Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do Some People Really Believe the Earth Is Flat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
    They used to have a lot more members, but some have fallen off
    There used to be a "hollow earth" group too. John Symmes was one of the proponents of the belief there were inhabitable places under the crust of the planet, and that it was peopled. His book about this area (entitled, like the book, "Symmesonia", had some literary influence. It's entrance and exit spots were supposed to be the North and South Pole Edgar Allan Poe set the stage for it's appearance in the South Pole in his only, unfinished novel, "The Narrative of A. Gordon Pym", and it laid the foundation for the plot of Jules Verne's "A Journey to the Center of the Earth." Martin Gilbert has a chapter on this belief and Symmes (as well as the "flat earthers" and their egomaniac leader Rev. Wilbur Voliva) in his book "In the Name of Science" which Dover Publications used to print. It's a fun book to read - he also talks about the "Atlantis and Mu" theories, and a wide variety of other theories (Velakofsky and his "mad" comet theories, "Bridey Murphy", etc.).

Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by Mayerling View Post
      There used to be a "hollow earth" group too. John Symmes was one of the proponents of the belief there were inhabitable places under the crust of the planet, and that it was peopled
      A similar theory was championed in the latter half of the 20th Century by the eccentric Earl of Clancarty, who published a huge number of Flat/Hollow Earth, UFO, Atlantis and other "New-Agey" books under the name of Brinsley Le Poer Trench. I bought quite a few of them as a kid; completely bonkers, but a fun read for a 10 year-old nonetheless.
      Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

I used to visit the FES forum for kicks. I'm convinced most of the members on there are trolls but there's probably a few genuine crackpots within their ranks.

Comment

(apparently) well known rapper BoB is crowdfunding research to find proof that the earth is flat. I also like the BBC's spoiler alert here:

US rapper B.o.B. is crowd funding the launch of a satellite to see if the planet is disc-shaped.

Comment

Even in the Middle Ages people realised the earth was spherical. There's also the myth that Columbus thought the earth was flat; he didn't, however, he was concerned he might run out of food during his Atlantic voyage , due to a miscalculation of the size of the earth: https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...=.a6f4fe3dc6f9

Comment

Originally posted by Svensson View Post
              (apparently) well known rapper BoB is crowdfunding research to find proof that the earth is flat. I also like the BBC's spoiler alert here:

http://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-trending-41399164
              And I wonder how much will go into research and how much into pockets
              G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

There have been plenty of Youtube videos (such as this one) showing unedited captures by home-made rockets flying out to space and showing the round earth.

Comment

I guess when they see something like a ship or building coming over the horizon they think its actually rising out of the earth? lol
                  "Is all that we see or seem
                  but a dream within a dream?"

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
                  quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

Originally posted by YomRippur View Post
                    There have been plenty of Youtube videos (such as this one) showing unedited captures by home-made rockets flying out to space and showing the round earth.
                    The curvature in that video is an optical illusion from the camera lens, though. Works with the lens of the eye as well: When you are on top of a mountain and gaze out on the horizon, it appears curved - even at very low altitudes. This is just an optical effect of the lens; it is not the actual curvature of the earth you see.

Comment

Originally posted by Svensson View Post

http://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-trending-41399164
                      So, how does he think his satellite is going to orbit a flat earth?
                      - Ginger

Comment

Originally posted by John G View Post
                        Even in the Middle Ages people realised the earth was spherical.
                        Eratosthenes measured the circumference of the earth, it's orbital tilt, and calculated the distance to the sun about 2200 years ago.
                        - Ginger

Comment

Originally posted by YomRippur View Post
                          Wow, must have cost at least $200,000, lol

Comment

Originally posted by Ginger View Post
                            Eratosthenes measured the circumference of the earth, it's orbital tilt, and calculated the distance to the sun about 2200 years ago.
                            Just read the Wiki entry for this guy. He measured the earth's circumference (pretty accurately) using a stick and a dried up well

Who needs satellites and super-computers?

Or $200k....

Comment

Originally posted by Ginger View Post
                              yup. he was a very smart dude.
                              "Is all that we see or seem
                              but a dream within a dream?"

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
                              quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

Okay, I have found definitive proof that the Earth is not flat. This is because the earth is actually hollow:

Check out Admiral Byrd's diaryhttp://www.bibliotecapleyades.net/tierra_hueca/esp_tierra_hueca_2d.htm

Since a two dimensional object (i.e. a flat object), can not be hollow (a definite three-dimensional requirement), this prooves that the earth is not flat.

#suckitflatearthers

Comment

Working...
                                X