cheers.
    LC

Comment

Hi Mr Lucky,

Welcome to Casebook.

Here's Church Street.

Click image for larger version

Name:	CHURCH STREET.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	663632

Source: 1888 Post Office Map.

Regards,

Simon
      Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Comment

Hi Lynn and Simon,

Thanks for the speedy replies.

Sorry, I could have been clearer, the reference is from Robert Paul, Lloyds Weekly News, 2 sept 1888 -
        'I saw one in Church-row, just at the top of Buck's-row'

I'm assuming he means the opposite end to the Brady street end.

Comment

Presumably you mean this one. Just of Bethnal Green Road and is called St Matthews Row today.

Click image for larger version

Name:	church row.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	190.7 KB
ID:	663633

Rob

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Lucky View Post
            Hi Lynn and Simon,

Thanks for the speedy replies.

Sorry, I could have been clearer, the reference is from Robert Paul, Lloyds Weekly News, 2 sept 1888 -
            'I saw one in Church-row, just at the top of Buck's-row'

I'm assuming he means the opposite end to the Brady street end.
            I think that is an error as there isn't a Church Row. Whites Row was the tail end of Bucks Row. The Eastern end of Hanbury Street use to be called Church Street, but I think Robert Paul was talking about PC Mizen who said he was in Hanbury Street so I would think that is what Paul meant.

Rob

Comment

Originally posted by Rob Clack View Post
              I think that is an error as there isn't a Church Row. Whites Row was the tail end of Bucks Row. The Eastern end of Hanbury Street use to be called Church Street, but I think Robert Paul was talking about PC Mizen who said he was in Hanbury Street so I would think that is what Paul meant.

Rob
              Hi Rob,
              Thanks for the help, That does explain why I couldn't find it on the O.S. map I looked at!

However, it has to noticed that Paul said 'At the top of Bucks row' as a qualifier, so it is possible 'Church row' was a local nickname and not recorded on contempary maps? As Paul lived and worked in the area, I'm surprised he could so easily mix up Bucks row and Hanbury Street .

I had previously, considered Paul may have been refering to 'Court Street'

Also, just out of curiosity, when did the Church street changed its name to Hanbury street?, wasn't part of Hanbury Street previously known as 'Brown's Lane' as well, was that at the same time?

Thanks again

Comment

Also, just out of curiosity, when did the Church street changed its name to Hanbury street?, wasn't part of Hanbury Street previously known as 'Brown's Lane' as well, was that at the same time?

Thanks again
                I think it was mid 1870s but can't remember the exact date. Hanbury Street was previously split into four names, Browns Lane, Montague Street, Preston Street and Church Street.

Rob

Comment

Originally posted by Rob Clack View Post
                  I think it was mid 1870s but can't remember the exact date. Hanbury Street was previously split into four names, Browns Lane, Montague Street, Preston Street and Church Street.

Rob
                  Thanks again Rob, That's very useful information as I had seen references to 'Montague Street' and had assumed that it was the same road as 'Old Montague Street'.

I have for some time now studied the finding of Mary Ann Nichols body as a narrative, almost independent from the JtR case as a whole, and I think I have discovered something quite curious about it, nothing earthshattering but something I feel is worth bringing to the attention of you serious students of the case. I have written, for want of a better word, an essay on the subject. A couple of friends of mine, who have an interest in the whitechapel mystery, have read it and feel it's sound. I'm not an academic and really i'm in over my head here, so any advise would be greatfully received, but I'm seriously thinking of sending it to 'Ripperologist' magazine.

Comment

interesting

Hello Lucky. Sounds interesting. Love to see your work.

Cheers.
                    LC

Comment

Originally posted by lynn cates View Post
                      Hello Lucky. Sounds interesting. Love to see your work.

Cheers.
                      LC
                      Hi Lynn

Thanks for the encouragement, I think I'm going to go over it again tonight, then I'll stick my neck on the block and contact Ripperologist tomorrow, if they reject it (they already have an article about Lechmere in the next issue!) you are welcome to still have a read of it if you feel inclined. I'll send you a copy somehow, I would like to hear someones opinion of it, even if it's from a 'where did it all go wrong' angle.

Thanks again to you all, for your replies

Comment

Thanks again Rob, That's very useful information as I had seen references to 'Montague Street' and had assumed that it was the same road as 'Old Montague Street'.

I have for some time now studied the finding of Mary Ann Nichols body as a narrative, almost independent from the JtR case as a whole, and I think I have discovered something quite curious about it, nothing earthshattering but something I feel is worth bringing to the attention of you serious students of the case. I have written, for want of a better word, an essay on the subject. A couple of friends of mine, who have an interest in the whitechapel mystery, have read it and feel it's sound. I'm not an academic and really i'm in over my head here, so any advise would be greatfully received, but I'm seriously thinking of sending it to 'Ripperologist' magazine.
                        Hello Mr Lucky

We would be very interested in considering your article. We try to cover all aspects of the Whitechapel murders and East End and Victorian history, so the topic of your article fulfills our remit. Send it to us when you are ready. Feel free to contact me by private message if you have any questions about submitting to us.

Best regards

Chris
                        Christopher T. George
                        Organizer, RipperCon #JacktheRipper-#True Crime Conference
                        just held in Baltimore, April 7-8, 2018.
                        For information about RipperCon, go to http://rippercon.com/
                        RipperCon 2018 talks can now be heard at http://www.casebook.org/podcast/

Comment

thanks

Hello Lucky. Thanks. Sounds good.

Cheers.
                          LC

Comment

So did you ever get your article published, Lucky?

- CFL

Comment

Working...
                            X