Help the technologically disadvantaged

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help the technologically disadvantaged

I joined the casebook today so this is my first post and it's a question. I really am utterly clueless with technology so, patience please. I tried to jump on the chat room but when I clicked it came up saying something like 'this plug-in is not supported.' Could someone explain this to me please, preferably in words that a Victorian chimney-sweep would understand? I have an IPadPro, which is wasted on me, does this mean I will not be able to access the chat room? Thanks everyone.
    Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post
    I joined the casebook today so this is my first post and it's a question. I really am utterly clueless with technology so, patience please. I tried to jump on the chat room but when I clicked it came up saying something like 'this plug-in is not supported.' Could someone explain this to me please, preferably in words that a Victorian chimney-sweep would understand? I have an IPadPro, which is wasted on me, does this mean I will not be able to access the chat room? Thanks everyone.
    Yep, chat room doesn't run on iPad.

But it's not visited very often anyway.
    G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Thanks for that.
      Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

Welcome, Herlock.

You may not be able to access the (seldom visited) chatroom but you should now be able to use the IM facility as I believe the threshold is 25 posts.
        I won't always agree but I'll try not to be disagreeable.

Comment

Thanks for the reply Bridewell. Unfortunately I really am useless with technology as I said. How does IM work? What do I do?
          Regards
          HS
          Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

IM is instant message, so let's say you want to message Bridewell click his name above one of his posts, one option will be send message, top right of any screen you see your screen name and below that "private messages" I'll send you one as a test.
            G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Pretty much every time I make a post I have to log back in before I put it up. Is there any way of increasing the time allowance for making a post?

Thanks
              Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post
                Pretty much every time I make a post I have to log back in before I put it up. Is there any way of increasing the time allowance for making a post?
                Have you ticked the "remember me" box on the login screen? That'll keep you logged in forever, as far as I can tell.

Mind you I'm a speed typist, so I haven't encountered this issue myself. Perhaps there is a timeout on postings of which I've never been aware.
                Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
                  Have you ticked the "remember me" box on the login screen? That'll keep you logged in forever, as far as I can tell.

Mind you I'm a speed typist, so I haven't encountered this issue myself. Perhaps there is a timeout on postings of which I've never been aware.
                  I’ll try that Gareth, thanks
                  Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

Attaching a photo

Sorry if this has been covered a hundred times but, here goes, i can't see the paperclip to allow attachments, I'm sure I've done it before but, I can't see it to attach photos.

Please help.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob1n View Post
                      Sorry if this has been covered a hundred times but, here goes, i can't see the paperclip to allow attachments, I'm sure I've done it before but, I can't see it to attach photos.

Please help.
                      I don't think the board software uses a paperclip. If you want to attach a photo from your own pc or tablet, click either "reply" or "quote". You should see a dialogue box below your reply that says "additional options". One of these will be "attach files". That's what you want. It should be there by default if you're starting a new thread. If you use "quick reply" instead of "reply", you may have to choose "advanced options" to see the menu.

If you want to include a picture from the internet (as opposed to locally stored), then click on the icon above the text field that shows a red sun over a green mountain. That allows you to enter the web address (URL) of the picture.

Hope this helps.
                      - Ginger

Comment

Hit post reply.

Paper clip is on top line.

Though I use the icon below it looks a bit like a stamp, next to the quote box thing.
                        G U T

Comment

Thanks G U T

Comment

If it doesn’t work give me a yell.
                            G U T

Comment

G U T , i saw the stamp thing and it asks for a url - you got me!
                              There is no paperclip on the top line, I'm sure there used to be as I'm also sure I have attached photos before.

Confused.

Comment

Working...
                              X