No announcement yet.

13 Miller's Court AFTER 1888.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I know it is ghoulish but I would give almost anything to actually be able to go into 13 Miller's Court, walk down Dorset Street, Thrawl Street, Flower and Dean Street, go into the backyard of 29 Hanbury Street - if they had not (alas) been demolished. I wonder if the passageway through the Woods Buildings will ever be reopened.

Comment

Originally posted by George Hutchinson View Post

Then there is the person interviewed by Dan Farson for the TV programme we'll never find who said their mother lived in the room afterwards.
      What TV programme is this? Its been ages since I read about Dan Farson's work, but is this to do with his discovery of copies of Macnaughton's [?] notes? I presume the TV show is lost, or destroyed?
      --
      http://www.paullee.com/

Comment

DAN FARSON'S GUIDE TO THE ENGLISH.

It's the current Ripper Holy Grail as far as film is concerned. Highly unlikely we'll ever uncover it.

PHILIP
        Tour guides do it loudly in front of a crowd.

Comment

Originally posted by Veritas View Post
          I know it is ghoulish but I would give almost anything to actually be able to go into 13 Miller's Court, walk down Dorset Street, Thrawl Street, Flower and Dean Street, go into the backyard of 29 Hanbury Street - if they had not (alas) been demolished. I wonder if the passageway through the Woods Buildings will ever be reopened.
          Almost certainly not; up to its last day it was a haven for tramps, whores and lurkers. The buildings are in use, but the alley is completely overgrown with weeds. From the council's point of view, re-opening would accomplish nothing. There's easy access to the main road nearby, and the alley abuts on the tube line, which is currently undergoing major works.

Comment

An earlier post posed this question:
            How soon after the murder would he (McCarthy) have been allowed to clean it all up to re-rent it out? I would imagine that he'd have been keen to do it pretty sharpish.

From an article I found today (if it is reliable!) I can tell you the exact day when the room was relet after Kelly's death. The room stayed empty much longer than I would have expected, namely until Saturday 13 July 1889.
            The passage in question reads as follows:-

Birmingham Daily Post
            18 July 1889

It is a somewhat curious coincidence that the room in the court in Dorset Street where Mary Jane Kelly was murdered and mutilated on 9th November last, remained empty until Saturday last when it was let to a new tenant, whom the news of the last crime has quite unnerved.

From the date of the article, the "last crime" mentioned refers to the death of Alice McKenzie in Castle Alley.

Comment

Excellent find Chris, and one which (if true) seemingly gives the lie to stories of blood still adorning the walls some time after the murder. If McCarthy was having that much trouble letting the room, he'd have cleaned it up.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert View Post
                Excellent find Chris, and one which (if true) seemingly gives the lie to stories of blood still adorning the walls some time after the murder. If McCarthy was having that much trouble letting the room, he'd have cleaned it up.
                Even if he had, Robert, I suggested earlier that coughing up a lump-sum of 4s 6d for a room every week might have been a tall order for many prospective tenants.
                Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Scott View Post
                  Hi Christine
                  A panelled door can certainly be seen in the partition wall in the well known Kelly photograph
                  I have read somewhere - and I can't for the life of me remember where - that Kelly's room was originally the back kitchen of 26 Dorset Street
                  Chris

The room was originally the back parlour of the house that had been cut off from the rest of the house by a false partition.
                  This can be found in 'The Complete Jack the Ripper' revised edition 2004 - Donald Rumbelow,page 85.

Comment

Wasn't there another murder in the room above Kelly's just a few years later?

A bizarre coincidence?

Pirate

Comment

Originally posted by Pirate Jack View Post
                      Wasn't there another murder in the room above Kelly's just a few years later?

Yes, just 10 years later. Here's the trial transcript

And the Kitty Ronan murder happened in the upper room of the house facing the windows of 13 Millers Court.
                      allisvanityandvexationofspirit

Comment

Forgive me if its already been mentioned, but isnt it spooky that just a fe years after the murder, another couple called Kelly were living at no13?
                        A common surname I know.Maybe coincidence...

Comment

I tried to find Dorset Street/Miller's Court, I found every single other Ripper-related streets, but this. I google-mapped it, but there was only one result, W1, that crosses Baker Street. I went there, but obviously it is not what I was looking for. I suppose it has been re-named. I also found 'Liz Stride Street' (now it's Henrique St., supposedly that was Berner St). So, this is almost the only place that I miss from my 'collection'. (The other one is Bow Street, I know where it is, but I couldn't manage to get there yet).

Does anybody know the current name of Dorset Street (supposedly E1 and not W1) and / or Miller's Court? Sorry, if it is already posted somewhere, but there are so many posts and threads that I couldn't read them all). Thank you for your help in advance.

Comment

I compared the maps I found here in other threads with google-map, and it seems it is no longer a street. :-( Is that correct?

Comment

Originally posted by chris14 View Post
                              I tried to find Dorset Street/Miller's Court, I found every single other Ripper-related streets, but this. I google-mapped it, but there was only one result, W1, that crosses Baker Street. I went there, but obviously it is not what I was looking for. I suppose it has been re-named. I also found 'Liz Stride Street' (now it's Henrique St., supposedly that was Berner St). So, this is almost the only place that I miss from my 'collection'. (The other one is Bow Street, I know where it is, but I couldn't manage to get there yet).

Does anybody know the current name of Dorset Street (supposedly E1 and not W1) and / or Miller's Court? Sorry, if it is already posted somewhere, but there are so many posts and threads that I couldn't read them all). Thank you for your help in advance.
                              Its a private road now, not a public one, so it doesn't have a name. It is opposite Christ Church on Commerical Street, it has a barrier blocking it and has a multi-storey car park beside it. Check it out on google earth. Afraid Miller's Court was wiped out a long time ago.

Comment

Working...
                              X