Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Witnesses: Robert Paul Time Issues - by Fisherman 2 hours ago.
A6 Murders: A6 Rebooted - by Sherlock Houses 3 hours ago.
General Discussion: The Double Event - by Fisherman 6 hours ago.
A6 Murders: A6 Rebooted - by moste 9 hours ago.
General Discussion: Double event in Buck's Row? - by Joshua Rogan 11 hours ago.
Witnesses: One mention wonders - by Joshua Rogan 11 hours ago.

Most Popular Threads:
General Discussion: The Double Event - (13 posts)
A6 Murders: A6 Rebooted - (4 posts)
Witnesses: Robert Paul Time Issues - (2 posts)
General Suspect Discussion: Kansas Physician Confirms Howard Report - (1 posts)
Dear Boss Letter: Thomas Bulling-CNA - (1 posts)
Witnesses: One mention wonders - (1 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Social Chat > Other Mysteries > A6 Murders

Old Yesterday, 11:35 AM
Detective

(Factual)J H. said he was looking for Talbot, Tarleton or something like that. .This is a view of Taliesin street 1965.
At the end of this street on the right, and on the corner of Scotland road, is Cowley"s tobacconists. (speculative)Could it have been Taliesin that he was looking for, and directed to, and the name from memory simply didn't seem right. Or,
being of a very suspicious nature, and with another dash of speculative thinking, I wonder if , Hanratty was actually looking for 'Mr.Cowley' for the purpose of 'getting rid of his bits and pieces?
(Factual) Vauxhall, this area of north Liverpool, was soon to become due for slum clearance, Mr.Cowley when this photo was taken, in 1965, would have been acquainted, if not on regular friendly terms with 'Acting Chief Constable, Herbert Richard Balmer ,as by this time Cowley was Lord Mayor of Liverpool. Interesting I thought.
Attached Images

Last edited by moste : Yesterday at 11:37 AM.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:07 PM
Detective

I wouldn't have thought a tobacconist and local alderman would have been a likely fence for stolen goods. David Cowley became Mayor of Liverpool in 1965 and had a brick lobbed at him when opening a controversial reservoir in North Wales. The demonstrators had managed to cut the microphone wires so his great moment went largely unheard above the catcalls.

There was an Inspector Cowley on the Liverpool police force back in 1944, but whether this was a relation would be hard to find out.

Bert Balmer was certainly around at that time, and seems to have had the knack of making a good pinch. Sir Sydney Jones, a local shipowner and Mayor during WW2, was robbed and badly beaten up in 1945, later dying partly due to his injuries. Bert nabbed the villains responsible and was awarded 10GBP for his efforts, this at a time when a beat bobby was on around 5GBP per week.
Old Yesterday, 07:26 PM
Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt View Post
I wouldn't have thought a tobacconist and local alderman would have been a likely fence for stolen goods. David Cowley became Mayor of Liverpool in 1965 and had a brick lobbed at him when opening a controversial reservoir in North Wales. The demonstrators had managed to cut the microphone wires so his great moment went largely unheard above the catcalls.

There was an Inspector Cowley on the Liverpool police force back in 1944, but whether this was a relation would be hard to find out.

Bert Balmer was certainly around at that time, and seems to have had the knack of making a good pinch. Sir Sydney Jones, a local shipowner and Mayor during WW2, was robbed and badly beaten up in 1945, later dying partly due to his injuries. Bert nabbed the villains responsible and was awarded 10GBP for his efforts, this at a time when a beat bobby was on around 5GBP per week.
Very interesting. I remember the valley flooding in Wales ,total devastation for all the people with farms ,the villagers ,and cottage home owners. There was probably an empty valley over the next hillside with a river flowing through it but they didn't want to spend the time and money running a longer pipe .Cowley getting hot and bothered,trying to make speeches over the din of protesters and with duff microphones
I believe the 'powers that be' apologized years later to the Welsh people.
As for newsagents not being fences, why not ?I know of an umbrella repair man who probably was.

Last edited by moste : Yesterday at 07:28 PM.
Old Today, 01:21 AM
Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by moste View Post
(Factual)J H. said he was looking for Talbot, Tarleton or something like that. .This is a view of Taliesin street 1965.
At the end of this street on the right, and on the corner of Scotland road, is Cowley"s tobacconists. (speculative)Could it have been Taliesin that he was looking for, and directed to, and the name from memory simply didn't seem right.
This is an acute observation Moste and one I've often wondered about, given Hanratty's educational limitations and learning difficulties.
A good example of this can be seen in one of his statements he made. soon after his arrest, about staying with three Liverpool friends

......."During the three days I was in Liverpool I stayed with McNally in a block of flats known as the Bull Ring or the Gardens in Scotland Road, or a road just off it, Skellone Road."

This statement I find very interesting indeed. The reason being that there is no such road as Skellone Road. There is however a well known (to Liverpudlians) road called Skelhorne Street (at the side of Lime Street Station) at the top end of which is located St Andrew's Gardens, often referred to as the Bull Ring because of it's layout and design. It is quite feasible that the Gerrard Gardens (off Scotland Road) mentioned at the trial could have mixed up with St Andrews Gardens. Both were very similar in design. Food for thought.

Very interesting photo of Taliesin Street incidentally, especially seeing the coal wagon which was very popular in those days.

"Justice is an ideal which transcends the expedience of the State, or the sensitivities of Government officials, or private individuals. IT HAS TO BE PURSUED WHATEVER THE COST IN PEACE OF MIND TO THOSE CONCERNED." --'Justice of the Peace' [July 12th 1975]