No announcement yet.

MJK Hair colour

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3415 Mary Kelly's in the 1881 census. Just a tiny handful have been researched.

Good Luck

Miss Marple

Comment

Originally posted by miss marple View Post
      3415 Mary Kelly's in the 1881 census. Just a tiny handful have been researched.

Good Luck

Miss Marple
      Not all in Whitechapel, though.

For all budding genealogists out there, don't panic if you find thousands of people with the same name as your ancestor. Narrow down by place, occupation, age (often not totally reliable) and of course other members of the family or known associates. That'll reduce the list considerably, and what you are left with could well be the person you are looking for.

Miss Marple,

I have been looking for MJK myself for a number of years. I have followed dozens of leads that turned out to be dead ends (more often living ends, post 1888). This one at least starts promisingly and is worth a mention.

MrB
      Last edited by MrBarnett; 08-23-2014, 05:40 AM.

Comment

Of the 3415 Mary Kellys (I didn't realise there were that many), the majority would have been in South London or the East End, because it was a common name from Irish Working Class women who had migrated to England or were from families who migrated. There would have been a few hundred in Whitechapel in 1888 which makes for quite a few prostitutes named Mary Kelly, and more prostitutes who used the name as an alias.

Comment

MrBARNETT,

I too have been researching Mary Kellys for years. I found the genealogy for the Whitechapel born prostitute ages ago. Its been on two threads so far . 'Was Mary a local girl' is one.

Regards Miss Marple

Comment

Working...
          X