Poisoning at the Priory

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poisoning at the Priory

Any thoughts on the death of Charles Bravo? Several possibilities in this poisoning death of an 1870's 30 year old barrister who seemed oddly indifferent to his fate. Yesult Bridges wrote about this case, although her theory is not widely held.

I recently read the online book by Antony Brown, after being introduced to his series with his iteration of the Wallace case.

Cold Case Jury is a series of books about historical but unsolved real-life crimes. Readers are asked to deliver their verdicts online about what most likely happened. Books include Move To Murder (the murder of Julia Wallace in 1931), Death of an Actress (the death of Gay Gibson on board the Durban Castle in 1947) and The Green Bicycle Mystery (the shooting of cyclist Bella Wright in 1919.

It's the 1st one on the list, if you're interested.

I think the evidence suggests Mrs. Cox was the most likely suspect, rather than suicide or his wife , Florence. I do not think Florence covered up the crime or knew about it, but that would be a possibility as well.

Originally posted by AmericanSherlock View Post
    I think the evidence suggests Mrs. Cox was the most likely suspect, rather than suicide or his wife , Florence. I do not think Florence covered up the crime or knew about it, but that would be a possibility as well.
    So, for you the verdict is definitely Murder, with Mrs Cox acting alone the most likely culprit?

I have one question that nagged at me while writing the book. Could Mrs Cox's behaviour be explained if Florence had poisoned her husband, Mrs Cox was told immediately after the fact, and then did everything she could to save Charles and protect Florence? (And made a few mistakes along the way).

Would appreciate your thoughts, as usual.
    Author of Cold Case Jury books: Move To Murder (2nd Edition) (2021), The Shark Arm Mystery (2020), Poisoned at the Priory (2020), Move to Murder (2018), Death of an Actress (2018), The Green Bicycle Mystery (2017) - "Armchair detectives will be delighted" - Publishers Weekly. Author of Crime & Mystery Hour - short fictional crime stories. And for something completely different - I'm the co-founder of Wow-Vinyl - celebrating the Golden Years of the British Single (1977-85)

Comment

Originally posted by ColdCaseJury View Post
      So, for you the verdict is definitely Murder, with Mrs Cox acting alone the most likely culprit?

I have one question that nagged at me while writing the book. Could Mrs Cox's behaviour be explained if Florence had poisoned her husband, Mrs Cox was told immediately after the fact, and then did everything she could to save Charles and protect Florence? (And made a few mistakes along the way).

Would appreciate your thoughts, as usual.

That is a very interesting possibility. There could be ambiguity in whether Mrs. Cox's behavior was motivated out of a murderous loyalty and allegiance to Florence, or if it was like you suggest an effort to both protect what she felt was a sympathetically guilty Florence, and still save Bravo's life.

Do you think that if this theory was correct, it would be with or without Florence's knowledge?

Yes, my verdict was murder with Mrs. Cox acting alone.

Comment

Originally posted by AmericanSherlock View Post
        I agree as I said on that other thread. In addition to Mrs. Cox, Florence and a group of other suspects as well as suicide, there are also other possibilities. The Most Mysterious Murder series posited that it was an accident in that Bravo was poisoning his wife but probably only to quell her heavy drinking and accidentally drank the mixture himself when he thought he was taking a laxative. There is also a manslaughter theory in that Florence and/or Mrs. Cox were poisoning Charles but just to make him too sick to keep getting his wife pregnant but miscalculated and gave him an unintentional fatal dose.
        This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

Comment

Originally posted by sdreid View Post
          I agree as I said on that other thread. In addition to Mrs. Cox, Florence and a group of other suspects as well as suicide, there are also other possibilities. The Most Mysterious Murder series posited that it was an accident in that Bravo was poisoning his wife but probably only to quell her heavy drinking and accidentally drank the mixture himself when he thought he was taking a laxative. There is also a manslaughter theory in that Florence and/or Mrs. Cox were poisoning Charles but just to make him too sick to keep getting his wife pregnant but miscalculated and gave him an unintentional fatal dose.
          Thanks, Stan. The accidental theory where it was Bravo who was the poisoner, but not with murderous intent, is interesting but I can't buy into it.

If I were going to go with another theory, I would go with Florence being guilty and Mrs. Cox helping cover it up.

Comment

Working...
          X