Walking Tours

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Walking Tours

I have ummed and ahhed about posting this thread but ive decided i will do.Last month i was in London for a few days,so thought i would do a Ripper walk on the Friday night.I did one back in 1988 with Martin Fido,which was absolutely brilliant.

So i joined a Goldentours.com, and went on a walk with this guy Phil.Pleasant enough man but the mistakes he made were evident to anyone who knows even anything about JTR.

Annie Chapmans wedding picture was shown and the guide said it was her brother.

We were told Liz Stride was the victim in Mitre Square(the only site we visited).Liz was also said to be living with a stockbroker husband in Spitalfields,and as we know this is far from the case.

We had the Dear Boss letter read to us,but he said this was sent to George Lusk and not the Central News Agency.

When it came to suspects we were told of John Pizer,Aaron Kosminski and a possible unnamed medical student who had gone insane.No mention of Macnaghten memo,or of Druitt and Ostrog.Or in fact any other suspects.

None of the police officials were mentioned by name,though it was noted there was a bit of rivalry between the city police and the Met.

Apparently Mary Kellys door wasnt broken in until late afternoon the day she was found.No mention of the missing key either and apparently (an unnamed) boyfriend(i presume Barnett) was living with her still.

I could go on,there was more.

His favourite suspect was believe it or not...........John Pizer!!!!!

Sorry to say that though Phil was a pleasant man to me his tour was a joke and definetley a waste of £10
    Last edited by ianincleveland; 11-15-2016, 10:11 AM.

Hi Ian

These folks are very good :

Read about how we provide the best Jack the Ripper walks in London. Let us give you a detailed account about all that awaits you.

Comment

I quite enjoyed a tour by Donald Rumbelow a couple of years ago.

Join us on the original Jack the Ripper walking tour in London. Discover Ripper's slashing grounds with London's best guides.

No shortage of tours, at least two other large groups were also roaming the streets at the same time.

Comment

Originally posted by ianincleveland View Post
        I have ummed and ahhed about posting this thread but ive decided i will do.Last month i was in London for a few days,so thought i would do a Ripper walk on the Friday night.I did one back in 1988 with Martin Fido,which was absolutely brilliant.

So i joined a Goldentours.com, and went on a walk with this guy Phil.Pleasant enough man but the mistakes he made were evident to anyone who knows even anything about JTR.

Annie Chapmans wedding picture was shown and the guide said it was her brother.

We were told Liz Stride was the victim in Mitre Square(the only site we visited).Liz was also said to be living with a stockbroker husband in Spitalfields,and as we know this is far from the case.

We had the Dear Boss letter read to us,but he said this was sent to George Lusk and not the Central News Agency.

When it came to suspects we were told of John Pizer,Aaron Kosminski and a possible unnamed medical student who had gone insane.No mention of Macnaghten memo,or of Druitt and Ostrog.Or in fact any other suspects.

None of the police officials were mentioned by name,though it was noted there was a bit of rivalry between the city police and the Met.

Apparently Mary Kellys door wasnt broken in until late afternoon the day she was found.No mention of the missing key either and apparently (an unnamed) boyfriend(i presume Barnett) was living with her still.

I could go on,there was more.

His favourite suspect was believe it or not...........John Pizer!!!!!

Sorry to say that though Phil was a pleasant man to me his tour was a joke and definetley a waste of £10
        Just to make it clear to this person. I am not the Phil referred to here..mainly because I don't live in England. Just incase there is anybody wondering.

Phil Carter
        Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Justice for the 96 = achieved
        Accountability? ....

Comment

Thanks Phil.
          Was just about to not order a walk with you
          My name is Dave. You cannot reach me through Debs email account

Comment

Originally posted by DJA View Post
            Thanks Phil.
            Was just about to not order a walk with you
            Hello DJA,

AT MY age .walking around for two hours would leave me knackered 😊

Phil
            Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Justice for the 96 = achieved
            Accountability? ....

Comment

Originally posted by Phil Carter View Post
              Hello DJA,

AT MY age .walking around for two hours would leave me knackered 😊

Phil
              A lot less than that for me like near on two hours less.
              G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert View Post
                Have to agree,

Great guides, who actually know the case inside out.

Steve

Comment

Just curious, does anybody here know when the first organised Ripper tours took place?

Comment

Originally posted by StevenOwl View Post
                    Just curious, does anybody here know when the first organised Ripper tours took place?
                    I have a hazy recollection of reading that it was Dr Brown in about 1906.

Comment

Blimey, that long ago. I've always imagined the odd location being shown to visitors for a fee (the backyard of Hanbury Street maybe) right from the time of the killings, but I'm surprised tours have been going that long.

Comment

There was some kind of tour as early as 1889, given by Inspector Moore - presumably for free, though there may have been a pint in it for him :

Comment

that reminds me, the opening of the 1st episode of Ripper Street season 1 was people on a "Ripper walking tour" and supposedly that was based on fact (or so I remember reading at the time).. now I must re-watch the first several series.. damnit haha

Steadmund Brand
                          "The truth is what is, and what should be is a fantasy. A terrible, terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago."- Lenny Bruce

Comment

Working...
                          X