Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by richardh View Post
    Hi Stu
    Yes I have been working on improvements. In fact I actually sort of began again as I wasn't at all happy with aspects of the positioning of, not only MJK, but of the camera angle I was basing everything off. My first concern was the bed (base) and the headboard being at odds with each other. Initially I was of the opinion that the headboard couldn't have been attached to the bed given that odd angle it seems to be set at. I couldn't get the bed-base and the headboard to marry-up using the focal length /lens and image sizes as my starting point.

It turned out that I had my setup wrong. I had to work hard to arrive at the correct (or as near as damn-it) focal length and lens size that produced the original photo. Once I had that right, I could then position the camera correctly and I finally succeeded in getting the bed and headboard to actually align properly. The Bed and headboard are really the most important aspects of the scene as they are the basis for everything else in the room. I've had to faff with lots of other bits of the model but It's looking good and in my mind much more accurate.

I'll be showing it soon but in the mean time I have been working on something to do the external photo of No.13 (would that be MJK1?). It's taken me a bit of time and involves maths (not my strong point). I'm hoping it might help answer a few long-standing questions that have been asked about that particular photo.

G'day Richard

The focal length really worries me, because as you obviously know, any error in that regard will throw all the perspectives out, can you give me any insight into how you calculated it and what plate size did you use when working it out [or did you do as I would and not worry about the actual plate size and simply calculate it to say a 5X4?].

If I can assist with the maths re the outside photo give me a yell as once upon a time it was my strong suite however I admit it is pretty rusty know.
    G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Michael,
      Are you maintaining that Bond, in his PM, was inferring that the arm was partially severed/cut away from the body by using the term abducted? if you are then I can assure you this is a wrong assumption on your part. 100% Bond was describing only the position of the arm from the body. He was not inferring or implying anything. He was using a well used and common medical term to describe position so that other medico-legal professionals are able to discern from his report how Mary's body was positioned accurately. Please trust me on this one.

Originally posted by Michael W Richards View Post
      I believe that the reference in this case Richard is that the limb was " drawn away from the midline of the body or an adjacent part or limb", meaning that the arm was not aligned in a conventional manner with the rest of the body and it "rested" on the mattress adjacent to the body. The reference to sinew attachments or some physiological material connection that still existed to the body itself was I believe a press quote, the specifics of which I don't recall at this typing, but the inference was clearly that the right arm had been partially severed from the body.

I referred to Bond as a formal nod on that point, not as the source of the specific quote.

Cheers
      JtRmap.com<< JtR Interactive Map
      JtRmap FORM << Use this form to make suggestions for map annotations
      ---------------------------------------------------
      JtR3d.com << JtR 3D & #VR Website

Comment

Originally posted by GUT View Post
        G'day Richard

The focal length really worries me, because as you obviously know, any error in that regard will throw all the perspectives out, can you give me any insight into how you calculated it and what plate size did you use when working it out [or did you do as I would and not worry about the actual plate size and simply calculate it to say a 5X4?].

If I can assist with the maths re the outside photo give me a yell as once upon a time it was my strong suite however I admit it is pretty rusty know.
        Yes GUT, I have had to use trial and error to arrive at what I think is the best combination. 50mm lens and quarter plate image dimensions (6.5 x 4.25). This seems to fit well and the bits that were 'all to c0ck' are now falling into the correct place.

Originally posted by Stu
        May I ask whether the camera ended up inside the room, or do we have to wait and see?
        Stu, the camera (using the settings and dimensions above) still suggests its position to be inside the room by the big window. BUT it is very close to the sill and if they DID take the whole window out (or just slid it open for that matter) then the photographer could have positioned it actually on the sill and got the shot. The camera would be petty hard up against the wall/window in any case I would think.

As for naming convention of the photos. I do get confused and call them different names to be truthful. I tend to name them in the order you might think they were taken. MJK1 would be the external shot of No.13, MJK2 would be the full length 'discovery' photo and MJK3 would be the partition to door photo.

Comment

As I mentioned previously, I see her right hand resting on the far edge of the mattress, whereas you appear to have her right hand elevated for some reason.

I marked up this photo to show a red line where I think the far side of the bed was, and also where the top corner is, where the red line turns.

The blue line represents a pillow or bolster, beneath her head.
          In your 3-dim. recreation you appear to have the right side of her bed running up the side of her head - I think it is a bolster.

At least, that may account for a scaling problem?
          Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Yep, there are problems with that version. The next one will be more accurate.
            thanks

Comment

Thanks for all the work you're putting into this Richard.
              G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

G'day Richard

Just wondering, and probably off thread, but any thoughts on wet or dry plate. I seem to remember that dry plate was only really introduced in the early 80's.

If it was wet plate, they needed to be developed pretty much immediately so I guess it was a bit like Polaroid in that you knew what you had before you left. But imagine having to effectively carry your darkroom with you.
                G U T

Comment

Maybe that's why they had the developer/fix wash tray setup below the small window in anticipation!

Originally posted by GUT View Post
                  G'day Richard

Just wondering, and probably off thread, but any thoughts on wet or dry plate. I seem to remember that dry plate was only really introduced in the early 80's.

If it was wet plate, they needed to be developed pretty much immediately so I guess it was a bit like Polaroid in that you knew what you had before you left. But imagine having to effectively carry your darkroom with you.

Comment

Maybe that's why they had the developer/fix wash tray setup below the small window in anticipation!
                    I actually wasn't aware that they did thanks,.
                    G U T

Comment

• Originally posted by richardh View Post

AND

What IS this?

It's her right Femur, Richard.
                      Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Working...
                      X