Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
A6 Murders: A6 Rebooted - by moste 3 minutes ago.
A6 Murders: A6 Rebooted - by NickB 40 minutes ago.
Scene of the Crimes: Miller's Court Demolition Photo - by Joshua Rogan 1 hour and 3 minutes ago.
Scene of the Crimes: Miller's Court Demolition Photo - by Joshua Rogan 1 hour and 9 minutes ago.
Mary Jane Kelly: ORIGINAL doors in Miller's court - by Joshua Rogan 2 hours ago.
A6 Murders: A6 Rebooted - by moste 2 hours ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Maybrick, James: Who was the author of the 'Maybrick' diary? Some options. - (23 posts)
Maybrick, James: Acquiring A Victorian Diary - (19 posts)
A6 Murders: A6 Rebooted - (16 posts)
Mary Jane Kelly: ORIGINAL doors in Miller's court - (9 posts)
General Discussion: Discharged on recognizances? - (8 posts)
Maybrick, James: One Incontrovertible, Unequivocal, Undeniable Fact Which Refutes the Diary - (4 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Discussions > Suspects > Maybrick, James

Old Today, 02:25 PM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by John G View Post
Actually Abby, as far as I'm aware he was responsible for a handful of short magazine articles
Why do you keep calling them short articles?

Short compared to what?
Old Today, 02:28 PM
Commisioner

Quote:
whilst Mike took on the role of "househusband" during a lengthy period of unemployment, had to "tidy up."
I've written and published two books. My parents and sister very kindly helped me with the proof reading and could be said to have "tidied up" both of them. So what? Does it make me incapable of writing them?
Old Today, 03:01 PM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Orsam View Post
John, you've referred on more than one occasion to Mike's inability to carry out research but have you actually read his 17 page research note on Maybrick and the Ripper murders? It's a perfectly competent note and proves that he was capable of competent historical research.
David, can I ask, was the research note hand or type written? If the latter is correct, there is clearly no proof that Mike was responsible for the note. Conversely, if the latter is true perhaps you would be kind enough to refer me to the handwriting expert who confirmed that they were in Mike's own hand.

Look, I know you're probably going to say I'm being pedantic, but surely we're both agreed that any claim made by Mike should be treated with the utmost suspicion.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:06 PM
Commisioner

Quote:
David, can I ask, was the research note hand or type written? If the latter is correct, there is clearly no proof that Mike was responsible for the note. Conversely, if the latter is true perhaps you would be kind enough to refer me to the handwriting expert who confirmed that they were in Mike's own hand.

Look, I know you're probably going to say I'm being pedantic, but surely we're both agreed that any claim made by Mike should be treated with the utmost suspicion.
It was typed on Mike's word processor but if he wasn't responsible from the note where did he get it from? And who did the research into Maybrick and the Jack the Ripper murders?
Old Today, 03:11 PM
Commisioner

Quote:
Why do you keep calling them short articles?

Short compared to what?
War and Peace. Divina Commedia.

Okay, I'm obviously aware that a teenage magazine article can't be reasonably compared to a novel of the Napoleonic Wars, or an epic poem from the fourteenth century, but honestly David, some of your posts are longer than Mike's articles, and that's not a criticism of you by the way. Anyway, if they were extensively edited by Anne, the whole point becomes largely academic.
Old Today, 03:13 PM
Commisioner

Quote:
I've written and published two books. My parents and sister very kindly helped me with the proof reading and could be said to have "tidied up" both of them. So what? Does it make me incapable of writing them?
Of course it doesn't. But then you're someone with about a million times more credibility than Mike Barrett.
Old Today, 03:17 PM
Commisioner

Quote:
It was typed on Mike's word processor but if he wasn't responsible from the note where did he get it from? And who did the research into Maybrick and the Jack the Ripper murders?
Well one possibility is that it was someone close to Mike, someone with literacy skills, someone who had easy access to his word processor. Just a thought.
Old Today, 03:23 PM
Commisioner

Quote:
War and Peace. Divina Commedia.

Okay, I'm obviously aware that a teenage magazine article can't be reasonably compared to a novel of the Napoleonic Wars, or an epic poem from the fourteenth century, but honestly David, some of your posts are longer than Mike's articles, and that's not a criticism of you by the way. Anyway, if they were extensively edited by Anne, the whole point becomes largely academic.
But if that's a serious answer John it's ridiculous. You can't compare a magazine article to War and Peace. He wrote magazine articles. Neither short nor long.

And I have no idea what "whole point" you think becomes academic if his articles were edited by Anne. Lots of journalists have their articles edited. As do authors.

The only point about Anne's involvement is that if she helped him with the articles she was capable of helping him with the diary. I'm not sure whether you agree with that or not but I think you do.
Old Today, 03:26 PM
Commisioner

Quote:
Well one possibility is that it was someone close to Mike, someone with literacy skills, someone who had easy access to his word processor. Just a thought.
Who had easy access to his word processor though?

And it's got nothing to do with literary skills because Anne has said that she tidied up his note.

It's all about research skills. Someone had to physically do the research for that note to be written. All the evidence is that it was Mike Barrett who did this.