Lack of Threads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Columbo View Post
    Thank you sir. I will have to look at the Echo report with new eyes.

Columbo
    I wouldn't be so harsh on The Echo:

The Echo:
    Police-constable George Myzen, 55 H, said that on Friday morning, at twenty minutes past four, he was at the corner of Hanbury-street, Baker's-row, when a man, who looked like a carman, said, "You are wanted in Buck's-row." Witness now knew the man to be named Cross, and he was a carman. Witness asked him what was the matter, and Cross replied, "A policeman wants you; there is a woman lying there." Witness went there, and saw Constable Neil, who sent him to the station for the ambulance.
    The Coroner - Was there anyone else there then? - No one at all, Sir. There was blood running from the throat towards the gutter.
    By the Coroner - There was another man in company of Cross when the latter spoke to witness. The other man, who went down Hanbury-street, appeared to be working with Cross.
    By the Jury - Witness went to the spot directly Cross told him, and did not stop to knock any one up.

The Morning Advertiser:
    Police constable George Maizen (sic), 55 H, said - On Friday morning last, at 20 minutes past four, I was at the end of Hanbury street, Baker's row, when someone who was passing said, "You're wanted down there" (pointing to Buck's row). The man appeared to be a carman. (The man, whose name is George Cross, was brought in and witness identified him as the man who spoke to him on the morning in question). I went up Buck's row and saw a policeman shining his light on the pavement. He said, "Go for an ambulance," and I at once went to the station and returned with it. I assisted to remove the body. The blood appeared fresh, and was still running from the neck of the woman.
    The Coroner - There was another man in company with Cross?
    The Witness - Yes. I think he was also a carman.

The Echo contains valuable info on the exchanges between the Coroner and the Jury, far more than TMA, but it compares very favourably with what TMA reported. But also, as Dusty has already pointed out in previous posts, The Echo also confuses the issue with it's apparently incorrect placement of the words "There was blood running from the throat towards the gutter" (when you compare it with the rest of the newspapers).

Comment

• Originally posted by Billiou View Post
      I wouldn't be so harsh on The Echo:

The Echo:
      Police-constable George Myzen, 55 H, said that on Friday morning, at twenty minutes past four, he was at the corner of Hanbury-street, Baker's-row, when a man, who looked like a carman, said, "You are wanted in Buck's-row." Witness now knew the man to be named Cross, and he was a carman. Witness asked him what was the matter, and Cross replied, "A policeman wants you; there is a woman lying there." Witness went there, and saw Constable Neil, who sent him to the station for the ambulance.
      The Coroner - Was there anyone else there then? - No one at all, Sir. There was blood running from the throat towards the gutter.
      By the Coroner - There was another man in company of Cross when the latter spoke to witness. The other man, who went down Hanbury-street, appeared to be working with Cross.
      By the Jury - Witness went to the spot directly Cross told him, and did not stop to knock any one up.

The Morning Advertiser:
      Police constable George Maizen (sic), 55 H, said - On Friday morning last, at 20 minutes past four, I was at the end of Hanbury street, Baker's row, when someone who was passing said, "You're wanted down there" (pointing to Buck's row). The man appeared to be a carman. (The man, whose name is George Cross, was brought in and witness identified him as the man who spoke to him on the morning in question). I went up Buck's row and saw a policeman shining his light on the pavement. He said, "Go for an ambulance," and I at once went to the station and returned with it. I assisted to remove the body. The blood appeared fresh, and was still running from the neck of the woman.
      The Coroner - There was another man in company with Cross?
      The Witness - Yes. I think he was also a carman.

The Echo contains valuable info on the exchanges between the Coroner and the Jury, far more than TMA, but it compares very favourably with what TMA reported. But also, as Dusty has already pointed out in previous posts, The Echo also confuses the issue with it's apparently incorrect placement of the words "There was blood running from the throat towards the gutter" (when you compare it with the rest of the newspapers).
      Very true. I didn't mean to leave the impression that I would completely disregard the Echo, but maybe try to read it more carefully and, like mentioned before, try to collate the information in a more organized manner.

Columbo

Comment

• Originally posted by Scott Nelson View Post
        She was killed for her money.

Secondarily, Bury was a misogynist and a psychopath, possible accounting for the mutilations.
        Ellen's money had largely been squandered by Bury by the time he murdered her. Bury being a misogynistic and a psychopath are indicator's that he may have been Jack.

Comment

• Originally posted by Columbo View Post
          Anger, rage. He stabbed her a number of times. He didn't cut her open, he didn't slice anything off. He just stabbed her.

Most of the time when someone is stabbed beyond what is necessary to kill them, it's an act of emotions. This happens more often with spouses then strangers, unless the stranger was so angered at the other person for something that triggered an emotional response.

With some Killers you get that kind of emotional response. Some victims as well will take out a lot of anger on an abusive spouse, boyfriend, parent etc.

It's well documented if you want to look it up. Bizarre, sick stuff.

Columbo
          To Colombo

It's worth noting that abdominal mutilation is actually very rare.

Cheers John

Comment

• Hello Billiou,

I'm at work at the moment but, I do have these to two available.
            The Standard and the Western Daily Press.
            Attached Files
            dustymiller
            aka drstrange

Comment

• Here's the Morning Post
              Attached Files
              dustymiller
              aka drstrange

Comment

• Originally posted by drstrange169 View Post
                Here's the Morning Post
                Thanks. That is what was reported in The Morning Advertiser. So it was syndicated.
                I point out this was posted in the past by David Orsam [http://forum.casebook.org/showthread...=9510&page=2]:
                Reporter A (The Times)
                Reporter B (The Star)
                Reporter C (Daily News/East London Observer/Daily Chronicle, Illustrated Police News/Eastern Argus & Borough of Hackney Times)
                Reporter D (Morning Post, Morning Advertiser, Evening Standard)
                Reporter E (Daily Telegraph, Lloyd's Weekly News, Weekly Dispatch)
                Reporter F (The Echo)
                Reporter G (Evening News)
                Reporter H (Evening Post)
                Reporter I (Globe)
                Reporter J (Birmingham Daily Post, Pall Mall Gazette)
                Last edited by Billiou; 05-12-2016, 11:15 PM. Reason: Adding attribution.

Comment

• Harry D: You don't see the difference in murdering in his own home compared to murdering on the streets or in a whore's bedroom with a broken window?

Yes I do - and I see the similarities too: neither place was sound isolated.

We're also assuming that the murder was premeditated, when in his own words he killed her in a drunken rage.

If he killed in a state where he culd not control the surrounding parameters, then that tells him apart from the Ripper.

On top of that, if Bury HAD cut Ellen's throat, it would've definitely buggered up his accidental death defence.

That ploy was never going to work anyway.

Maybe Polly began to regain consciousness and this was the origin of the Ripper's throat-cutting?

It´s world of maybe´s - some more, some less credible.

Comment

• Originally posted by Harry D View Post
                    Had a prostitute been found dead on the streets of Whitechapel in January 1889 with wounds similar to Ellen Bury... what are the chances of her being considered among the canonicals?
                    Look at MacKenzie and Coles, and there´s your answer.

Comment

Working...
                    X