Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"A Prayer for the Dying" - Mickey Rourke pays for Mary Kelly's headstone!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "A Prayer for the Dying" - Mickey Rourke pays for Mary Kelly's headstone!

This is a strange and convoluted tale.
    It is well known that John Morrison was the first to raise a gravestone to mark the resting place of Mary Jane Kelly in Leytonstone Cemetery in the 1980s.
    However I recently read an interview with Alan Moore, author of the graphic novel "From Hell" which casts a rather strange light on the funding of this.
    According to Moore, the 1987 film "A Prayer for the Dying" starring Mickey Rourke was filmed in part in Leytonstone Cemetery. Moore says in the interview that the funding for the first gravestone was given to John Morrison by Mickey Rourke. How they came to know each other and how the offer was made - if indeed the story is true - is not made clear.
    Alan Moore's words as reported wre:-
    "For example, a guy called John Morrison become convinced that the murders were the work of an escaped lunatic called Jimmy Kelly. With some money that I think he got from Mickey Rourke, who had just filmed A Prayer for the Dying at the Leytonstone Cemetery, he had a gravestone put up for Mary Kelly’s previously unmarked gravesite, referring to her as the ‘prima donna of Spitalfields’, which is odd phraseology. It was later taken down and I heard from Iain Sinclair that Morrison now keeps the fragments of the stone cross under his bed."

An odd story - wonder if it's true?
    Attached Files

Hi all,

This story wouldnt suprise me at all because it has been reported, on several occasions, that Rourke has been 'excessively' charitable when it comes to promoting the romantic Irish cause.

I believe that it was claimed that most of the money he earned from making 'A Prayer for the Dying' went directly to IRA as a token of 'supporting the cause'.

I also believe that the said claims made the newspapers in Northern Ireland back in the day, and Rourke in turn recieved death threats from the loyalist paramilitaries there. Any whoo

Nicky
    ---------------------------------------------------
    "We serial killers are your sons, we are your husbands, we are everywhere. And there will be more of your children dead tomorrow."
    - Ted Bundy

Comment

Oh boy. We are heading straight into Fenian Theory now!

Comment

Nice if true

However, using money obtained from Mickey Rourke is not the same as Mickey Rourke donating it specifically

Comment

Hello Nicole,

But I'll bet that those responsible for promoting the 'romantic' Irish cause (here in the U.S) were less than impressed by Mr. Rourke's choice of movie roles. :-)

Comment

Working...
          X