No announcement yet.

Greatest physicists of all time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A hydrogen atom lost its electron and went to the police station to file a missing electron report. He was questioned by the police: "Haven't you just misplaced it somewhere? Are you sure that your electron is really lost?"

I'm positive, came the reply.
    G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Newton may well have been the greatest mathematician of all time, in my opinion.

Yes, I think mathematicians group him with Archimedes and Euler as being in the running for that title.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert View Post
        Newton may well have been the greatest mathematician of all time, in my opinion.

Yes, I think mathematicians group him with Archimedes and Euler as being in the running for that title.
        Yup. I'd put gauss and reimann up there too

Comment

I think I’ll dress up as a scientist for Halloween. But which one?

My first reflex was to go as Pavlov. I may or may not go as Schrödinger, but I feel a pull towards Newton. Einstein would be a relatively good costume! My friend has naturally selected Darwin, and another friend has a burning desire to go as Bunsen. Going as Niels would be a Bohr. I heard a number of people are going as Avogadro, and a there’ll be lot of Henry Ford costumes that are exactly the same. There’s a pair of identical twins going as Watson and Crick. I’m sure a Franklin costume would be electrifying, but if you want to do something revolutionary, go with Copernicus. Or for something really shocking, try Tesla! Edison would also be a bright idea, but my mother suggested Freud instead. Too bad Mama will not let me go as Galileo.

Maybe I’ll go around as Johannes Kepler, or perhaps Alexander Graham Bell is called for. A tiny part of me wants to go as Planck though. Someone needs to explain to me how to dress as Feynman. If I could just make a Turing costume I could dress up as anything. I tried a Rontgen costume but you could see right through it. I wish I were hot enough for a Celsius costume or sexy enough for Kinsey. Maybe the cure is to go as Alexander Fleming. Heisenberg might work, but I’m uncertain. You know, a Carl Sagan costume would be pretty far out, or I could see myself dressed as Edwin Hubble. If you don’t mind making a big project out of it, you could make a J. Robert Oppenheimer costume. I heard Ernst Mach would work, but someone beat me to it. Maybe I’ll just go out with a bang as Alfred Nobel. Wait, I know — Eureka! Archimedes!

Comment

Originally posted by GUT View Post
            A hydrogen atom lost its electron and went to the police station to file a missing electron report. He was questioned by the police: "Haven't you just misplaced it somewhere? Are you sure that your electron is really lost?"

Lol!!

Comment

Originally posted by Svensson View Post

My first reflex was to go as Pavlov. I may or may not go as Schrödinger, but I feel a pull towards Newton. Einstein would be a relatively good costume! My friend has naturally selected Darwin, and another friend has a burning desire to go as Bunsen. Going as Niels would be a Bohr. I heard a number of people are going as Avogadro, and a there’ll be lot of Henry Ford costumes that are exactly the same. There’s a pair of identical twins going as Watson and Crick. I’m sure a Franklin costume would be electrifying, but if you want to do something revolutionary, go with Copernicus. Or for something really shocking, try Tesla! Edison would also be a bright idea, but my mother suggested Freud instead. Too bad Mama will not let me go as Galileo.

Maybe I’ll go around as Johannes Kepler, or perhaps Alexander Graham Bell is called for. A tiny part of me wants to go as Planck though. Someone needs to explain to me how to dress as Feynman. If I could just make a Turing costume I could dress up as anything. I tried a Rontgen costume but you could see right through it. I wish I were hot enough for a Celsius costume or sexy enough for Kinsey. Maybe the cure is to go as Alexander Fleming. Heisenberg might work, but I’m uncertain. You know, a Carl Sagan costume would be pretty far out, or I could see myself dressed as Edwin Hubble. If you don’t mind making a big project out of it, you could make a J. Robert Oppenheimer costume. I heard Ernst Mach would work, but someone beat me to it. Maybe I’ll just go out with a bang as Alfred Nobel. Wait, I know — Eureka! Archimedes!
              Your being very Heisenberg.

Comment

Shrodinger walked into a bar. Bartender asks "what'll you have?" Shrodinger says"I'll have a beer and I won't have a beer."

Comment

A. F. Möbius Walks into a bar. Bartender says why the long face? Möbius says my wife and I are not getting along. She says I'm one sided.

Comment

Originally posted by Svensson View Post

If you dressed up as Lavoissier, you might make me lose my head! I have heard glowing reports about costumes of the Curies, especially Marie. Given my own ballooning figure, I may go as one of the Montgoffier Brothers. But if my mood is centered and sunny I may go as Copernicus.

Comment

Sir Humphrey Davy looked at Faraday who seemed distant and sad, gazing through the open window. "What's wrong Michael?", he asked. The other shook his head and said, "I feel just like a candle in the wind." Sir Humphrey shook his head. "Sorry I wish I could enlighten you a bit!"

Comment

Trevethick and Stephenson have their eyes trained on a distant point. Peter Cooper would look at it too, but with his telescope he's all "Tom Thumbs".

Comment

I am currently reading "A Universe from Nothing" by Lawrence Krauss or should I say attempting to read since I was an English Literature major and always pretty dumb in science. It addresses the question of whether the universe can create itself from "nothing." I have heard that Krauss is a candidate for the Nobel Prize.

He is also an atheist and so the book attempts to address the question of whether the universe requited a creator.

c.d.

Comment

Yeah, how cool is it to INVENT Calculus.

Although on the less flattering side I have read that his personal hygiene was not up to snuff.

c.d.

Comment

A turtle walks into a police station to report that he has been beaten up by snails. The police officer asks him if he got a good look at them. He says no, it all happened so fast.

c.d.

Comment

Originally posted by c.d. View Post
                                Yeah, how cool is it to INVENT Calculus.

Although on the less flattering side I have read that [Newton's] personal hygiene was not up to snuff.
                                Not that he'd have worried about it unduly, as he had little regard for matters corporeal - to the extent that, curious about how human vision worked, he once shoved a bodkin into his own eye to jiggle the lens and observe the effects it produced.
                                Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Working...
                                X